PDA

View Full Version : Local Noob 2 DVL!

NooB SaBass
12-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Ok so I have lived in Murrieta for 3.5 years now and I have never set foot 1 time in DVL.I finally kept passing it on Winchester (15 min from my house lol) and figured "I'm going there this weekend..." So Im headed there in like 20 min and I'll probably be soloing it on foot just Nomad fishing. Anyone have any tips or know any spots to catch fish here for a first timer? To make it even worse im new to bass fishing hahaha I was pretty much a Cat hunter and snaged a few strippers on Chicken liver 1 time and a couple bass in the Aquaduct in Hisperia and a few times jiggin in my short 20 years of living so im pretty much a Noob for America's Flagship fish. I got some stuff that resemble Shad (swimbaits) and 2 Rapala's a GFR-5 Deeprunner and a RNR-7 sinker...Well Thanks and tips up everyone! ^^

NooB SaBass
12-05-2009, 03:23 PM
well got skunked lol 0-1

vanillagurilla
12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
try the windy side of wind blown points. ika's or t-rig.

NooB SaBass
12-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Ya i used a T rig in the last cove from the Dam left of the Marina, using White and Lime Power eggs, then flicking a silver/black rooster... nothing...

Troutman65
12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Sorry about the Skunk. The more time you put on a lake the better you get at catching fish. You live close so I am sure you will have it down in no time :Wink: I myself have not put any time in at DVL. Hang it there .

fishntime
12-05-2009, 04:27 PM
try the windy side of wind blown points. ika's or t-rig.

X2 works for me

vanillagurilla
12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
well if your going for trout walk all the way to the dam on the left and fish in the last cove with mini jigs in shad color.

NooB SaBass
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I originally went for Bass, but it seems the cold snap are making them pretty sluggish, the last cove I tried withthe rooster, and T-rig one white power egg and 1 lime green throwing twards the open right away from the DAM... nothing... Where are good bass spots @ btw? I know Bass fisherman tend to gurd thier spots so PM me if u dont like sharing lol... As for trout I'm open to them as well, maybe once all this rain stops I'll head out for round 2 with 2 poles! 1 for Bass and a another for trout with a bell so I can wonder a bit throwing for bass...

Matt_Magnone
12-08-2009, 08:25 PM
the shore bite can literally bite. much like the bite from a boat, some days you'll whack em' and some days you'll wonder why you decided to even bother to come out and wait 3 hours in line to get your butt handed to you; this is diamond in a nutshell. anybody who says otherwise obviously hasn't put a lot of time on this lake. dont sweat it though. it happens to everyone.

the biggest thing i could say is fish the moment and dont worry about what myself or anyone else says how they were getting fish the day or week before. diamond can change and it does so sometimes in a matter of hours.

for the bass try and understand key seasonal patterns and how weather influences them in these changes. try and understand the fish position from open water and main lake points to fish moving to the backs of coves in spring. understand the use of making angled casts versus to and from shore casts and the biggest, understand the lakes forage base. know why a bass is feeding on a bluegill more over a shad or crawdad. while stupid and critical i can make this sound, these are all things that can make an alright day into and excellent day.

for starters open your tackle box and take a careful look at your bait selection. not everyone has a million dollar lucky craft lures, every worm color under the sun or reels that cost as much money as our cars. take it one step at a time and put the baits you have in the box to good use. just remember you can make ANY bait catch fish.

think about the season you are currently in. looking outside you see crystal clear skies, no leaves on trees, 30 degree cold crisp air. a light switch should go off. HEY! were in winter! now you gotta think what would a fish be eating this time of year. taking constant water fluctuationinto account, its safe to say whatever forage living in and around shallow cover is also on the move as their safe sanctuaries are also moving. a crawdad that was carefully concealed under a shoreline rock is forced to move shallow as water rises forcing him out into 15'. with rising water and cooling water, shad are forced deeper as with bluegill following the thermocline. you'll always catch fish following the bait but this time of year a lot of your fish are looking for the slow lethargic easy meal.

knowing your local forage is not only extremely crucial but so is knowing plant life. look outside and what do trees look like right now? brown dead and sparse. as underwater vegetation starts to die off it also turns brown or a green pumpkin color hint hint. knowing that your forage base is around because of constant evolution, you should realize that with changing color of vegetion, the forage base relating to these key spots will also change in hopes of not being eatin by big mama bass. why does the US go to war wearing camo or drab colors? why dont we wear bright clothes?
to be concealed.

now look at that same box of baits you opened before. you got a firetiger crank, some black, purple and brown worms, a rapala jerkbait, some roostertails, a jig and a handful of storm, fishtrap or castaic swimbaits. knowing that we're in winter and fish should be staged off of points in 25-50' of water. think about what you're trying to imitate. the crawdad, shad, bluegill or goby minnow. crawdads are a dominant bait this time of year as are shad.

pick your favorite shoreline point. make sure it has lots of large rocks on it as rocks will offer the most amount of heat on them this time of year. in fact try one of my areas. walk down the road at the east dam to the water line and walk like 2 points right towards the launch ramp. it may be more but i got a headache right now :Shocked:. it should be one of the 3 most distinct points on that shore you see. knowing that the water drops into 30 plus you have a sanctuary for winter bass. with weed growth through the summer and rising water you should feel weeds out off the bank probably 30' then the open set of rock where we all were walking during the low water and now isolated shrubbery that was previously at our backs. take your jig and fire it out as far as you can cast. remember your angles. create a number system in your head and remember for every cast you make you subtract 1 from the system. the goal would be to cover the point with as few as casts as possible. the more you cast the more the fish realizes somethings wrong.

