PDA

View Full Version : Fire in Independance!

Carrie
07-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey everyone!!

This isn't a fishing report....sadly...lol. BUT there is quite a fire in Indy right now and the 395 is shut down! Apparently, lightining struck the Mtns by Onion Valley and so some of my friends at Manzanar live by there had to quickly get up there!

I drove back home this weekend to get some stuff for next week and 2 hrs later the 395 is shut down. Please pray for the town and my boys that I work with! Some of their dads r cops and in this! I don't know if they will have to evacuate the town....hopefully not!

Anyways, luckily I am back home this weekend but.....don't know how easy it will be to drive up the 395 this weekend!

Troutman65
07-06-2007, 09:54 PM
:shock: Hopefully they will get it knocked down really quick. My prayers tonight are with you and everyone that might be affected by the fire.

Troutman65

vancej
07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Carrie. The fires are between Indy and Big Pine. 385 is closed at the north end of Indy and south of Big Pine. From what i understand there 7 different fires. Onion Vally and Oak Creek are the largest. They are burning on both sides of 395 at this time and also into the Sierras. There is also a large fire in Big Pine canyon above the lodge. All started about 1 pm from dry lighting.

Dean Wormer
07-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Carrie. The fires are between Indy and Big Pine. 385 is closed at the north end of Indy and south of Big Pine. From what i understand there 7 different fires. Onion Vally and Oak Creek are the largest. They are burning on both sides of 395 at this time and also into the Sierras. There is also a large fire in Big Pine canyon above the lodge. All started about 1 pm from dry lighting.

Well, that sucks big time for sure......best of luck to all.....Both critters and peeps!

8)

one_leg
07-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Carrie,
I hope everything works out for the best.

One_Leg

peterl
07-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi All,

I am a F/F in Southern California (Riverside)

These fires (called the Inyo Complex) and large and are growing. Lots of resources from up and down the state are being sent to these fires. The fires are expected to get quite a bit larger today.

There are 3 large fires totallying more than 7,000 acres. 395 is closed and unknown when it will open.

If the group would like, I will post updates as I get them.

Prayers for the folks living up there and my brothers and sisters fighting the fires.

Pete

vancej
07-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Pete. Hi Heres a good site to get updates on the Inyo Complex http://www.inciweb.org/incident/767/
395 is now open but the road was burned in some spots and is kinda rough.
Thanks for the update.
Vance

Carrie
07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I have been watching the news and there isn't anything on this!!? The boys I work with at Manzanar have been calling me and giving me details, but I have to drive back up there tomorrow afternoon. I am hoping no ones houses will be affected or that Manzanar doesn't get affected either since the fire is higher up. BUT it is bad enough that the fires are burning the land up as it is!

Draven
07-07-2007, 05:40 PM
As long as no ones house is burnt, or any historical places are destroyed I am happy. As far as the fire goes, the earth actually needs to be burnt at certain times. For example, some seeds can only germinate at tempuratures above the heat of fire.

gwjones00
07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
From other websites.....

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/37770/page/1#Post37770

http://www.panamintcharlie.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2986&highlight=

395 is closed at the Kern/Inyo line up to Big Pine. Mandatory evacuations in Independence....

Hope everyone is okay!

Carrie
07-07-2007, 07:07 PM
395 is closed at the Kern/Inyo line up to Big Pine. Mandatory evacuations in Independence....

Hope everyone is okay!

