PDA

View Full Version : 1000 size reel. suggestions?

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
looking for a 1000 size reel for under $100. ive been to all the websites but id like to know your experiances with your reel and so on. im going to be using 2-4lb line. if anyone has a reel for sale that might fit my needs feel free to pm me. or if you just want to fish sometime. i like to pick on the city park trout when im broke and hit the paylakes when i have cash so the reel needs to be capable of 10lb+ fish.

AngryAgent
12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Check out the Shimano Sahara. It comes in under a c-note and has been redone this year. Shimano has also just released the Sienna that is $29.99 and not only comes in a 1000 size but also a 500. If you are looking at a great budget reel that will perform this is the one for you. If you have a little more money to spend then check out the Sahara.

samgann93
12-07-2009, 05:50 PM
shimano symetre. awesome reel and can definetly catch a dd.

im at corona a lot. let me know if your there.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102360____SearchResults

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
ill look at these closer now thanx guys.

samgann93
12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
f you have an extre 10 bucks. this is an awesome reel. at an amazing price

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLSSHIMANO-SSMGFB.html

shy_boxer
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
VG...let me know what ya need. I got the hook up!! Ju know what I mean!

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
yeah im not one on ordering things... no patience when it comes to gear i guess lol. i like that semetry too. im asking because im buying my self a x-mas gift lol. plus i want it to last. ive been using shakespeare agility reels in the 500 size but i need a little bigger reel for better casts with jigs. the stradic is really nice to just a little to much $$. my gf and i gave eachother a $100 limit on ourselfs lol.

bsp
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Save $10 somewhere and get the Stradic man! Definitely a killer reel, and that is a bargain price. You get a spare spool with it, and you don't with the Symetre. Symetres are very good too though for the money. Either of those can easily handle a big trout, so just pick up what works for you.

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
thanks for the insight bsp. whats a good shop to go to near fullerton to check some reels out? i mean who has a good selection? anglers? bps is kinda far and you never know what you want till you play with it.

Poxy Boggards
12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Symetre all the way! If you want to make your cash go a little farther, check out the Pinnacle Tiny Deadbolt. It's closer to the size of a 750 size reel, but is a very good reel on the cheap. I have landed a 15# trout with that reel along with many other 5-9#'rs. No lifetime waranty, but I have not had any problems in over 2 seasons of use.

Poxy Boggards
12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Check out Longfin! They have a good selection of 1000 size reels. The Pinnacle you'd have to buy online.

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
thanx for the suggestion wes. btw nice fish i seen ur pics from corona.

Liteliner
12-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I also vote for the stradic mgfb... Its an awesome reel for that price. Get it while you can. I think it would blow away any of the other suggested reels....:Cool: It would also go great with a Phenix Elixir rod...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

NoHo ART
12-07-2009, 08:12 PM
with $100 buy your self 3 sienna's. bin using the same sienna 2500 since 5 years never had it serviced! i used it for trout, striper, and catfish and it works fine still.

Fire Ball
12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
with $100 buy your self 3 sienna's. bin using the same sienna 2500 since 5 years never had it serviced! i used it for trout, striper, and catfish and it works fine still.

My brother has one of the new Siennas and it looks really awesome! It is a great deal. I think it performs better than some of the more expensive reels that other companies make!

troutdog
12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Save $10 somewhere and get the Stradic man! Definitely a killer reel, and that is a bargain price. You get a spare spool with it, and you don't with the Symetre. Symetres are very good too though for the money. Either of those can easily handle a big trout, so just pick up what works for you.

No extra spool with the Symetre 1000? The 750 model does, wierd...I love that reel so much I bought four of them and have not had a single complaint yet. The fact Shimano stands behind their product has me a customer for life.

TD

bsp
12-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Not on all the new Shimanos TD. It's a real bummer that you have to bump up to the Saros line and up now to get them.

