PDA

View Full Version : Skinner Lake WFO Striped Bass Boiling at Ramp #

RamboBoy
12-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Winchesetr, CA SKinner Lake
Raining: 20% to 40%Windy: 4 mph
Barometric Pressur: 29.97

I was thinking and go ahead fishing because I knew there is raining and good barometric pressure at the Skinner Lake. The big or mini striped bass comes to play at Ramp # area. I arrived at Skinner Lake at 10:30 a.m. I walked down to the shore and asked the guy if he catch anything and he mentioned he caught five minis striped bass on his stringer. I asked him how long did he fished for the striper and what did he used bait, and then he said he got there at 6:30 a.m. It was striper boiling and he catches them with LIVE SHAD. How did he get the LIVE SHAD? He told me that he was snagging them and put the live shads in the bucket with a pump compressor to keep the fish alive . That’s how he caught five striped bass with a live shad.

I do everything z-plug, top water plug, KPN, hard crank bait, and swim bait on the shore. It was wide freaking open of the striper boiling at Ramp #, mayne, lots of shads jumped out of the water. I switched the silver kastmaster lure 4 inches and cast it to the striper boiling. Dayum, nada catch striped bass, mayne. However, my kastmaster lure was snagging on a live shad . It came up to my mind, aaaahh the East Coast that was how I do. Then I switched another fishing pole with only hook 2/0 without the sinker. I bait it up and cast it, so I let the live shad swims, and I wait for striped bass attacks the shad. FIIISSSHHH OOONN!!! What? That’s Not the Striped Bass! The rainbow trout attacks my live shad! I can’t believe it, mayne. Dayuuumm! I switched another fishing pole and cast the kastmaster, it was snagged again, LOL . Then I switched another fishing pole and baited a live shad, and cast it again, wait for the striped bass attacks, but NOT AGAIN, mayne, the big rainbow trout attacks the live shad, mayne . So I keep routine over, over, and over, NO LUCK BIG OR MINI STRIPED BASS, MAYNE!!!

I called it of the day at 3:00 p.m. and brought two trouts home for dinner, ha ha ha . One big trout weighs 4lbs 3 oz and other small one weighs 2lbs 4 oz.

By the way, I brought one shad to my home and took picture, you see that! MATCH THE HATCH SHAD !!!

TopwaterTony
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Go buy silver shad LTrap Rattle Lure at Walmart, match the hatch, man.

That's some bigger shad, my 4" SPRO is coming out next trip !!!

RamboBoy
12-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Yah, GOOD LUCK, man, TopwaterTony!

Liteliner
12-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Nice job on the trout. Was it pretty cold in the morning? Might check it out soon. THanks for the report.

RamboBoy
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Oh yeah it was cold wear a thick rain coat to keep your body warmer

Good luck Liteliner

Matt_Magnone
12-07-2009, 10:32 PM
i was out today as well. once the wind started picking up it got cold real fast! i had like 8 or so fish to 5 pounds on the big bait but nothin too sizeable. fish were balled up on the points in 5' over 10. triples and the new KC trout got em flippin.

2 is loaded thick with shad. an easy way to get those fish to go is wake a 3"-4" senko weightless across the surface when you see the chasers. the stripes at skinner usually aren't too too picky. as long as you present a bait that matches the hatch and casts the right color silhouette you're golden.

good luck guys.

RamboBoy
12-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Oh yeah it was cold

hey matt is that you on the boat?

I only see only one boat on the water and there was no other boaters on the water. Not lot of fishermen on the shore, just two guys and myself

I should have buy one a thick rain coat at Bass Pro shop it will keep your body warmer

good luck guys at Skinner Lake

TroutOnly
12-08-2009, 07:42 AM
good job ramboboy kill all the stripers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O

kenmac33
12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
i was out today as well. once the wind started picking up it got cold real fast! i had like 8 or so fish to 5 pounds on the big bait but nothin too sizeable. fish were balled up on the points in 5' over 10. triples and the new KC trout got em flippin.

2 is loaded thick with shad. an easy way to get those fish to go is wake a 3"-4" senko weightless across the surface when you see the chasers. the stripes at skinner usually aren't too too picky. as long as you present a bait that matches the hatch and casts the right color silhouette you're golden.

good luck guys.

all great info guys, and if I may add another thing that's been working pretty good is the clear w/blk flk single tail grub burned across the suirface and the more wind the better! Stay warm.

Ken
http://thebasstaxi.com/blog/

RamboBoy
12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
good job ramboboy kill all the stripers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O

Lol....I am a trout fisherman now....trout killer :Smile:

Have you caught trout with a live shad before?. That"s isane! LOL

fishinone
12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Congrats on the by-catch.

Everything eats shad!

The one problem I have with live shad is keeping everything else (LMB) off of it long enough to get a striper.:ROFL: I've had worse problems.

Did you catch the trout on shad the size of the one in the picture?

tall tales
12-08-2009, 03:24 PM
thanks rambo and matt now i know i have to go. just wonder'n were the others fishing bait? cuz i just got freash dines from a buddy. just asking for my second pole so it doesn't get bored. thanks again TT

NooB SaBass
12-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Sounds Like Skinner is the place to be I hit up DVL for the first time and 0-1 lol... mybe I'll try Skinner next...

RamboBoy
12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Congrats on the by-catch.

Everything eats shad!

The one problem I have with live shad is keeping everything else (LMB) off of it long enough to get a striper.:ROFL: I've had worse problems.

Did you catch the trout on shad the size of the one in the picture?

Ha ha ha yeah everything eats shad. Thanks, man. Yep that's the size of the shad, trout can swallow it when it bites. The shad, it was variety size 2 inches to 4 inches.

thanks rambo and matt now i know i have to go. just wonder'n were the others fishing bait? cuz i just got freash dines from a buddy. just asking for my second pole so it doesn't get bored. thanks again TT

You will seeing the shads on the surface water when the striped bass and trouts are chasing the shads, and you can dip the net with the hoop tiny holes of net it is legally for using the bait, but you can't snagging the shad. You will get a thick ticket.

I used my kastmaster lure for the striper it happens snagged on a live shad itself, so I took advantage to use a bait for striper. That's why when the boiling is on the surface of the water I threw the kastmaster lure "match the hatch", lots of shad had been snagged on my hook it happened.

Good luck out there!

Sounds Like Skinner is the place to be I hit up DVL for the first time and 0-1 lol... mybe I'll try Skinner next...

Alright, good luck.

pwynn
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
hey rambo buddy,
at DVL the bigger holdover trout are caught on shad.

RamboBoy
12-08-2009, 07:52 PM
hey pywnn really it did ? very interesting i thought that is insane but trout can eat shad

TroutOnly
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
ramboboy ive caught evrything on shad and probably net some sat at dvl if we and p-stick net some its over for the fish you should see the bass and stripers ive caught throw in a hsad pull out a fish, oh i have two of the good nets,,,,,,,,,,T/O

Senor Rambone
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
BBZ SHAD!!! thats the ticket! I never thought a trout would smash it. I can imagine how it would do at Skinner.

fishincrave
12-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Live shad catches everything that swims in the water lol .
Great job on the trout there Rambo.

Sean

RamboBoy
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
ramboboy ive caught evrything on shad and probably net some sat at dvl if we and p-stick net some its over for the fish you should see the bass and stripers ive caught throw in a hsad pull out a fish, oh i have two of the good nets,,,,,,,,,,T/O

Wow, interesting. I usually used the baits of power bait, live worm with garlic, and kastmaster (green orange yellow).

That was my first experiencing caught trout with a live shad.

BBZ SHAD!!! thats the ticket! I never thought a trout would smash it. I can imagine how it would do at Skinner.

What da...ha ha ha, SHAD! Nice trout, mayne.

Live shad catches everything that swims in the water lol .
Great job on the trout there Rambo.

Sean

Thanks man..oh yeah now I know trout can eat SHAD, worm, power bait, plastic work, and kastmaster.

fishinone
12-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks man..oh yeah now I know trout can eat SHAD, worm, power bait, plastic work, and kastmaster.

I've caught trout on cut anchovies.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=21483&highlight=trout

RamboBoy
12-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I've caught trout on cut anchovies.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=21483&highlight=trout

ha ha ha that's a new thing to me that your trout ate anchovy bait. Your great report, man. Ha ha ANCHOVY

smokinflies
12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice catches once again Rambo.

RamboBoy
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice catches once again Rambo.

Thanks, mayne! Love the trout fillet baking oven yummy

RamboBoy
12-13-2009, 07:09 AM
I went to fishing at Skinner yesterday. The stripers were poofed, as well as today. I got skunk.

After da storm raining stop, they will come back this week, the boiling will action on the surface of the water on tomorrow, wednesday and thursday.

Good luck fishermen! Kill mini or DD striped bass , LOL