PDA

View Full Version : Fishing @ Crystal Cove State Beach

fish
12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I was wondering if fishing is allowed at Crystal Cove State Beach. Are there certain regulations that I should be aware of since it is a state beach.

http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/recreation.htm

The website states that fishing is allowed, but I can't seem to find the special regulations that might govern Crystal Cove specifically.

vanillagurilla
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
i dont think so. i tried there a few times last year before work as i was working in newport coast and couldnt help my self. good looking strech of beach just beware that there is submerged rocks or boilers.

klocked
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
You're good to go with the fish in Crystal Cove:Cool:

Straight from the DFG Reg book...

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/crystalcoveDFG-1.jpg

Here's the link (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/pdfs/oceanfish2009.pdf) .... page 65

Natural Lefty
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
As the regs state, about the only thing that is off-limits at Crystal Cove is the plant life. My wife and I went fishing there once. I think it was last year. We only caught one Barred Surfperch, so it didn't seem worth it from a fishing standpoint. We did pick some really big California mussels there, though, which are allowed.

fish_sauce
12-07-2009, 06:26 AM
The musscles at crystal cove are different than the mussles you find at dock pilings. they have thicker shells (they take a longer time to grow to size), and usually have some form of barnacle or sea anenome growing on them. Although they are not explicitly prohibited from recreational take, just make sure you do so (if you must) with extreme moderation, as they are a vital link in that ecosystem.

If you can get pass the loose vegetation that is there for the most part of the year, and the crazy rip tides, there are some good fishing to be had. It helps to survey the coastline as you're making your way down to the beach, as you can get a good idea where the drop-off points are. Good luck on the hunt, and let us know how you do!

fish
12-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you all for the valuable information.

I have been to crystal cove many times, just not for fishing. It is a great place to just relax. In the wintertime the place is pretty deserted. I have gone there just to read great work of Malthus, Mises, Friedman, Hayek, Rothbard etc.

I will have to check it out. And I plan on using only artificial lures, so I shouldn't have a problem with the muscles.

Hopefully you will see a report soon. I just need to get a surf fishing reel now. I might drop some cash for the Daiwa Luna.

fish
12-07-2009, 02:10 PM
i dont think so. i tried there a few times last year before work as i was working in newport coast and couldnt help my self. good looking strech of beach just beware that there is submerged rocks or boilers.

Is Crystal Cove a more advanced location? I am new to this surf fishing stuff, so I would like to get some practice in at more beginner friendly location.

Also I have seen some users fishing by foot at NPH. Maybe I should start there. I just have no idea what to do. Where to park, where to fish, etc.

fish_sauce
12-07-2009, 08:14 PM
fish,

if you're a big fan of plastics, then Crystal Cove is the place for you. In the past, dropshot, texas rig, or weedless rig setup has worked out well for me for a number of different species. suspending crankbaits also work well when there are not too much loose floating vegetation. during the summer months, you can also take advantage of the sand crabs there for perch and corbina.

There are days when i have found myself questioning my own sanity for wading into its turbulent incoming tide, but the trade off is some of the most memorable fishing firsts for me. just check the tide schedule before you go, avoid drastic/significant tidal swings, and pay attention at all times when you're in the water.

andrew