PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Structure Sand Bass 12/5/09

Jackpot Jimmy
12-05-2009, 10:41 PM
At last, the time has arrived. Words cannot express the excitement of this kind of fishing – winter time leadhead and squid sand bass fishing. The poaching of spots at the rail, ninja-like reflexes, and a loss of leadheads all characterize this special kind of fishing. The thrill of pulling a nice bass out of the stones is exhilarating. If you pay close attention and work at it, you will be richly rewarded.

In the last week, the Tradition managed to make some live squid, and they also collected plenty of fresh dead. They call it candy bait, and that was no lie. The bass counts for the Tradition boosted in the last week, along with some triggerfish, sheephead, sculpin, and even some bonito. Anyways, my dad and I got down to Redondo early, and we rolled off the dock at 6am, with 24 anglers and plugged tanks. Our crew consisted of Captain Steven Konrady, Derrick in the galley, and John and Greg on deck. We rigged up our heavier set-ups with leadheads, and some guys slipped some mogambos on their heads. I recently bought some dorado-colored mogambos, and I was eager to try them. After about an hour or so up the coast, we set up on our first spot.

It was actually slow to start out. We were pounded by the perch, and only a few bass were caught on a couple different spots. However, those who were fishing a little jig on the surface or plastic with squid on the surface were getting some smaller bonito. In addition, some guys got bonito on their leadhead and squid set-ups. At our first or second spot, Tradition regular Tom hooked up with something big that ended up being a nice angel shark. With these guys, you have to be extremely careful, because they will tear you to shreds. After a while, the bite picked up a little bit. Some nice grumpies and calicos came over the rail, and quite a few people adapted to the fishing rather quickly and caught their fair share. One guy ended up with a huge sheephead that taped out at 13 pounds.

The weather looked ominous for the better part of the day, but there was one period when it was flat calm, and it actually got warm. However, the wind quickly picked up again - so much for that.

We tried a couple more spots in the afternoon, and we got some more bass and sculpin. The last spot was one of the better spots of the day. We swung around on the anchor, and we would get the vast majority of the bites when the stern was facing towards shore. This spot held mostly calicos, and nice ones at that. With time running out, Steven turned the boat towards Redondo, and we headed on home.

It was a nice day fishing the structure sand bass. Nothing wide open, but a steady pick nonetheless. I ended up with six or seven mixed bass, with a couple of them close to four pounds. A nice mixed bag was caught today – bass, triggerfish, sculpin, rockfish, bonito, sheephead, and even an angel shark. You needed fast reflexes today, as some guys got completely ruined. However, I did not lose one leadhead today. If I was too slow, I would get stuck in the stone, but I would slack off, put it in gear, feel a thump, and swing, only to lose the fish. I did get some fish out with that technique, though. Quite a few casualties today, but people learned from them, and made sure to be a little quicker on the draw. Overall, it was a great day on the water. Great times, great fishing!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-31.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-33.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-32.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/004-28.jpg

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/006-26.jpg

carpanglerdude
12-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Wow, beautiful catches! Nice report!

Rubble
12-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Very nice Report & Pics Jimmy.....

I LOVE plastic fishing......:Envious:

CAPT'N
12-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Alright, I am revealing my age, but mogambos were always large round breasts..........

So what are mogambos for fishing???

Capt'n

Jackpot Jimmy
12-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Alright, I am revealing my age, but mogambos were always large round breasts..........

So what are mogambos for fishing???

Capt'n

Mogambos are plastic grubs made by Kalins.

hbomb
12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Nice bass jimmy cant wait to get out there with you all, Great report as usual.......hey #1 yak carlos great job senor lol. :Cool:

JapanRon
12-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Jackpot immy,

Way to go on the local MDR fishing .... especially the Bass !! Surprised the Calicos weren't mixed in petty good .... being in the structure and all !!

Moganbo's (white 5"er's) and a Squid strip were my Ling go-to plastic setup when I was fishing meat .... years ago !! Great deals on them at K-mart sometimes !!

You mentioned 'The poaching of spots at the rail' being the rule ... and I assume everyone !!! You know how I would handle some donkey trying to pull that one on me !! Does that mean I can't fish on the Tradition ?! ha ha ha

Great report as usual. SMB .... a world apart from Horseshoe Kelp I expect. I just may do a few trips when the Victory is in for refurbishing.

Again .... good job !!

JapanRon

lingcod sierra
12-06-2009, 04:59 PM
muy buen reporte jimmy thanks see u saturday:Rolls Eyes:

Jackpot Jimmy
12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow, beautiful catches! Nice report!

Thanks for reading!

Very nice Report & Pics Jimmy.....

I LOVE plastic fishing......:Envious:

Thanks!

Nice bass jimmy cant wait to get out there with you all, Great report as usual.......hey #1 yak carlos great job senor lol. :Cool:

Get ready Hariel, you need to be quick. Thanks for reading!