Some of my friends from Indy just called me along with the boys. There are evacuation shelters in Lone Pine. Many of my friends r sitting by the LA Aqueduct off Mazurka Canyon. There are around 23 cars chillin out there in the desert cuz they don't want to leave their place. :cry:

I am supposed to go back to my house tomorrow so don't know if I can now. Will see how all this pans out! I guess they were trying to save the Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery and the Eastern Cali Museum. I hope it all ends okay....

gwjones00
07-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Follow this link to read from someone in Big Pine...

http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20698&highlight=

Spike/Hunter
07-07-2007, 08:23 PM
by when does anybody think or know the 395 is going to be open

mx4life
07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
This really makes me sick!!! I have been going to independence since I was like 8 months old like 5 times a year and hearing that it is on fire is a real bummer. Its like my home away from home, I know every nook and crany of the place. I just cant even belive this. And the Mt. Whitney fish hachery might be in danger really hits a soft spot. O man this is a realy bad deal. If that fire hits the Owens its a lost match for those F.F. Id really hate to think about the feilds around the town to. My thoughts and prayers out to all involved. Keep us posted.

Bryson

Carrie
07-08-2007, 01:23 AM
I will post an update on here tomorrow since I have to drive back up to Indy to go to work on Monday. Everyone was able to go back to their homes in Indy but not too sure if the 395 is open yet. The guys told me it isn't but should be tomorrow. I will find out soon enough!

peterl
07-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Vance,

That is the same link I would suggest.

Last update was over 37,000 acres.

Lots of resources being sent there from Southern California.

Best of luck to everyone there.

Peter

Pete. Hi Heres a good site to get updates on the Inyo Complex http://www.inciweb.org/incident/767/
395 is now open but the road was burned in some spots and is kinda rough.
Thanks for the update.
Vance

Carrie
07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Well going home to Indy today was interesting. The 395 is open but there are a bunch of warning signs for crossing fire trucks and smoke. There is A LOT of smoke up here. When I got home there were some notes at my door. One was a warning to drink bottled water or boil my tap water. Apparently, the Independence town water system reservoir roof collapsed from the fire so out of precautions we have to drink bottled water so that we don’t get stomach or intestinal illness until they fix it.

When I got home there were a bunch of fire trucks all over and people’s stuff was strewn all over their yards.…most likely from evacuatin the other day. Everything is fine now and none of the historical buildings burned down. From my house I can still see in the mtns how high up the fire is but at least no where close to here now. Hopefully they put it out soon!

Here is a view from across the street by where I live:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0708071624.jpg

Looking up tonight towards the mtns I can still see flames high above Indy but they are getting it out....lucliky.

DreStyle
07-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Glad to hear you were able to make it back up there and that everyone in Independence got back to their homes without any damage. I'm sure it'll take them awhile to get it completely contained but it sounds like they're making progress.

Scott H.
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, there appears to be more t-storms forecast this week.

I've been up there during lightning storms and I've seen small fires started in the hills just below Sage Flats (Big Pine). The firefighters usually put them right out but not this time.

BTW, I believe that other than CDF fire crews in the area, Bishop and Big Pine have volunteer fire departments. They do a great job up there and they keep pretty busy with fires started by lightning this time of year.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Carrie
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Yeah this place is going back to normal now.... :D There are several volunteer fire depts up here actually. There were fire fighters up here fighting the fires from Riverside, Ontario, Colton, etc. (much of southern Cali).

Unfortunatly, Big Pine's lodge burned down and a few of the boys I work with.....some of their friends houses way up high burned down :cry: Luckily, mostly everything is still intact.

I have to go to a town meeting tonight for the town of Indy to figure out what to do about our water....fun times!

mx4life
07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know if the campgrounds up the hill are gone along with 7 pines. Did the hatchery survive so far. There isnt much news about this from anywhere.

Scott H.
07-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Unfortunatly, Big Pine's lodge burned down and a few of the boys I work with.....some of their friends houses way up high burned down :cry: Luckily, mostly everything is still intact.

The Lodge burned down about 10 years ago. Did the cabins burn down in this fire? If so, I would be incredibly heartbroken. My family has been camping, fishing, hiking, etc. out of the Glacier Lodge area for four generations now. The owner may just be put out of business by this even if the cabins have not burned down.

