PDA

View Full Version : Dec 12th, Trolling Castaic in the Rain.

fishinone
12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Romeo and I planned to troll Castaic Saturday morning in the rain.

We got in with one boat ahead of us at 6:40 and none behind us.

We started trolling the fish arm. It wasn't long before we hooked up our first fish with a hard hit.

We landed this one and lost a jig to my bad knot.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Dec%2012th%202009/1212090809.jpg

A little farther down the lake we got a little bigger one and had a tail pulled off of another swimbait body. The fish we got wasn't what we were looking for, so we kept on going.

We trolled all the way down to Elizabeth Canyon but picked most of our fish up closer to the dam. We weren't seeing big concentrations of striper but there were many scattered around. We picked fish up in the coves, on points and out in the middle of the lake.

After we passed one point the fishfinder showed an active school of fish on a hump I called them out as dinks and we started watching the rigs closely. There was a small boil as we passed. We would have been casting right on our trolling lines if we had gone for it so we didn't cast. We got hit on both rigs but only picked up one dink. We started making circles trying to hit that active school again. We didn't find the school but we did pick up a schoolie about 3 1/2" lb making a turn out in the lake.

The big one!
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Dec%2012th%202009/1212090955.jpg

It was a slow pick but we had enough action to keep us interested and help us bear with the leaking rain gear.

We set up and trolled on the way in to the dock and picked up a little bass at the corner of the ramp.

The By-Catch, released.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Dec%2012th%202009/1212091155.jpg

The mornings tally was 7 striper and 1 bass.

We had a blast fishing in the rain.

Agro
12-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Trollin in the rain, gotta love it! Looks like you guys had a fun day.

What was the rig of choice to troll?

fishinone
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Trollin in the rain, gotta love it! Looks like you guys had a fun day.

What was the rig of choice to troll?

Umbrella rigs with 4" swim bait bodies as attractors and on jig head trailors, in secret colors.

Shock
12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Nice job out there.... We had fun before the motor problems, we must have just missed you out there... you were right ahead of us...

fishinone
12-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Nice job out there.... We had fun before the motor problems, we must have just missed you out there... you were right ahead of us...

I was looking for you because I knew you were going to be there. If I saw you, it was from a mile and a half away.

It was really peaceful out there, even with the bass tourney going on. They launched from the west ramp.

marzocchi
12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
It must have been cold out there. I was going to go that day also but waking up to 38 degrees in pasadena and thinking it would be at least another minus 5 degree difference, plus with the wind chill factor from the recent snow, I stayed under my warm blanket and dreamt of stripers prancing under the christmas tree. Very nice reports and pictures.

TroutOnly
12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
MAN RON YOURE AS CRAZY AS IAM TROLLING IN THE RAIN, MAN AS A KID I WOULD MURDER THE BASS IN THE RAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

Striper_Slayer
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
DInk Fest!! :ROFL::ROFL:

fishinone
12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
MAN RON YOURE AS CRAZY AS IAM TROLLING IN THE RAIN, MAN AS A KID I WOULD MURDER THE BASS IN THE RAIN,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

Thanks Bob, I know that's high praise coming from you.

I'm just hoping that you had better rain gear than we did. I was soaked through my shirts and Romeo's trousers were soaked.

I think we caught most of the fish during slack moments.

We had planed to stop and bait and wait for a while but we didn't want to sit still because we knew we would get cold. We trolled all way in to keep the wind chill factor down.

Does anyone know how to make GoreTex waterproof again after you wash it?

fishinone
12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
DInk Fest!! :ROFL::ROFL:

They'll taste better than those bass you caught.:LOL:

scvbasser
12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
good job on hanging in there in the rain. pretty hard core. thanx for the report

kpn
12-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Good job out there in the rain guys.

KPN.

Hitts0n
12-14-2009, 06:14 PM
I need a female fishing partner like that !! Rain hail,or snow ! Congrats !!:ROFL:

FINSMACKDOWN
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
fishin in the rain:Big Grin:

yolo
12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Nice going Ron.

fishinone
12-15-2009, 10:11 AM
I need a female fishing partner like that !! Rain hail,or snow ! Congrats !!:ROFL:

I think that having my wife "quilt" in the rain, hail, snow and on bluebird days is a benefit that lets me fish at these same times.:Big Grin: