PDA

View Full Version : West Side Story: Irvine’s Left Coast Delivers Plenty Of Action

AnglerBob
12-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Anglers on Irvine’s fabled West Shore Thursday were treated to a fisherman’s remix of this maudlin musical—but while the “Jets” flew overhead en route to John Wayne airport, it was the “Sharks” below that got our attention.

Arriving at the lake around 7:15 am, I decided to drive to the old picnic site and hike down to the West shore for a 1/2 day of bait fishing. From the old abandoned house, it’s an easy walk down (less easy coming back up).

I chose a mud-covered rock outcropping improbably carved with graffiti. I had to admire the amount of chiseling work that went into this, like Roman engraving. I considered adding my own tag, “ANGLER BOB WAS SKVNKED HERE,” but as it turns out I would not have so much free time.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-12.jpg
Cold sunrise at Irvine

I tossed out two lines, one with a nightcrawler/PB combo and one with the light green garlic PB the tackle shop guy had recommended. At first, no action—but the guys on the muddy beach to my left were killin’ them, as were the guys on the point to my right. Observing the stained water, I shortened the leaders and applied generous Berkley “corn” scent. That did the trick, as the first fish came within minutes.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-16.jpg
First fish arrives

After that, it was a strike every half hour. I missed a lot of fish and lost many trying to land them on the slippery rocks. I finally had better luck with leading them over to the nearby beach.

Around 10am as the sun beat down on the water, the bite slowed considerably, but there was still occasional action. I put on a larger sinker for increased casting distance and it seemed to help. The bites grew more tentative and there were several instances of bait theft. Around 11:00am, I reeled in a slightly larger model of 1.5 lbs or so.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-14.jpg
Biggest fish of the day, but an unlikely jackpot contender

Early in the day the PB was the hot ticket; later, the inflated NC/PB combo took most of the glory. This is often the killer bait at the Vine, perhaps because it imitates something the fish see in nature so often: a giant pumped-up worm, suspended in mid-water, apparently giving birth to a flourescent green gum wad, soaked in yellow slime.

Ended the day at 1:30 with four landed, several more lost, lots of fun. My results seemed typical as most guys around me were succeeding with many limits. All fish caught and observed were under two pounds today, with the bigger units nowhere to be found. Boaters did not seem to be doing as well today and few were trolling. I’d expect the troll bite to pick back up as the post-storm water continues to clear. Air temp was very cold (40F) in the morning, warming to a beautiful and balmy 75 or so by midday. Winds were unusually light the entire day.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-13.jpg
Trout-filled lake with snow-capped San Gabriels in the background

Quick tip for anyone heading out: along most of the Southern West shore, there’s a dirt road which is open to vehicle traffic during low-water periods, now underwater. It makes an appealing shelf for trout if you can find it—I attempted with my Hummindbird Smartcast but couldn’t get it to work.

Also, would recommend anyone purchasing worms at the bait shop check them out before proceeding. I had to drive back upon discovering mine were deceased, and not that recently, it would seem. A minor annoyance, but the same thing happened last trip also. They really need one of those Worm Checker devices.

Thisfool
12-19-2009, 02:42 AM
nice report and nice fish

thanks for the good read

2jackedLUNGS
12-19-2009, 11:24 AM
thanks for the report. sounds like you were busy, which is all one can ask for.

Troutman65
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice report . Thanks for posting up :Cool:

pasadenafishin
12-19-2009, 01:36 PM
anglinging for a free pass? haha
but honestly great report!

vanillagurilla
12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
i was over there yesterday and got 0 on plastics. fish arent schooling so you gota work a lot with plastics all over in a boat or trolling. bait was hitting ok over there the yesterday too. i worked from the point that was on your right all the way down the west shore untill i found my self standing on near vertical cliffs lol. i left and went to yorba and cought 20-25 fish lol.

fongster
12-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Thx for the report--hilarious, yet informative. A must read! Going Monday ourselves.