Anyone with information?

gwjones00
07-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Quoted from another website http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/37770/page/1#Post37770

"This was posted by the father of an Independence Volunteer firefighter on Bajanomad.com:

I found this report from my son, Phil on my computer this morning:
Subject: RE: LATEST ON OWENS VALLEY FIRES

Hello:

I just got released for tonight. The fires are very bad and very fast and very hot. It is true that the Ashworth property has burned. The hatchery was saved by chemical drops along the west boundary of the hatchery, east boundary of Ashworth’s (two drops) from planes and the work of a lot of fire crews from multi agencies. The fire has not gone further down Oak Creek so far.

It is true that CDF and many others did everything they could. CDF lost a truck in by the main house (it is still there burned) and had to jump into the pond to save themselves. One or two were very badly burned (3rd degree) and flown out. I am told they did get Delores out. All buildings and all trees are burned down at the place. It is very shocking and sad to see what fire can do and how fast it can do it. I have talked to Jim Ashworth and JD on the phone and expect them both here tomorrow or Monday. I have gone up and looked at the place. Only the chimneys are standing and burned trees. It is very dangerous now as trees can fall over anytime and things are still burning. I very much regret having to tell everyone this news but I am here and have seen it. At the same time, the creeks are running and the place can be cleaned up and will grow again. It will take some work but it can be done.

This morning at about 4:30 a.m. the Ashworth property was fine and we had managed to save the cabins at Seven Pines. 8 mile ranch burned but the house and main out buildings were saved. Only by Gods grace and Dulce’s courage was she able to avoid the fire and she is fine. I found her about 3:30 a.m. standing in a corner of the lot I had her on with all the trees burned or burning around her. Many people had looked for her but no one could find her. She was by the creek up wind from the fire and she was not burned at all. Smart and very brave horse. It only took a second and I was able to put her halter on and walk her out through the fires. She was eating hay as soon as she found it while I was talking to people and she is in a safe place now. Praise God.

So far the town (Independence) is safe but wind can move the fire very quickly as it did today. The fire has come all the way down Independence Creek to the County campgrounds where it stopped. It burned out the town water station and we are required to boil water for now. There are major efforts to keep the fire from crossing Independence Creek and going South and East into town. Our Fire Department is pretty much left to protect town and Fort Independence now as the danger to most remote houses is over due to burning all around them that has created good fire breaks and many crews are here and in charge of brush fires.

We were called out today at about 2:00 p.m. and the fire that came down south fork of Oak Creek was at the Bright ranch (I am told their home was saved but not much else, I haven’t seen it yet). The fire showed no sign of moving then. We were called to put out a “hot spot� fire north of Fort Independence. I was at 8 mile ranch and drove by when the fire was about 20 feet in diameter. When the fire department got to the fire it was on both sides of the highway and moving North fast over a large area. Another fire fighter and I were fighting a fire by the road side on the highway and had to jump in the truck and drive away with all lines out still as the fire came up both sides of the road and began to burn by and surround our truck and the Fire chief in his truck. The fire has easily jumped the highway several times now. Even with a full powered 1 ½ inch line blasting water, I could not slow or even reduce the fire. This is just an example of how this fire can and does move. We have all been careful but this is a scary fire.

By 5:00 P.M. or so everything down to the Hatchery had burned. The Oak Creek camp ground burned last night. I do recall looking up as I was driving by and seeing the line of fire from the base of the Sierras to South Fork Creek coming down the hill very fast. They had widened the fire break at the road but with the hot fast wind, spot fires start everywhere, even miles away and with dry brush the spot fires grow and move very fast. It only takes one spark in the trees to get things going and water becomes like gasoline, or so it seems. It is very dry here and there was very little water this winter. The fire just came down the hill from the Bright Ranch in a long line and went right through the place.

