PDA

View Full Version : San Juan area?

NooB SaBass
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone fish around San Juan Cap area? San clemente Pier, or the shore? I was basically looking for a good Shoreline fishing spot, I have never fished Oceanside shore, and never seen a Calico bass pulled from Oceanside so I saw no point in trying there.

bsp
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Go check out the particular areas you're interested in and see what it's like. Fishing will probably be bad because it's winter and everything except perch dislikes the cold water and large waves, but you can get a good feel for an area just walking around. Give it a few casts, but remind yourself that this is a scouting trip and you shouldn't expect much. You're mainly going to get an idea of the kinds of fish holding structure that's present. I recommend going on a minus tide so you can figure out what you'll be fishing around most of the time. Snap a few pictures, mark some things on a portable GPS if you have it, and write down what you saw in your fishing journal so when the spring rolls around you know exactly where to fish.

Good luck!

murrieta angler
12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
You are absolutely right about Oceanside. I was there yesterday for 5 hours and only caught 1 smelt..:Rolls Eyes:

NooB SaBass
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Ya Oceanside is 3/10 Shore fishing and only a 6/10 Pier, but its tech a "local" spot for me(30-40min), but San Clemente and San Juan Cap is about the same distance, Dana point is about 45 min away, might try there soon...

NooB SaBass
12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Go check out the particular areas you're interested in and see what it's like. Fishing will probably be bad because it's winter and everything except perch dislikes the cold water and large waves, but you can get a good feel for an area just walking around. Give it a few casts, but remind yourself that this is a scouting trip and you shouldn't expect much. You're mainly going to get an idea of the kinds of fish holding structure that's present. I recommend going on a minus tide so you can figure out what you'll be fishing around most of the time. Snap a few pictures, mark some things on a portable GPS if you have it, and write down what you saw in your fishing journal so when the spring rolls around you know exactly where to fish.

Good luck!

Really good idea, what do Surf perch eat anyways? I know they have small mouths, and I have only ever caught em on small sand crabs with trout hooks, so im guessing like mini jigs in white, maybe yellow drop shotted? or maybe even small feathers?

bsp
12-16-2009, 07:50 PM
2in Gulp! Camo sand worms on a a size 6 or 8 owner SSW hook. Put it on a C-rig with a 3/4oz weight, 3ft of 6lb mono or fluoro leader, and you can catch perch all day. It's not hard to catch 30-40 perch in a few hours if you find the honey hole. Fish in areas where the waves aren't breaking as much, or near rip currents. That signals structure. Waves are too big for mini jigs in the winter usually. You could try it. Doesn't hurt to experiment at all.

NooB SaBass
12-16-2009, 07:55 PM
C-Rig? whats that?

bsp
12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Carolina rig. Basically, egg weight, barrel swivel, leader, hook.

Also, Fisherman57 did a really nice perch and surf fishing article. Definitely check it out.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

Let me know if you have any other questions!

NooB SaBass
12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Just read that thread, wow looks like I got some shopping to do lol