PDA

View Full Version : Tips for making rentals go slower?

shinbob
12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Any tips out there for making a rental boat go slower, for trolling? Last time I was out at Castaic, at idle the boat was going over 3mph, wanted to get it down to 1.5mph or so.

I would imagine that a drift sock hung off the back might work, but those rentals don't have anything on the transom that I could clip it to. Plus, I would think that there's a chance of getting the rope tangled in the prop when doing turns.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Troutman65
12-02-2009, 01:19 PM
What about towing a 5 gal . bucket that has some holes drilled out of the bottom ?

Agro
12-02-2009, 02:04 PM
There has to be a spot somewhere on the boat to attach a drift sock with a short line, or a 5 gallon bucket...

shinbob
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
A 5 gallon bucket is a good idea, and I could use it to haul some stuff in as well.

The last boat I rented only had attachment points in the bow, for the anchor/dock lines. I'm thinking that with a short line, would the bucket bump against the hull? If I bought a drift sock, would it open if pressed against the hull?

I might try the bucket idea, and try to vary the line length to see what happens.

Agro
12-02-2009, 02:40 PM
It really needs to come off the center rear of the boat. If it's off to one side, it will probably cause you to do donuts unless you hung one off each side of the boat.

cappo
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
dont those boats come with a paddle lol

NoHo ART
12-02-2009, 05:44 PM
i tried a drift sock on my crestliner but it didn't go to well because i lost most of my steering ability

vanillagurilla
12-02-2009, 05:49 PM
just bump it in and out of gear lol. its not your boat haha. i think most rentals have a small knob on the end of the throttle control, if you turn it counter clock wise it should loosen the throttle a bit so it slows down.

EDIT

i thought the rentals at castaic only go 3mph lol???

GeordyBass
12-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Be sure to get the rentals with the newer tohatsu motors though....lol u'll get stuck with the other pos....lol Bucket will work just find if centered right.... Oh yeah(nit related btw...lol).... If you get a rental at SARL and have a trolling motor or little gas motor rent the "row boat"..... Instead of paying $60 or haulin around my own boat, I pay $17 for rental and strap on my little 3.5hp Nissan....lol.... Good Luck!

jerryG
12-03-2009, 09:08 AM
You could try using two drift socks on short lines no longer than 6', if rigging one on each side of the bow. Or you could rig two drift shocks one off each side from mid boat if you could come up with a way to secure your sock lines using the oar locks. Of course you would probably want to shortend lines down to about 4'. I know saltwater guys who bounce ball for halibut troll that use drift socks to slow down thier trolling speeds. I think your better off keeping the socks in front of your troll lines though. It will keep your troll socks out of the way of your troll lines and help reduce the risk of your sock lines getting wrapped in the prop.

JerryG

shinbob
12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas! I must be the only one that complains that those rentals go too fast - LOL

I've tried the one where you take it in and out of gear, but I was making my friend seasick!

I think I will try the bucket idea first as a cheap proof-of-concept (practically free), but if that works I might invest in the drift socks.

slief
12-04-2009, 10:00 AM
5 gallon bucket or a good sock would be first choice. You could also check the engines to see if there is a manual trim adjustment that would allow you to trim the engine up a couple notches.

Shock
12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Shinbob.....

Not sure what you're trolling for but if it's for Striper, 3 mph is just fine, no need to really go slower...

fishmounter
12-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Troll in reverse or backwards. The stern does not cut through the water as easily as does the bow. It will be a little slower. That's how we troll for Walleyes up north.

Ryan C
12-05-2009, 11:41 PM
flood the boat with water all that weight will slow u down

Nessie Hunter
12-06-2009, 09:30 AM
:Rolls Eyes:

Take a screwdriver and re-set the idle!!!!!!!!!