PDA

View Full Version : Pete Thomas fired

fishtacomag
12-18-2009, 02:28 PM
If you don't know who Pete was he was the outdoor writer for the LA Times. He did a great job and covered fishing, skiing, hiking, whale watching what ever. I have had the pleasure of calling him my friend and fishing with him for around 15 years. I guess the Times thought people did not like to read about the outdoors but I think they are wrong. But all newspapers are getting thinner and thinner as the internet and tough economy takes its toll on newspapers. I wish Pete well--he is a good writer and hopefully something will come up for him.
shawn

Sierra_Smitty
12-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Wow, that really sucks Shawn. First the OC Regsiter drops Strege, now the LA Times drops Pete. If you talk to Pete, give him my best - this is a tough time to be out of work, especially for a writer.

Newspapers have really been hit hard, first by technology and then by the economy - tough stuff.

Those of you guys who have gotten to know Pete are fortunate, he's a great guy with a passion for the outdoors and is one hell of a writer. I'm sure he'll land on his feet but it still sucks. I think the Times made a big mistake. I also think that the big papers turning a cold shoulder to outdoor recreation is a disturbing sign of the times and something us anglers and outdoor enthusiasts should be concerned about.

Spongerider
12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Heads up Pete has his own Blog. If you're a fan of his check it out! :Smile:

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/