Sierra_Smitty
12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
I've carried Shimano Sahara and Sedonas at my shop the last four years but over the last year and half or so there has been an extremely high percentage of them that have had problems right out of the box. I've heard this from other retail outfits as well. I used to be a huge Shimano guy but having personally had two of the last four that I bought for myself fail on me - I have some serious doubts about their current quality. I'm not buying those models any more, or carrying them in my shop....it's a huge hassle to deal with it and I don't like hassles.

I did pick up a Daiwa Exceler 1500 about a month ago and I've fished it hard - best spinning reel I've had (for the modest price tag) in years....I realize that its not a 1000 but dang its a good deal and would fish 4lb string fine.

I have a Quantum Catalyst 10 that has held up great over the last 18 months...another good option for a reasonable price. Its more like the 750 series Shimano reels though...perfect for trout. I like it a lot better than the Sedonas or Saharas that I've owned.

Just my opinion based on my experiences over the past year or so....

peace,
smitty

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 10:24 PM
thanks smitty. your advice shows great influence.

calico killer kevin
12-07-2009, 11:51 PM
The Saros on ebay is less than $100. Spare spool, one year warranty, many features of higher end reels, durable, smooth, and powerful. Love them. Preached this reel many times before and will once again.

A much cheaper, lower performance alternative is the Sienna. It was one of my first spinning reels and continues to be smooth. Mine is the old model and I beat the crap out of it. Four years and not one single service lol. Just rinse with freshwater and let it dry lol. Great for $35, plus Shimano just came out with a newer, supposedly better model. Great choice for budget anglers.

Daryl
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I just snatched a new Saros 1000F for $75 on Ebay. I love that reel. VG, have you played with the Symetre? It's a really nice real that fits perfectly in your price range. I know you don't like buying online but you can get much more bang for your buck. I see a Symetre 500FJ or a 1000FJ for $80. You could have it in your hands by the weekend.

IncredibleHuck
12-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I know most guys here will not even attempt to try a Pflueger, but last year I thought what the hell and dropped $100 on a Pflueger Supreme. This bad boy has not let me down yet after a good 30 -40 trout trips in mammoth or down here in Socal. I use it tossing my minijigs and trout worms and the drag is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilky smooth. It's also got a magnesium body and 9 stainless steel ball bearings.

At least give it a try and check out the reviews!

Pflueger Supreme (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_94739_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2)

http://basspro.scene7.com/is/servlet/izoom/BassPro/1332207_i-525039?layer=comp&wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=trilin&op_usm=1.0,1.0,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0

IncredibleHuck
12-08-2009, 11:11 AM
BTw i use that 8025 supreme, spooled up with 2 # ANDE tournament.

AngryAgent
12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
BTw i use that 8025 supreme, spooled up with 2 # ANDE tournament.

I've heard great things about that reel just haven't had the chance to give it a try.

vanillagurilla
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
yeah im just putting some ideas together right now. ill be going next wensday to some shops to check out some reels. im actualy kinda leaning twards a stradic or a sahara. but my homie is going to try and get me a deal on the new stradic CI4. its suposed to be build out of carbon fiber.

samgann93
12-08-2009, 03:33 PM
yeah im just putting some ideas together right now. ill be going next wensday to some shops to check out some reels. im actualy kinda leaning twards a stradic or a sahara. but my homie is going to try and get me a deal on the new stradic CI4. its suposed to be build out of carbon fiber.

ive played around with the new stradic and im not a fan of it. i would pick my symetre over it.

vanillagurilla
12-08-2009, 03:34 PM
damn huck theres some nice specs on that reel for $100. cant get a mag reel for $100 from anyother manufacturer. and the spool is mag too... thats rediculous. lol. maybe ill buy one and if i dont like it ill just take it back. oh well wont find out till next week.

dabigfish
12-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Wow, saw Samgann's post for Tackle warehouse/ Stradic Mg. I have most sizes of the Stradic line and love them all. (3 of the 1000's) But the Mg for $110 !!! Just ordered one due to the price. I just hope they ship one for that price. Maybe I'll give it as an Xmas present......maybe not. Jump on this one!

vanillagurilla
12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
yeah unfortunatly i gota wait till next wensday. a friend is trying to see what kind of deal he can get me on the stradic CI4.

samgann93
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Wow, saw Samgann's post for Tackle warehouse/ Stradic Mg. I have most sizes of the Stradic line and love them all. (3 of the 1000's) But the Mg for $110 !!! Just ordered one due to the price. I just hope they ship one for that price. Maybe I'll give it as an Xmas present......maybe not. Jump on this one!