imagine you have a beer can on a table during a party. you look down or to the side then notice your beer can was moved a foot to the right. you'll sit there wondering why its not where you left it last. you go back to drinking then go check your BBQ. you come back and your beers not on the table but hidden by the refrigerator. you know someones screwing with you. fish aren't stupid. they know when somethings not right. so why do we all cast into the same spot 20 times wondering why we havent been bit?

try and fire your bait across the point hitting the uphill on one side, bring it up over the point and hit the downhill on the otherside. you'll piss a lot of guys off making severely angled casts, but it will help you in the long run. play your percentages. you know there's a bass there. with as few as casts as possible try and unlock what he wants to eat, how he's position and how deep he is. by putting your bait all over the point in one cast you can not only prey on the wicked instincts of a bass, you can isolate the pattern faster and up your odds at the same time.

right now, throw the carolina rigged baby brush hog, jig, ika, and swimbait and you should be just fine.

watermelon; clear bright weather. green pumpkin; cloudy dark weather

if you need any help, just lemme know. im at the shop just about every day.

hope i helped you dude!

NooB SaBass
12-09-2009, 08:01 AM
wow thankyou thats the first real pointer i have got bout Bass fishing. I added 2 larger swimbaits in a shad color with refective skin, a crawdad colored crank, a few crawdad jigs Ill Carolina rig or Texas rig, few more mini jigs and a white spinner I had that I forgot about to the growing DVL geared backpack I have. Figured with two different poles to throw with and a Trout pole soaking somthing's gotta hit today. I'm headed there right now actually, hope to hit water by 9AM, I'll post another thread with results if they are good, and ask for more help if bad hahahaha, it sees like a nice day, cold but least the suns out with not much clouds so looks to be a good 1....Watermelon time! =)

BassinPLS
12-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Matt,

That was a great report / suggestions on DVL. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish more people would help those of us that are continuing to learn. You're an asset to our sport.

Tight Lines,

BassinPLS
:Not Worthy:

NooB SaBass
12-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Ok sooo got to the Lake @ 9:50AM and had all lines soaking by 10:15AM... Stayed till 2:50pm and 0-2 now... they stock tomorrow so I'll try again if it dousnt rain lol...

Matt_Magnone
12-09-2009, 08:31 PM
no sweat guys. im always willing to point people in the right direction; thats why i chose the profession im in. i remember what it was like learning the ropes. my dad was a seasoned tournament fisherman and made me work hard for the knowledge ive obtained. never telling me how to do it, he always made me figure it out for myself.

dont feel bad about the bite. were going through the first real fall to winter transition this year. water temp most likely dropped a couple degrees fast so the fish are freaking. think about it. last week it was somewhat warm and all of the sudden this week we're wearing jackets complaining its cold out. so are the fish. with the cold weather, we seek warmth indoors rather than stand out in the street lovin life. so do the fish. they want to feel warm. target large rock on the bank and start working your way offshore as the comfort zone is dropping through the water level. that thermocline we preach is sinking. that invisible zone holding the most amount of oxygen, bait and warmth is where you wanna be. think about it. outdoor bbq or hometown buffet in a warm environment with all the helpings of food only a walk away.

:EyePop:

you're GOING to catch fish dude! you just gotta know it before you even walk down to the water. the fish WANT to eat the bait you're throwing. all you have to do is refine your presentation. remember what i told you about the point system? when working a worm, for every time you lift your rod tip you can move your bait as little as 1" to 8 feet. make sure you creep the bait along this time of year. think slow slow slow. for example. say you're using a 7' rod. the action makes no difference in this scenario. as you lift the rod from the 9 o clock position to the 12 o clock position, you just brought your lure the length of the rod across the bottom.
7 feet. since when does a crawdad hop 7 feet across the bottom in one burst even being chased by a bass? they just dont! instead maybe work from 9 to 10. 11 to 12. or better yet, break it down and work between 9 and 10 then between 10 and 11. try and focus on what your bait is doing for every hop you make. soon enough you'll be able to know you're crawling up a 1' rock then feel your bait dropping of a 3' ledge. knowing the rate of fall and bait position at all times is key!

the next is your time of arrival. there's a reason i get to the lake at 3am and leave by 11. try getting there earlier and you should notice better results.

NooB SaBass
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Thought the Lake opened t 6am?! wow 3?!! I wanted to head out again with a new longer rod I bought, but it might be 2 late now, what pound test nd what brand do you use? I was using Spider Mono #10 and it gave me wayyyy to much trouble thinking of going down to 6? or will bass break that?

BassinPLS
12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Thought the Lake opened t 6am?! wow 3?!! I wanted to head out again with a new longer rod I bought, but it might be 2 late now, what pound test nd what brand do you use? I was using Spider Mono #10 and it gave me wayyyy to much trouble thinking of going down to 6? or will bass break that?

The water is really clear at DVL and the fish tend to be line sensative. Try changing you line to florocarbon. The fish don't see it nearly as well and your bite percentage will increase.

Stop by Last Change Bait & Tackle in Hemet and talk to Matt or Chris. They won't steer you wrong and they know DVL! Really Good People!

Good Luck

BassinPLS

NooB SaBass
12-10-2009, 12:02 PM
ahhh thx, I'll head there now, gonna head out for a afternoon session im bored lol...

Matt_Magnone
12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
did you happen to cruise into the shop today? i was workin on a lot of things and if you did, i appologize if i didnt get a chance to chat with you. im pretty much there all the time so if you get a chance roll in.

howd you do out there?

NooB SaBass
12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
No didnt get a chance to go yesterday and today its raining, so when it clears I'll head out again...