PDA

View Full Version : King Harbor Jetty

Mojave River Angler
12-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Took a few frineds down to King Harbor to work on a boat and do some jetty fishing. We spent a few hours working a couple of places on the jetty before we had enough of the wind and pounding waves. I managed 1 fish in the first 60 seconds of fishing and spent the rest of the time wondering where the fish went. We aslo spent an hour or so at the small pier as well. My friends took the skunk for the day. We vowed revenge when we return to take the boat out over the Christmas break. We threw the usual fresh dead squid and makeral. I had chovies, but they were old enough to be too soft to hook...and only a catfish would eat somting that nasty anyway.

Where can I get blood worms down in that area?

What is the fish in the picture?

MRA

NoHo ART
12-14-2009, 09:23 AM
the fish in the picture is some kind of a wrasse

midgettosser1
12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
kelpfish, of which exact variety, im not sure.

possibly a giant kelpfish?

Mojave River Angler
12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Yes, you are right. Based on this, image and assuming that the info is correct, it is a Giant Kelpfish. Thanks for the help on identification.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://funscubadiver.com/gallery/california-scuba-photo/california-giant-kelpfish.jpg&imgrefurl=http://funscubadiver.com/gallery/california-giant-kelpfish.htm&h=400&w=600&sz=74&tbnid=N8ni7C08onhbYM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGiant%2BKelpfish&hl=en&usg=__up_H-JU-5jD2Ij5zmzY964F2Rfw=&ei=tSkoS6veKZOeswOfu5mpDA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&ved=0CAkQ9QEwAA

MRA

JapanRon
12-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi Mojave River Angler,

The Redondo pier might .... only might .... JJ would know ....have them otherwise google the shop in Manhatten or was it .....

JapanRon

victor101
12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
King harbor jetty.... Try some artificials like swimbaits... The only place i know of that sells bloodworms is Pauls Bait n Tackle in San Pedro. If you go there might as well pick up some live ghost shrimp too... they work pretty good off of that jetty. you could also scrape some mussels off of the rocks.

DockRat
12-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Tis the Season for Sucky Fishing.
DR

Rich and Noah
12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Took a few frineds down to King Harbor to work on a boat and do some jetty fishing. We spent a few hours working a couple of places on the jetty before we had enough of the wind and pounding waves. I managed 1 fish in the first 60 seconds of fishing and spent the rest of the time wondering where the fish went. We aslo spent an hour or so at the small pier as well. My friends took the skunk for the day. We vowed revenge when we return to take the boat out over the Christmas break. We threw the usual fresh dead squid and makeral. I had chovies, but they were old enough to be too soft to hook...and only a catfish would eat somting that nasty anyway.

Where can I get blood worms down in that area?

What is the fish in the picture?

MRA
Pretty sure it's a Kelp Greenling. My son has a fish ID card and we caught some before. There are some DFG regs about those fish but can't remember.