50 dollars plus is free shipping =]

glad i could pass on a hell of a deal

dabigfish
12-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Samgann, this is the Mg "Magnesium" model, it retails for $229.00!! So the savings is like $120.00. I think you are thinking of the regular Stradic 1000 which retails for $159.00 for your replied $50.00 savings and free shipping. (BTW It's free OVERNIGHT shipping in California!) This is a huge discount! LOL better than you thought! THANKS for giving the heads up!

For the price difference I would normally opt for the regular Stradic, however for this type of savings $50 from regular model/not Mg (Is that what you meant?) $120.00 from retail... WOW! Anyone thinking of getting a new 1000 series or anyone wanting a screaming deal on an outstanding reel. This is it!

Thanks again Samgann!

vanillagurilla
12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
if i had the money there would be no hesitation and i would have it by tomarow lol.

samgann93
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Samgann, this is the Mg "Magnesium" model, it retails for $229.00!! So the savings is like $120.00. I think you are thinking of the regular Stradic 1000 which retails for $159.00 for your replied $50.00 savings and free shipping. (BTW It's free OVERNIGHT shipping in California!) This is a huge discount! LOL better than you thought! THANKS for giving the heads up!

For the price difference I would normally opt for the regular Stradic, however for this type of savings $50 from regular model/not Mg (Is that what you meant?) $120.00 from retail... WOW! Anyone thinking of getting a new 1000 series or anyone wanting a screaming deal on an outstanding reel. This is it!

Thanks again Samgann!

hhahahaha. wow im soo lost. lol

the reel i posted retails 229.99 and is 110. so like a 120 savings and then tacklewarehouse's shipping is free if your order is above 50bucks which it would be if your getting that reel. so big savings for a kick a** reel. haha. sorry if i was unclear in another post. i wanna pick one up asap.

Liteliner
12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
yeah unfortunatly i gota wait till next wensday. a friend is trying to see what kind of deal he can get me on the stradic CI4.

Thats the next reel on my list of things to get. :LOL:

That Dang Guy
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
The ci4 is a bitching reel. But I'm not sure why the reel feels like it's difficult to turn the handle straight out of the box. Ive felt the display models at bps and they had the smoothness you'd expect. Maybe the gears need to mesh together for a bit before you get that smoothness?

WormFisher
12-09-2009, 11:29 AM
the reel should be smooth straight out of the box. Maybe they need to get another floor model or ask to see one out of the box.
I would be very concerned if it felt that way.

I have a stradic Mg and a Symetre and they both a really smooth reels. You should try the Symetre it's a great reel for the $$.

Stormcrow
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
See the new Stradic 1000 CL4. ABSOLUTELY BALLS-OUT SICK STUPID

I have 2 stradic 1000 FH, and they are awesome, but these are hands down the nicest reels of the 1000 class I have ever seen.

fish4keep
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
The ci4 is a bitching reel. But I'm not sure why the reel feels like it's difficult to turn the handle straight out of the box. Ive felt the display models at bps and they had the smoothness you'd expect. Maybe the gears need to mesh together for a bit before you get that smoothness?