Tomorrow or tonight the fire could move again. While much of the valley and mountains have burned there is still a lot of fuel (brush & trees) and places for the fire to go. If a house in town caught fire it would spread very quickly in the heat and wind and could burn much of the town very fast. There is still a lot of fire burning and hot spots all around. Fortunately, places that have burned have burned so hot that there is nothing left but ash and this provides solid fire breaks. We all have a good idea where the burned areas are and where the vulnerabilities continue to exist. God willing this is over and the fire will burn out on its own. We do have huge firefighting resources here now including multiple helicopters and airplanes. They are very effective and there are hundreds of crew members working. Our fire Department is getting some sleep for now. Me too."

Scott H.
07-09-2007, 08:42 PM
That Death Valley net blog is a GREAT source of information. The gentleman lives right at the end of Crocker as you head up in to the canyon. I posted a request for info from him and will let you guys know what I hear. I know some of you enjoy the Big Pine/Palisades Glacier area.

Carrie, keep us posted about Independence. I'm really concerned about that area as well, of course.

gwjones00
07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Scott:

David has had an active couple of days - but you should check the website over at death-valley.net...

He has posted a response for you!

Scott H.
07-09-2007, 10:28 PM
GW, thanks for letting me know. He says that it appears that Glacier Lodge and the campgrounds were not threatened. Huge relief!

Granny Fish
07-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Very sorry to hear about all the fire and the damage it leaves behind in it's wake. Glad to hear that things seem to be calming down. Hope, Carrie, that you are able to get back to your job and things will get a sense of normal again. Keep us posted.

FemaleFishinFool
07-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Sorry to hear about the widespead damage caused by the fire. Even more saddened to hear two FF were severly burned. My thoughts and prayers to them and their families.

FFF

Carrie
07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Well last night’s meeting in Independence was interesting. All of the DWP, Fire Crews and even the governor was there. They gave us a heads up of the fire. It was 77% contained and several firefighters were injured and sent to the hospital. Total personnel used was 1,164. Many of them were volunteers!

Here is a GPS map created of how big the fire actually was:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0709072107.jpg

The meeting:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0709071946.jpg

The town of course was upset. Our water supply is damaged for right now so we have to go get water behind the court house or Owens Valley School. They are bringing in a water system from Bakersfield until the town gets the $ and resources to fix the reservoir for Independence. Luckily I came home today and there was a huge box of water in my front yard.

BUT….today I was working at the Whitney Portal with the Inyo National Forest rangers. I was using one of their radios:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/0710071227.jpg

And as luck would have it after listening in I found out that there is now, since this morning, a fire up by June Lakes Loop. Soooo….the 395 is once again shut down. It was from dry lightening again…and this is forecasted to go on for awhile. It rained on us today at Whitney so the weather has been interesting. It def. pays to work with the Forest Rangers. They give valuable info.

As far as what everyone is asking about Indy....it has calmed down here! The fire fighters are all north now! The fish hatchery and Eastern Cali Museum are still standing. The museum is shut down and the artifacts were shipped out so now they have to bring it all back! Everything is still here luckily! I am so thankful that we are all safe and that everyone is still here! U guys would not believe the stories I heard from the boys I work with or my co-workers at Manzanar. Some of these people went through A LOT! The family that lost their house was at the meeting. The woman was in tears and I just hugged her even tho I barely knew her. They pretty much lost their whole house!!

The fire fighters that jumped into the water at the fish hatchery were burned but luckily still alive. What craziness this all is!! I will keep u guys posted about any more info I find out but coming up here for fishing right now might be tough. It is kind of chaotic!

Scott H.
07-11-2007, 08:53 AM
information. This gentleman has been kind enough to keep us strangers posted on developments. He drove up into Big Pine Canyon yesterday and took pictures.

http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewt ... aaa31be815 (http://www.death-valley.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20698&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=d622a9d3174798043c0eaeaaa31be815)

one_leg
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Carrie, I'm glad to hear that things are getting better where you are.

FYI, you look like a natural with the FS radio!!!! 8) One_Leg loves women in uniform.