AnglerBob
12-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys. Vanillaguru I know what you mean once the water level comes up it's impossible to walk past that rocky point. I tried it once and almost broke my neck lol. Congrats on your 20-25 fish @ Yorba Linda, that's fantastic.

vanillagurilla
12-20-2009, 01:04 PM
its not to bad, theres just ALOT of water at irvine for the fishies to be hiding in.

bruce watson
12-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the report. Looks like the kind of hike that not many would want to take.

klymons
12-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Anglers on Irvine’s fabled West Shore Thursday were treated to a fisherman’s remix of this maudlin musical—but while the “Jets” flew overhead en route to John Wayne airport, it was the “Sharks” below that got our attention.

Arriving at the lake around 7:15 am, I decided to drive to the old picnic site and hike down to the West shore for a 1/2 day of bait fishing. From the old abandoned house, it’s an easy walk down (less easy coming back up).

I chose a mud-covered rock outcropping improbably carved with graffiti. I had to admire the amount of chiseling work that went into this, like Roman engraving. I considered adding my own tag, “ANGLER BOB WAS SKVNKED HERE,” but as it turns out I would not have so much free time.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-12.jpg
Cold sunrise at Irvine

I tossed out two lines, one with a nightcrawler/PB combo and one with the light green garlic PB the tackle shop guy had recommended. At first, no action—but the guys on the muddy beach to my left were killin’ them, as were the guys on the point to my right. Observing the stained water, I shortened the leaders and applied generous Berkley “corn” scent. That did the trick, as the first fish came within minutes.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-16.jpg
First fish arrives

After that, it was a strike every half hour. I missed a lot of fish and lost many trying to land them on the slippery rocks. I finally had better luck with leading them over to the nearby beach.

Around 10am as the sun beat down on the water, the bite slowed considerably, but there was still occasional action. I put on a larger sinker for increased casting distance and it seemed to help. The bites grew more tentative and there were several instances of bait theft. Around 11:00am, I reeled in a slightly larger model of 1.5 lbs or so.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-14.jpg
Biggest fish of the day, but an unlikely jackpot contender

Early in the day the PB was the hot ticket; later, the inflated NC/PB combo took most of the glory. This is often the killer bait at the Vine, perhaps because it imitates something the fish see in nature so often: a giant pumped-up worm, suspended in mid-water, apparently giving birth to a flourescent green gum wad, soaked in yellow slime.

Ended the day at 1:30 with four landed, several more lost, lots of fun. My results seemed typical as most guys around me were succeeding with many limits. All fish caught and observed were under two pounds today, with the bigger units nowhere to be found. Boaters did not seem to be doing as well today and few were trolling. I’d expect the troll bite to pick back up as the post-storm water continues to clear. Air temp was very cold (40F) in the morning, warming to a beautiful and balmy 75 or so by midday. Winds were unusually light the entire day.
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/AnglerBob/LastImport-13.jpg
Trout-filled lake with snow-capped San Gabriels in the background

Quick tip for anyone heading out: along most of the Southern West shore, there’s a dirt road which is open to vehicle traffic during low-water periods, now underwater. It makes an appealing shelf for trout if you can find it—I attempted with my Hummindbird Smartcast but couldn’t get it to work.

Also, would recommend anyone purchasing worms at the bait shop check them out before proceeding. I had to drive back upon discovering mine were deceased, and not that recently, it would seem. A minor annoyance, but the same thing happened last trip also. They really need one of those Worm Checker devices.

The Vine is famous for their "Dead Zone" nightcrawlers. And if they aren't dead, they're comatose, hardly moving. After several bad experiences, I don't get my crawlers at the lake any more. The best ones I've found are at Big Five--I've never gotten a bad batch from them.

2quikmotorwerks
12-20-2009, 06:31 PM
The Vine is famous for their "Dead Zone" nightcrawlers. And if they aren't dead, they're comatose, hardly moving. After several bad experiences, I don't get my crawlers at the lake any more. The best ones I've found are at Big Five--I've never gotten a bad batch from them.Irvine does have worm checkers all u have to do is ask they keep them behind the counter

Freshness21
12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
I would have to agree with klymons. No knock on the Vine b/c I love it there, but it seems like their worms are made out of tissue paper.

As soon as they hit the water - POOF - then you're left with an empty hook

troutdog
12-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Solid report right there, liking the increase in quality reports...thanks for sharing the day on FNN!

TD