Hi Jackpot immy,

Way to go on the local MDR fishing .... especially the Bass !! Surprised the Calicos weren't mixed in petty good .... being in the structure and all !!

Moganbo's (white 5"er's) and a Squid strip were my Ling go-to plastic setup when I was fishing meat .... years ago !! Great deals on them at K-mart sometimes !!

You mentioned 'The poaching of spots at the rail' being the rule ... and I assume everyone !!! You know how I would handle some donkey trying to pull that one on me !! Does that mean I can't fish on the Tradition ?! ha ha ha

Great report as usual. SMB .... a world apart from Horseshoe Kelp I expect. I just may do a few trips when the Victory is in for refurbishing.

Again .... good job !!

JapanRon

Thanks for reading Ron! There were actually a few nicer calicos caught, but the vast majority were sand bass. I did well on the mogambos, but most of the time, I was fishing leadhead and live squid. I tried out the dorado color, and I got several sculpin and a nice bass, including one of those economy sized sculpin.

As for the poaching of spots, it's all in good fun, yet, a part of the game. The spots we fish are relatively small, so if someone hangs the rock, everybody would fish over by that person, because if you're not in the structure, you're not fishing. I wouldn't push someone out of their spot, but I would fish next to the person hanging the rock if there is room. That way, we all have an equal opportunity to land a nice bass.

Come on out Ron!

lingcod sierra
12-06-2009, 05:07 PM

muchas grasias Hariel. poque no bienes a pescar con nosotros el sabado traete al Victor ?:Cool:

fisherman from long beach
12-06-2009, 05:10 PM
nice sheephead.i love to eat sheephead

bman90278
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks very much for the great report and excellent pics. I'm going to try the Tradition this week depending on the weather this week and my work schedule.

Brian

deanhall32
12-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Hmmm.. sounding very tempting. Sounds like someone from the old crew up there might want to put together a rendevous for an upcoming Saturday or Sunday...

Damn Jimmy- Your English teachers would be proud of you for the way you put together these reports!!

ghetto dad
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Hmmm.. sounding very tempting. Sounds like someone from the old crew up there might want to put together a rendevous for an upcoming Saturday or Sunday...

Damn Jimmy- Your English teachers would be proud of you for the way you put together these reports!!

:Secret:

GD

troutdog
12-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Nice report Jimmy, congrats on the solid bass!

TD

Ricky-Ray
12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Nice going Jimmy. Nice goat too.

ezcompany
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
i was on this trip. that sheepshead was huge....largest one i've seen.
the trip was very cold...so anyone planning on going be prepared.
i only managed 2 bass, and lost a ton of lead heads. most fishermen were very defensive about their spots, giving you the eye or even claiming that they "purchased" the spot and to shoo off...when later you see them fishing only spots were fish are caught :Rolls Eyes:
needless to say i had a good experience learning from Jackpot Jimmy, he sure knows how to fish and how to do the "bass shuffle" lol. there were also a handful of nice people on the boat as shown on the pictures. others either treated you like you didn't know how to fish for bass, or they own the whole damn boat.

ghetto dad
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
i was on this trip. that sheepshead was huge....largest one i've seen.
the trip was very cold...so anyone planning on going be prepared.
i only managed 2 bass, and lost a ton of lead heads. most fishermen were very defensive about their spots, giving you the eye or even claiming that they "purchased" the spot and to shoo off...when later you see them fishing only spots were fish are caught :Rolls Eyes:
needless to say i had a good experience learning from Jackpot Jimmy, he sure knows how to fish and how to do the "bass shuffle" lol. there were also a handful of nice people on the boat as shown on the pictures. others either treated you like you didn't know how to fish for bass, or they own the whole damn boat.

lol...watch out if you ever fish with us...if youre on a spot and ure catching fish...you move...you lose it!! lol... "poaching spots" homie....:ROFL: those days were fun....

fish 25-30 lb MINIMUM for the bass....

GD

JapanRon
12-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi ezcompany,

Ya .... I think a lot could be gleaned from observing JJ's fishing ..... talent all around ... besides hanging with a familiar face, fun person, and HIS buddies. Good folks' buddies are usually .... well .. good folks.

And .......... as there are .... 'others either treated you like you didn't know how to fish for bass, or they own the whole damn boat'. If indeed these guys are after others legit spots, it would great fun to shine these donkeys on and teach them a thing or two about how a pro deals with folks, such as themselves, on boats with assigned rail spots. I voluenteer to be the most consumate teacher ever to step on the deck of the boat and make a lasting impression on them !! ha ha ha

It sounds like you had a decent time and suspect you're game for more trips on the boat. First time one goes on a boat .... one is sometimes caught off-guard on if there are or most usually just who are the air-wholes !! Bu...t once they are identified ... the next time the story can become quite different !! Me .... I'm old .... I see 'em a mile away ! ha ha ha

JapanRon