Probably pretty hard to do much archealogy when everything is on fire.

I wonder if they will discover any new Native American Indian settlements now that the fire has exposed more terrain?

Thanks for the updates.

One_Leg

Spike/Hunter
07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
does anybody have a site to look up info on the june lake loop fire

Slims
07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
does anybody have a site to look up info on the june lake loop fire

I just got back from June lake village. I actually saw the bolt of lightning that started the fire. I told my brother "thats gonna cause another fire" and sure enough it did.

Thank God it started to rain last night and it rained until about 8 AM. It must have helped the fire fighters a lot. When I left the loop around 11 AM this morning, the fire looked to be out, but it must not have been. The CHP was still diverting traffic into june lake, and they had to take the loop all the way around in order to get on the 395 north of the june lake junction.

Long story short-the hills were still smoldering, but I didnt see any flames like i did last night. And the 395 north was closed at the june lake junction.

Spike/Hunter
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
went to the inyo web and found that altough the june lake fire is 80% contained and supposed to be completely contained tonight which is good news BUT theres a new fire called the slinkard fire up the hill from the topaz guard station many of the fire fighters are moving to this new area

Carrie
07-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I kind of figured this was going to go on for awhile!! Yeah....the June fire is done! There is just a lot of smoke. The 395 is open again....but I really do not know when these fires will stop. I was going to go up north this weekend and fish but with all this I really do not know. I am going to camp at Devil's Postpile all next week with my boys and we will be fishing up there...soo I can finally post fishing reports again! The following week we will be at the Channel Islands (Santa Cruz) all week so maybe more fishing then. Anyways, the fires are gettin better. I hope some of u can come up here and visit if u ever get a chance!

one_leg
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the update, Carrie. Have fun, and maybe I'll see you sooner than you think. :wink:

One_Leg

xtranzman
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Carrie,

We are on our way up there Saturday morning early and coming back Tuesday. Still thinking about giving you a call when we are on the way back....

X

Spike/Hunter
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
ive been keeping an eye on these fires cuz im goin up there this saturday for a week to mammoth to do some serious fishing hopefully these fires are put out quickly and no one is hurt good luck to any one goin up this weekend and maybe i will see some of u guys

Beancounter
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Glad to hear that fire is out too.
We're going up there this Saturday as well. 8)
Staying in June Lake Loop, but I'm sure one day we'll head over to Mammoth.

xtranzman
07-13-2007, 12:09 PM
We are going to leave early Saturday morning. So, if you happen to see this truck on your trip make sure to wave or say hello...

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/daytonasmall.JPG

X

mammothsnowman
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
CDF came into the fishing shop I was in this am... The word was all fires out! The Air is clean today with no more choking smoke in the high country for now.

Great job by CDF!!! :)

Carrie
07-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Carrie,

We are on our way up there Saturday morning early and coming back Tuesday. Still thinking about giving you a call when we are on the way back....

X

Roy, hey!

I will be around Saturday afternoon and Sunday in Independance. I will be at Manzanar EARLY Monday morning and then my crew leaves for Devil's Postpile for a week and we do not come back until next weekend.

If u guys r around Indy on the weekend give me a call and u can come see my place or just stop by. I don't work at Manzanar over the weekends....only on weekdays.

hopefully see ya up there... :D

Carrie
07-14-2007, 12:55 AM
CDF came into the fishing shop I was in this am... The word was all fires out! The Air is clean today with no more choking smoke in the high country for now.

Great job by CDF!!! :)

Yeah! That is a good sign! The fires should be done now. I came down the hill tonight to see some old friends and on the way there was a fire by Wrightwood on the 15. Argh! I think fires like to follow me...haha! Going back up the hill tomorrow where I can breathe again.

IK13
07-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I think fires like to follow me...haha!

Get your ***** out of there then. I'm going up there friday and I don't want no smokey fires...