PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt For Mr. Halibut

saltman
12-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Well I finally caught my first halibut out of the surf today. Man does it feel good to get the monkey of my back. Well Went down to Malibu, Lake like conditions out there this morning, Water was crystal clear also alot of bait fish in the surf . I actually managed to catch 3 shortys. One at 19 1/2'' and two at 15''. Two were caught on plastics and the other one on the crank.

DockRat
12-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Congrats on getting the Monkey off you back :Applause:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll153/tfouties/someoneget.jpg DR

shovelnose
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
nice work on the surf

bones
12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Awesome job on the first flatties!!!!
Actually a hard one to pull off right now at the end of the season so I seriously tip my hat to you. I fished Malibu yesterday myself and stuck three shorties too. Two at 14" and one at 21" but you have to work pretty hard for them. I only fished for two hours and got the two little guys right off the bat and then nothing for two hours. I got the 21" right at sunset but I must have walked about a half of a mile to get that last one. Keep it up and hit it hard for the next two days.....Our weather is going to turn to crap starting sunday and there is a major swell due in on the 9th (double overhead sets)which should really screw up everything.
Go get em while there still up in the shallows buddy and congrats once again!!

flyngby
12-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Ram,

A huge congrats on your First Surf Flatties!!!!!!!!!!!:Applause::Beer Toast:

Although I know you have talent and have spent many hours/years out in the surf and enjoyed catching those BSP you now exposed yourself to the Flattie World and it will be hard to return to the past!!!!

Trust Me! It will soon be a Legal, then a goal for a 25" and then the 30":whistle:

Thanks for the call at work today with your excitement!!:Big Smile:

By the way your GPS coordinates were of by at least 30 miles!!!!!:Angry:

Glad you at least paid attention to the fact that they would be around STRUCTURE!!!!!!:Thumbs Up:

Steve

Wingnut
12-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Outstanding Ram!!! Congrats on your first af many Flat Boys. :Big Grin:
That legal Hali is next! :Twisted:

murrieta angler
12-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Good job getting your Butts. Looked like the smaller had been caught before and netted, due to it's split tail. Thanks for the report and pics...:Smile: