PDA

View Full Version : 11 Day Boat Ride on the Intrepid

greg
12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Left the day after Thanksgiving for my 11 day trip on the Intrepid. :Big Grin: After a 2 day ride, we arrived at the tuna grounds with the Rooster and Excel but the water cooled off by 5 degrees in a week with cold northerly winds. :Sad: We found a 200 pounder but that was it. The week prior, 7 over 300 and 25 over 200 were caught here. :EyePop: We left the next day after another 2 more degree drop and continued winds. :Sad: We headed down to the Finger Banks then further south. We even fished 5 miles south of Cabo with no luck on the tuna but found 20 striped marlin. :Shocked::EyePop::Shocked: We trolled around and finally found some tuna just west of Mag Bay where the Success, the RP and the Excel were hanging for a few 100+ pounders. :Cool: That cold wet storm you had on Monday ended up giving us 12-15 foot seas on our ride in. I've never been so sick. At least I got to enjoy Javier's cooking. Javier mentined that this was the worst trip he's seen in 15 years! I tagged nothing for $3450! :Skunk:

sansou
12-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Ouch.

You got dealt a dead hand, not much you can do about it. Odds are with you that you'll killem' the next trip. I give you guys mucho credit having the patience to sit on a boat for 11 days....I'd go bananas.

Best of luck on your next LR trip. Luck will be on your side.

Prowler_Tuber
12-09-2009, 11:08 PM
11 days is an easy week and half for us Navy guys but damn thats a heavy price did they offer you guys and deals or anything else on the way back?

dixoncider
12-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Ouch.......

Simplyeman
12-10-2009, 02:05 AM
that would have gotten you 172.5 lap dances:LOL:....not cheerin you up am I....

So yea did they cut you a deal or all bets are off once you leave the boat with nothing.

CAPT'N
12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your trip. But you spent it on the nicest boat in the fleet.

Javier's cooking is unsurpassed, we joke that we come for the food and stay to fish!

You will slay them next time,

Capt'n

victor101
12-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Skunked on an 11 day trip....OUCH!

hbomb
12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Sorry To hear about your trip........next time for sure.

deanhall32
12-10-2009, 12:09 PM
As a few people have said, you went on the fanciest boat in the fleet. I checked that boat out at Day at the Docks and it is sweeeeet. You could have been stuck on the Legend!!

TShaffer
12-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Man 11 days and nothin to show for it...that's why it's called fishing.

lngbchfnhnter
12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I feel for you bro! analyze the trip really good.. no doubt you'll slay them next time..

sandbass
12-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Thats what makes the WFO trips so epic. Gotta give you props for not offing youself during that ride back, rough seas suck. Sounds like you've taken it well. Fish on my friend!

deanhall32
12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Greg- I just checked and noticed that you are one of the old-timers as far as joining dates on FNN. Keep it up!

murrieta angler
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad fishing weather. When I saw your post my mouth was already watering till I read it...:Rolls Eyes:
I was just looking at prices for all inclusives down to Cabo for March and so far it's looking like I'll be paying between $500-$800 for air and hotel for 7 days. Not to bad, now i'll have to find some fishing trips from down there.
Thanks again for the report.

Big Kahuna
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Greg:
Dude, sorry to hear about the poor fishing. I got your Christmas card last week and thought, "I sure hope Greg achieved his goal of a triple digit tuna." I was wondering if you take sea sick pills or wear the patch. Lets hope that 2010 will be a great year for fishing. Go Bruins and Lakers.
Big Kahuna

pargo lsb
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
hello greg,
sorry that you did not do well. i was on a one week mag bay trip on mothership tony reyes. we fished the same bank (30 miles outside of mag bay entrence) with intrepid for few hrs last friday. did you see us?

my panga was drifting in intripid's chum line, aboput 150 yrds away... i heard clearly all of intrepid's announcements, and saw you guys land few fishes, got pix as well

btw, tony reyes did pretty bad as well. i will write a out of state report soon.

how did you like intrepid? i heard that it's a very fancy boat.

richard s.

BOIL909
12-16-2009, 02:46 PM
dude that sucks whales penis

greg
12-17-2009, 09:56 PM
11 days is an easy week and half for us Navy guys but damn thats a heavy price did they offer you guys and deals or anything else on the way back?

No special deals or offers were made. :Crying:

Sorry to hear about your trip. But you spent it on the nicest boat in the fleet.

Javier's cooking is unsurpassed, we joke that we come for the food and stay to fish!

You will slay them next time,

Capt'n

Great food - Javier is fantastic and the only saving grace on this trip. Even though I was sick for the last 12-16 hours, I gained 7 pounds on this trip. :EyePop:

As a few people have said, you went on the fanciest boat in the fleet. I checked that boat out at Day at the Docks and it is sweeeeet. You could have been stuck on the Legend!!

The nicest boat in the entire San Diego fleet. :Cool: One of only 2 boats with a soda bar. Those stablizers made the 6 foot seas on the way south out of San Diego dissappear - even read my book I brought.

Greg:
Dude, sorry to hear about the poor fishing. I got your Christmas card last week and thought, "I sure hope Greg achieved his goal of a triple digit tuna." I was wondering if you take sea sick pills or wear the patch. Lets hope that 2010 will be a great year for fishing. Go Bruins and Lakers.
Big Kahuna

I always wear a patch but in those swells, even nausea injections would not have helped me... :Embarrassed:

hello greg,
sorry that you did not do well. i was on a one week mag bay trip on mothership tony reyes. we fished the same bank (30 miles outside of mag bay entrence) with intrepid for few hrs last friday. did you see us?

my panga was drifting in intripid's chum line, aboput 150 yrds away... i heard clearly all of intrepid's announcements, and saw you guys land few fishes, got pix as well

btw, tony reyes did pretty bad as well. i will write a out of state report soon.

how did you like intrepid? i heard that it's a very fancy boat.

richard s.

I saw the Success out there with us but don't remember a panga in our chum line. :???:

As I have mentioned above - the nicest boat out of the entire San Diego fleet. I've fished them all (I haven't been on the Indy) and the Intrepid beats the Excel, RP, Royal, Q, Rooster, Angler, etc... :Secret: