PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing at Diamond

viperman100
12-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey I just checked the fish stocking web site and there are no updates for stocking in December, does anyone know if Diamond Valley will be getting trout anytime soon?

viperman100
12-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Ok so here's the deal, I kinda invited myself on my inlaws fishing trip, but I have never fished trout at DVL, infact I've only fished the lake twice and did great on LMB. I'm looking for pointers and maybe some spots to try out. I will have my trout swimbaits and have them on stand by but what I was told is that they rented a pontoon but plan on staying close to shore because they get sea sick very easily. I would like to get them on some trout cuz they dont really fish very often and one of the uncles thats going is at home facing terminal colon cancer so this is like an all brothers trip to get out together. I fish for trout mostly with water bubble weights baited with powerbaits and power worms. But if anyone would like to share their secrets they would be greatly appreciated. Our trip will take place on Wed. the 16th of this month. Thanks to any and all replies.

vanillagurilla
12-03-2009, 05:21 PM
i would try the small coves near the dam. just stay to the left while leaving the marina heading twards the dam. ive done good back there in the past on mini jigs from the shore.

diamondbear
12-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Theres going to be a bass and trout tourny on the 12 of dec. so there should be a trout stocking just before that . The east dam north side should be good for trout with your bait setup , good luck .

TroutOnly
12-04-2009, 07:38 AM
check the dvl web site they always have whats happening now for the stocker trout, the others are out chasing shad or baby bass,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O

pwynn
12-04-2009, 09:18 AM
remember you are looking at DFG stocks. DVL is not only stocked by the state. The big ol trout the put in there, dont come from state stocks.

viperman100
12-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok I was able to chat with my wife's uncle (the one that is organizing the trip) and he says that its mainly because of the medication that his brother is on that he gets motion sickness so easily, they plan on fishing by the docks incase they have to come in quick, any info or reports on fishing near the docks? thank you all I realy do want to make this trip a good one for them.

viperman100
12-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Ok, so today was the big day. Like I had stated earlier the group I was fishing with were more interrested in getting together more than really fishing. Because of that they were not planning on heading to the lake until after 9am. Well since I had stuff to do today I chose to head out earlier on my own and do some shore fishing before they got there and checked out the boat. So I arrived at appr.6:15 and get in line at the entrance. I have never shore fished here before so I dont really know how to get anywhere. I asked the guy at the entrance where can one shore fish and he gives me a map showing the designated areas for shore fishing but doesnt really tell me how to get there. I parked picked out three poles from the back of my truck (swim bait, med action casting, and spinning combo) grab my back pack and head to the right of the marina. Right off the bat I notice a dead bass in the water so I figure they must be around here, there was alot of plants coming out of the water but it was all shallow cover. I begin casting my drop shot with a bold bluegill robo and figure I will save the swim bait incase I actually see a swirl close enough to reach with a long cast. I was not going to sit there and cast that thing over and over again because I figured I was in too shallow a water anyways. Well the drop shot goes and comes back several times untouched, so I rigged my bait cast with a carolina rig and hook on a green lizard. That pool goes out and back and still nothing. At this point I'm starting to think that may be there are no fish in the shallows and I should just jerk around with my swimbait till the guys get here and we can get out on the water. Then I remember last night going online and looking at the fishing tips section in the marina web site, it said that darker colors and specifically called for watermelon and oxblood, when I read this last night I remember telling myself you have to try these colors out no matter how hard it is for me to leave my favorites out. I have a tendancy of catching fish on one color in one body of water and wanting to work everywhere else and have a hard time not using it. Well I forced myself into hooking on an oxblood colored worm on my drop shot and first cast got me my first fish. On the outside edge of the weeds, it was small but it was my first shoreline fish at dvl ever. Second cast just to right of the first got a good hit but it was a swing and a miss. Again my stubborness got the best of me. The fish were only biting when my worm was on straight but I kept getting caught in the weeds and getting small bites that would tangle up my worm and instead of changing it out for a new one (I did have an almost brand new pack) I kept going back with the same one that was torn from the first fish and the good bites that I had earlier. Well I finally managed to get myself to use a new worm after countless misses on short strikes and produced another fish, a littel bigger but still not worth taking out he cell cam for. I then grabbed my carolina rig and placed a watermelon colored hulla grub (wanted to use my brush hogs but I had left them back at the truck) casted out and on a slow retrieve got nothing. Casted out again and got snagged up on bush went to pull it out and as soon as it let loose fish was on it like crazy, good hit and good fish, I know this cuz I saw him come up out of the water as he spit the hook back at me so I never got to land this guy. Just as I had started picking up a rythm my phone rings, and the guys are here. I'm thinking now its time to do some real fishing. My bad these guys are here for hang out time not really to fish I end up rigging up their reels fishing out in the middle of nowhere because we have no depth finder and just going along with whatever they wanted to do. But dont get me wrong we still had a great time, I never really hang out with any of my wifes family and it turns out that these are really great guys who like bs'ing and having a good time. No one really complained or got frustrated that we werent catching any fish it was all fun. Almost made me feel worse cuz I wish I could have got them some fish action but it was not to be. I had them drop me off at the dock at 2 I had a long drive ahead of me and alot to do they stayed behind and cruised the lake around in the pontoon. All had a good time, maybe next time I'll rent the boat and really try and get them on some of those nice dvl bass.

My total for the day 3fish countless misses (really off my game today) and lots of fun none the less. my advice if something aint working chang colors change bait size. dont hesitate.