PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with my fishes

socal_jeff
12-14-2009, 10:45 PM
ok so i have 3 oscars in my tank and one is a albino while the other two are black tigers so all of them are changin colors like they look sick the blacks are kinda turnin grey while the albino doesnt look the same as the first day i bought them please help do i need to buy things for them

Sue
12-15-2009, 12:24 AM
ok so i have 3 oscars in my tank and one is a albino while the other two are black tigers so all of them are changin colors like they look sick the blacks are kinda turnin grey while the albino doesnt look the same as the first day i bought them please help do i need to buy things for them

I'd probably check with your local aquatic store if I were you.

troutdog
12-15-2009, 01:05 AM
Definitely get your water checked...PM 2Quickmotorwerks, he is the go to aquatics guru on FNN.

How long have you had the fish? Are they still eating? What are you feeding them pellets or live?

TD

fisherman from long beach
12-15-2009, 08:10 AM
are these fish new to the tank,or you might have to check the chemicals in the water,check it out asap,or your oscars with check out.

Agro
12-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Bring a small ziplock bag of water to your local aquarium shop and have them test it and explain to them the fish symptoms. They will give you some medications or suggestions to try.

smokehound
12-18-2009, 01:09 AM
ALWAYS cycle your aquarium water before purchasing a fish.

you can buy some chemicals that quickly do this from petco. this conditions the water and creates ideal PH conditions.

Buy aquarium salt, and add a small ammount-- Cichlids tolerate extreme salinity, and all fish benefit from this, as it stimulates their slime coat to come in thicker, greatly increasing the immune system.

Do not feed Oscars goldfish. ---As awesome as it is to see a fish wholf down a goldfish, they are unsafe for consumption, due to disease and poor nutritional value.

Try raising guppies as a feeder. --guppies are smaller and easier to swallow/digest, and grow/breed rapidly.

Buy a PH tester and keep an eye on that water! From what i remember, Oscars like a more acidic water type.

If any fish die in your tank due to disease, you must clean that tank and disinfect it!

You need a heater for healthy oscars! They are tropical fish.

I honestly dont know what could be ailing them, since fish turn pale from so many diseases.

If you REALLY wanna cycle your tank, like the pros, you must cycle your tank for quite a while, a few months at the minimum to prepare for much more sensitive fish.

Consider buying a quarantine tank so you may watch the fish, and calm it down, before introducing disease to the existing population.

skylarjames2009
12-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Change the water right now get them some new water even if it has little clorine it you can get some condtioner to balance it out oscars are dirty fish so make sure your filter and pump are working at full working order if pump is clogged it can get pretty acic cause the water isnt turning over.

Or they might have ick or swine flu:Razz:

I would change water right this sec asap and put them in seperate containers

Now that I think my fish has wierd red rash or bruise maybe there cold must find out

Chris
323-290-1951

I used to raise oscars what are yo feeding them if blood worms stop :Confused:

jim532
12-18-2009, 02:29 PM
here is a really good aquarium forum http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/

2quikmotorwerks
12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
sorry i didnt see this thread earlier. How long have you owned these fish for? what size tank are they in? do u know what ur water parameters are by any chance? also did you just do anything to the tank like a water change or something. Oscar's are one of the hardiest of cichlids to take care of not requiring any special needs like some of the other cichlids outthere. As long as you keep their water between 78-80 degrees, ph around 7.0-7.2 with zero amonia and nitrites they will thrive. Now oscars will lighten their colors if they are frightend,stressed,or fighting amongest themselves, sometimes during a water change their colors will change also. What type of diet are you feeding them someone mentioned about goldfish being bad because of disease while this is true to an extent it is not always the case, live feeders is one of the best foods to feed them "as long as they are kept properly" meaning the feeders must be kept in large holding pens to prevent over crowding and must be kept in medicated water. Also goldfish have plenty of nutrional value for a freshwater fish its when you start feeding them to saltwater fish when they dont have enough. Now im assuming that your tank was cycled and that u didnt just fill the tank with water and just throw them in because if you did they are being posioned by amonia and nitrite.

If u have any questions feel free to pm me as i been raising fresh and saltwater fish since i was the tender age of 5 and now the owner of an aquarium shop.

murrieta angler
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
You might wanna stop taking them for walks....:Razz:

Just messing..