PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 or 7.1 ratio help!

TUNAVIC
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I want to by a new reel, the Curado 200E5 or E7, the differnce is the gear ratio, 5.1 or 7.1, this reel will be used for senkos, big worms, and large creature baits, 10-12lb test, the price of these reels are about the same so there is no price consideration in the choice. I won't be throwing anything that I need to burn back to the boat ie crank baits ect, but one of my concerns with the higher speed reels is this. I once bought a reel that was higher speed , and when you caught a 2lb bass it felt like a 6lb bass, I could only attribute it to the gearing of the high speed reel.
Not needless to say I would still appreciate a reel that gets whatever bait your I'm tossing to get back to the boat quickly when you want it to.
So therein lies my dilema 5.1 or 7.1 any help or suggs appreciated!!

Cya Tuna Vic<(((((><

vanillagurilla
12-08-2009, 09:32 AM
5:1. considering that you will be reeling in to fast not realizing it. the baits you said your going to use are slow presentation. you know what they say about fishing slow, when you think your going slow... slow down some more. the 7:1 is more for burning spinnerbaits or cranks and topwater fishing, so you can get your bait back to the boat fast to make another cast.

lurk 182
12-08-2009, 09:40 AM
i'd go with the 7:1 for the baits you mentioned because i like to get the slack out of the line as quick as i can before i set the hook. with a jig or worm, the fish might not hold onto it for that long.
i like the 5:1 ratio for deep diving cranks and other reaction baits where burning them back to the boat isn't required and the lower ratio makes cranking easier (but buzzbaits can be a little tough on the 5:1 for instance).
some people like the lower ratio for flipping where they want torque for horsing bass out of cover. after a while, i don't think the 2 pounders will feel big, its just that the rod loads up more quickly when you can get all the slack out with one or two cranks of the handle. its easier to keep slack out of the line while you fight the fish so the rod and drag are doing more of the work, which is probably a good thing.

WormFisher
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
7:1 you can always reel slower, but can never get the 5:0 going fast enough.
Try throwing a buzz bait on a 5:0

bsp
12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
7:1 for plastics no doubt. Once you fish it really slow and the plastic gets out of the strike zone, you want to burn that bait back in at warp speed to make another cast ASAP. Those high speed Curados don't lack any power, and the extra gear ratio helps when the fish runs at you or if you need to make a fast followup cast.