My Core 51MG wasn't smooth out of the box. But after 2-3 trip out with it, it's like a hot knife going through butter.....

gavin310
12-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I wanted a couple cheaper trout reels, so after reading reviews on Bass Pro Shops I went with the Mitchell Avocet II Gold reels. $35 bucks. They're very smooth and getting smoother with each trip and they have great drag. For the price they're very good reels. The spare spool is plastic, but I guess that's standard. Landed about 7 trout on 2 trips with the biggest being around 4 or 5 pounds and every time the reels performed great.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10204449____SearchResults

Angler Dan
12-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Based on feedback from this forum last year, I purchased the Sahara 750 with an extra spool. Absolutely love it, no issues whatsoever. I am thinking of picking up another one this year to replace my old reel.

vanillagurilla
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah im leaning on the symetry if i cant get the deal i want on the ci4. ill probly just get both :P lol. thanx again for everyones help and advice. whatever i do get ill do a full report and review to say thanks to everyone.

STEVE IN SOCAL
12-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Got my first Symetre 1000 last year. The best real I've ever owned. Bought a 750 a few months ago..older model, but seems just as good.

billy b
12-11-2009, 09:56 AM
reel wheel drive (drag) just because I'm old fashioned, set in my ways, and because Fear No Trout told me to. I know it's not supposed to have as good a drag as front wheel drive ... but I like to be able to reach the drag in the back real easy.

vanillagurilla
12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
your arms are to short to reach it in the front? lol.

Fire Ball
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
reel wheel drive (drag) just because I'm old fashioned, set in my ways, and because Fear No Trout told me to. I know it's not supposed to have as good a drag as front wheel drive ... but I like to be able to reach the drag in the back real easy.

I think front drag looks a lot cooler and for me, it is easier to use. Back drag just isn't for me. :LOL:

vanillagurilla
12-11-2009, 10:50 AM
well the facts are that rear drag reels have smaller and less drag washers so its never going to be as smooth or powerfull as a front drag reel. in my mind they are un-necessary lol.

vanillagurilla
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
id like to thank everyone that replied and it helped me alot. i ended up geting a stradic 1000FI and i love it. silky smooth drag and the new features are great. the spare spool and the free line that they hooked me up with sealed the deal for me. once again thank you everyone.

boxl0bster
12-17-2009, 01:50 AM
congrats on a sweet reel man.:Cool:

i think i might pull the trigger and get that stradic mg fb from tackle warehouse....:Shocked:

vanillagurilla
12-17-2009, 07:29 AM
its nice for the price but if you want it for the weight savings dont bother. i wanted it too untill i got both in my hand and its not much lighter than he regular FI. if you want light get the CI4 for 199.99. its worth the extra dough and is worth more than its weight in gold. that and the mgfb is discontinued. the CI4 is 6.2oz and the FI is 7.4. its even lighter than the steez and fuego.

dabigfish
12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Hey Vanillagurilla, I received my Stradic Mg from Tackle Warehouse last week. (I guess my wife had ordered a Stardic from BPS for Xmas so she has to return it! Whoops!) Anyways, not complaining on the price $110...but you are right on the weight savings...not worth it if they both at regular price. I actually prefer the regular model.. seems a little more solid. (?) Ok i'll probably take a beating for that statement. I know that sounded dumb. Also out of the box it wasnt as smooth as I anticipated, but reading some posts on here, I guess it's due to the grease they pack it in. (Funny, never had that happen before)

Anyways enjoy your new toy! Happy Holiday's

vanillagurilla
12-17-2009, 06:15 PM
yeah mine was kinda stiff but still smooth. but its really starting to break in now and its buttery smooth. the bearings gota break in also. its takes a while for the bearings because when there new the balls are tight in the races. i cought about 30 fish today and now its really smooth.

calico killer kevin
12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Okay, I bit on the Sustain. Hope it's here by Saturday so I can pop its cherry on Sunday.

vanillagurilla
12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
sweet. what you doing tomarow kev? wana hit sarl with me?

calico killer kevin
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
sweet. what you doing tomarow kev? wana hit sarl with me?
Sorry bro. Tomorrow's the last day of school for 2009. Come Sunday I might hit up Laguna or maybe Tri-City, whichever one is doing better. Monday and Tuesday are reserved for surfing.