PDA

View Full Version : Leopard at MDR

Tail Chaser
07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Girlfriend wanted to watch the fireworks from the boat. Soo.... launched out of MDR at 3pm on the 4th. Hooked up to this 5ft leopard shark.After releasing this 5ft Leopard,Hooked up to something big, Got over confident in my 30lb setup. Broke off :evil:
Never heard any reports of catching/eating Leopard sharks so I released it. Noticed in the DFG book that people fish for Leopards. Min 3ft fish/ 3fish per angler.
Are these things good eating?

DavidE
07-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I never thought of eating them but these guys have

http://www.fishsniffer.com/recipes/shark3.html

The recipe w/oyster sauce sounds really good !!!

slief
07-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Nice leo! I have always been into salt water aquariums and once upon a time, I would go out and fish for them to bring home.. Eventually they would get to big and have to be released. I had a big (5') green moray eel named "Gorby" because of a spot on his head (like the old russian president). One day I was sitting on the couch next to the tank which at the time was 240 gallons, when all of sudden I hear this loud boom and the house shook... I thought somone crashed a car into the house and then I noticed the water sloshing and an ominous red color to the water. Gorby decided to attack my favorite Leo.. I had him for years and he bit him in half.. This shark was well over 3' and when the eel him him, the concussion from it was enough to rattle the entire house and split and fat and happy leo right in half! :shock:

The funny thing was that gorby was really a nice eel. He loved to have his chin rubbed and would let me take him out of the tank by hand.. My friend thought I was crazy until one faithful drunken birthday I decided to swim in my fish tank.. With a 5' geen morray eel, a pair of white tip reef sharks and a horned shark. Then they knew I was crazy!! Mask and all and nobody in the tank bothered me!

Sorry for the rant! Your picture brought back memories of Leos from the past. I could never imagine eating one. They are really cool sharks!
Thanks for the pics and post!

Tail Chaser
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Nice leo! I have always been into salt water aquariums and once upon a time, I would go out and fish for them to bring home.. Eventually they would get to big and have to be released. I had a big (5') green moray eel named "Gorby" because of a spot on his head (like the old russian president). One day I was sitting on the couch next to the tank which at the time was 240 gallons, when all of sudden I hear this loud boom and the house shook... I thought somone crashed a car into the house and then I noticed the water sloshing and an ominous red color to the water. Gorby decided to attack my favorite Leo.. I had him for years and he bit him in half.. This shark was well over 3' and when the eel him him, the concussion from it was enough to rattle the entire house and split and fat and happy leo right in half! :shock:

The funny thing was that gorby was really a nice eel. He loved to have his chin rubbed and would let me take him out of the tank by hand.. My friend thought I was crazy until one faithful drunken birthday I decided to swim in my fish tank.. With a 5' geen morray eel, a pair of white tip reef sharks and a horned shark. Then they knew I was crazy!! Mask and all and nobody in the tank bothered me!

Sorry for the rant! Your picture brought back memories of Leos from the past. I could never imagine eating one. They are really cool sharks!
Thanks for the pics and post!
How funny :lol: I guess when your hungry,Your hungry. And when a 5' moray gets hungry, He gets a bit cranky too :lol:

Tail Chaser
07-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I never thought of eating them but these guys have

http://www.fishsniffer.com/recipes/shark3.html

The recipe w/oyster sauce sounds really good !!!
That recipe does look really good. I'll save it for another type of fish.

Thanks, Jerry

fishfinder
07-07-2007, 03:07 PM
I'D LIKE TO SEE A PIC OF THAT 240 GALLON AQUARIUM THAT YOU CAN SWIM IN. You must be really small....cause i cant even swim in my kids 600 gal pool.
pics pics pics :)

xahx
07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I'D LIKE TO SEE A PIC OF THAT 240 GALLON AQUARIUM THAT YOU CAN SWIM IN. You must be really small....cause i cant even swim in my kids 600 gal pool.

240 gallons on is too small to swim in... period!

fishfinder
07-07-2007, 08:47 PM

yea i think i smell a fish story here

WalePescado
07-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Leopard sharks are EXCELLENT eating. Some have said they taste like salmon, but I think they are much milder. They grill into flakey, bright white morsels.

They are beautiful fish, so I've only killed one :(

WalePescado
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Leopard sharks are EXCELLENT eating. Some have said they taste like salmon, but I think they are much milder. They grill into flakey, bright white morsels.

They are beautiful fish, so I've only killed one :(

Fisheater
07-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Leopard shark is great, if you bleed it immediately (tie a rope around the tail and slice the throat, also can slice the tail area, then throw overboard), filet it (take the skin off) as soon as you return to dock, and keep it cold. If you don't bleed shark, they taste like piss (ammonia) literally because the pee thru the skin. I have two filets left in the freezer, makes great fish chowder (no bones, gauranteed!!)

MikesOcean
07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Actually, there are only 3 types of sharks that don't urinate all over themselves after they die, which in turn ruins the meat. Mako, thresher, and leopard. Those 3 sharks are the only 3 u will typically find in a fine dine. Leopard is excellent meat.

Fisheater
07-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Actually, there are only 3 types of sharks that don't urinate all over themselves after they die, which in turn ruins the meat. Mako, thresher, and leopard. Those 3 sharks are the only 3 u will typically find in a fine dine. Leopard is excellent meat. dont trust what youve heard or seen. bleed all sharks

slief
07-12-2007, 11:38 AM

No fish stories here.. Below are a couple pics of my 480 which replaced the 240. The 480 is 4'x8'x2' tall and the 240 was 2'x8'x2' tall.. I am 5'6" and granted it was not exactly a swim, more like a wade and then laying down but since those pics are at home, I will upload them later..

In the mean time, here are a couple of the newer tank, one of which with me sitting inside setting the rocks up for the reef. When I get home, I will scan a few of the drunken b-day pics to validate my big "fish story"! :roll:

komaiaboyz
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
sharks are too beautiful to eat. we eat them they eat us

slief
07-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Here is another couple of the new tank.. These were taken during a somewhat recent revamp and cleaning/polishing.. See that guy laying down in there.. He is on one side of this tank polishing the acrylic from the inside getting rid of scratches. 2 people could lay comfortably in this tank which is twice as deep as my old 240.. You'll seeeee!! 8)

By the way, sorry for the hijack.. Just have to substantiate myself for the cynics!

slief
07-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Had my daughter scan them and email them to me.. Here they are.. Enjoy!

Pootytang
07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
:shock: Those are some funny pics dude. You had to of been drunk. :D Way to back up your story. :lol: Awesome tanks by the way!!

newster
07-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Pwnd! :D

sansou
07-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Slief,

That is one wicked aquarium!!!

A small school of juvy YTs or WSBs in there would be awesome!!!

one_leg
07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Awesome photoshop job!!!.........................................j/k

I believed you the whole time. 240 gal. is like 5, 55 gallon drums worth.
I would think that a good sized person would have no problem fitting in a tank that size.

O_L