PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 12/6 - New PB!

Fire Ball
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I took my float tube out today for the first time and let me tell you, IT WAS AWESOME! So much better than shore fishing! In the morning, I started exploring some new areas that I couldn't reach from shore, but didn't catch any fish at these new areas. I was tubing the East side after that for a while and then saw Butch and talked to him for a while. He told me a good spot and gave me a couple lures that I used before to catch a BUNCH of fish. I went to the spot he told me and started fishing. I hooked into a fish about 5 minutes after being there and it was a nice 3 or 4 lb fish. I was happy to catch my first float tube bass and wanted another bass! I hooked into a MONSTER (at least for me, lol) after that and I was fighting it for a long time. It was pulling me around in my tube! My reel buckled under the pressure or something and I was SURE that I was going to lose the fish because of it, but it was still on! I was still fighting and it started to pull my rod almost all the way into the water. It was fighting so much, but I was still able to land it! Once I got it in my tube, I saw how big it was! I instantly knew that it was the biggest bass I had ever caught!! It weighed in at over 7 lb! All in all, it was an awesome day with my new tube!

The pictures I got were not very good. I had to take them from my tube all alone, lol. It was a lot harder to take the pictures that I thought it was going to be!

First float tube bass!
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6343/bass13.jpg

New personal best, 7+ lb bass!!
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8726/bass14.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3328/bass14b.jpg
I tried taking a picture of me AND the bass, but it didn't work too well. :LOL:

troutdog
12-06-2009, 06:28 PM
That is an awesome post, congrats on the new pb bass and enjoy your tube!

TD

kaneo
12-06-2009, 06:29 PM
CONGRATS F.B....thats a very nice bass, wonder what the sore on its side is ? could be a bird strike ? nice way to break in the tube !! your fish keep getting better and kudos to butch for helping you out again and putting you on the spot !

Fire Ball
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
CONGRATS F.B....thats a very nice bass, wonder what the sore on its side is ? could be a bird strike ? nice way to break in the tube !! your fish keep getting better and kudos to butch for helping you out again and putting you on the spot !

I was wondering what that sore was too when I caught it. It might have been from a bird, maybe another fish?

bsp
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
It looks like you're going to fall into the water in that last pic! :ROFL:

The grin on your face says it all. Congrats on the PB 6lber! She was sitting right on the bottom. Slow drag a Huddleston ROF5 (ask Butch to show you how to rig it) from your float tube and you'll get a DD bass soon.

One of these days I'll pick up a float tube. It looks like a lot of fun.

Fire Ball
12-06-2009, 06:33 PM
It looks like you're going to fall into the water in that last pic! :ROFL:

The grin on your face says it all. Congrats on the PB 6lber! She was sitting right on the bottom. Slow drag a Huddleston ROF5 (ask Butch to show you how to rig it) from your float tube and you'll get a DD bass soon.

One of these days I'll pick up a float tube. It looks like a lot of fun.

I was just leaning really far back to try and fit everything in the picture, but it didn't work, lol. It is a lot of fun. Butch gave me a 8" ROF-5 swimbait today, but I don't have the gear to use it yet. Thanks Butch!

Agro
12-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Right on! Thats a great bass! Congrats on the personal best!

Fire Ball
12-06-2009, 06:58 PM

Actually, I believe it is from laying on a rock or something.

Robo Bass
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Nice fish! I need to get a float tube and fish with you :D. Those are way bigger than the fish we've been getting on shore!

Fire Ball
12-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Nice fish! I need to get a float tube and fish with you :D. Those are way bigger than the fish we've been getting on shore!

I know. The average fish I have been getting lately has been way bigger than what I was catching before. When are you going to get a float tube??

Robo Bass
12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I know. The average fish I have been getting lately has been way bigger than what I was catching before. When are you going to get a float tube??

By Christmas. Then we can both own some fish on float tubes :Big Grin:

sardean
12-06-2009, 07:53 PM
good job man! that DD is just around the corner...

Fire Ball
12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
By Christmas. Then we can both own some fish on float tubes :Big Grin:

Good! I can't wait! You need to meet Butch.

good job man! that DD is just around the corner...

I know! It will be awesome once I get one!

BIGBASS MB
12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey fireball congrats on yor pb tube bass, maybe i'll see you next time at the goon

jeff4321
12-06-2009, 09:57 PM
nice dude, float tubing the lagoon is awesome.

dfisher
12-07-2009, 01:53 PM
very nice, keep it up!

time for you to get that swimmie rod!!

AAKK
12-07-2009, 02:56 PM
vert nice report.thank you

Fire Ball
12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
very nice, keep it up!

time for you to get that swimmie rod!!

I know! Too bad they are expensive. I will probably have to wait until I get a little more money before I am going to buy a swimbait rod.

cappo
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
nice job on your PB bass.

sreykmao562
12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
dude you should see what i caught this morning :ROFL::ROFL:

Fire Ball
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not too sure how accurate my scale was, so does anyone know how much a nice fat 23" fish weighs? I want to see if the scale was accurate. I am definitely going to buy a good digital scale soon.

gletemfeelsteelgary
12-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Congrats on that fat boy....your progressing....keep at it and sooner than later double digit madness will fall upon you...

Beware though....it's a disease....but ohhhh such sweet bliss..

Nice work...time on the water...time on the water....it pays !

your going about things right...I tip my hat to ya..
sweet.

Gary

Fire Ball
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Congrats on that fat boy....your progressing....keep at it and sooner than later double digit madness will fall upon you...

Beware though....it's a disease....but ohhhh such sweet bliss..

Nice work...time on the water...time on the water....it pays !

your going about things right...I tip my hat to ya..
sweet.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I already have the disease! I go though the week just waiting for the weekend so I can go fishing!

spooky007
12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Great fish bud!! Keep at it!!

mudskipper76
12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
very nice fish! congratulations! now go catch bigger one!!

bsp
12-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Okuma Guide Select 711 H or XH swimbait rod: $110
Shimano Cardiff 400: $110
Getting it filled with 25lb Izor XXX: $5 (or free if you get comp'ed)

This is about as budget as you can get with swimbaits and still have gear that performs well. A lot of guys use close to this exact set up (maybe a Curado 300 instead) and catch plenty of big swimbait fish. You don't need to go all out and get a Conquest 400 (sick reels though). Pick up the above combo and you're good to go.

E man
12-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Good job Fireball! Kudos to Butch for helping out a young angler! For a swimbait stick you can't beat the Okuma. Tackle Warehouse has 7'6" XH on special for only $83.99 and that includes shipping...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRDCOKUMA-OGSBBR.html

lurk 182
12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
nice fish bud, that's a healthy one too (sore or no sore, she's been eating well).

Fire Ball
12-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Good job Fireball! Kudos to Butch for helping out a young angler! For a swimbait stick you can't beat the Okuma. Tackle Warehouse has 7'6" XH on special for only $83.99 and that includes shipping...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRDCOKUMA-OGSBBR.html

Butch recommended either the Okuma or the Loomis. I can get a discounted Loomis, so I might buy one. Butch recommended a Shimano Calcutta for the reel since it lasts forever, lol. I will have to ask him more next weekend.

Hollywood1
12-09-2009, 08:23 PM
hey Fireball I think you caught the same fish twice. Check out the bruise. It looks like it got bigger and the fish got fatter. Compare the pics. If so then thats a perfect example of Great Fishing etiquette, Throw it back and let it grow to catch it another day.

Great Job!

Robo Bass
12-09-2009, 08:28 PM
hey Fireball I think you caught the same fish twice. Check out the bruise. It looks like it got bigger and the fish got fatter. Compare the pics. If so then thats a perfect example of Great Fishing etiquette, Throw it back and let it grow to catch it another day.

Great Job!

Wow you might be right. It's in the same spot and everything

Fire Ball
12-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Great Job!

Haha. It is quite possible, but it looks more like a fish that swimbait101 caught a week ago. The one he caught had the same sore and the sore looked like it was the same size. If you look closely at the picture from last week and the picture from this week, you can see that the one from this week has a cut on the bottom fin toward the end of the fish and the one from last week didn't. I also found that the sore is not in the same exact spot if you compare it with the bottom fin. If you look at the top fin, then it seems to be in the same spot, but not if you look at the bottom fin. I think I compared the pictures a little too long... :Shocked:

Robo Bass
12-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Haha. It is quite possible, but it looks more like a fish that swimbait101 caught a week ago. The one he caught had the same sore and the sore looked like it was the same size. If you look closely at the picture from last week and the picture from this week, you can see that the one from this week has a cut on the bottom fin toward the end of the fish and the one from last week didn't. I also found that the sore is not in the same exact spot if you compare it with the bottom fin. If you look at the top fin, then it seems to be in the same spot, but not if you look at the bottom fin. I think I compared the pictures a little too long... :Shocked:

:ROFL: Ya I think you might have.

Hollywood1
12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Bro thats the same fish, its just stuffed with Trout and the soar is getting bigger moving towards the head. How many fish have you seen with a soar in that same spot.

Fire Ball
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Bro thats the same fish, its just stuffed with Trout and the soar is getting bigger moving towards the head. How many fish have you seen with a soar in that same spot.

I have actually seen a few on the day that I was fishing with Butch. It could be the same fish though.

Ambassadorhawg
12-10-2009, 06:06 AM
Nice big fatty!

cutbait
12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Keep at it FB, Its fun watching your progression.