PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment question??

PHISHnutS
12-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Sorry I've searched for an answer to this question everywhere and can't seem to find one, even on the CA EDD website.

Here's my situation/ question.

I recently became unemployed (laid off after a plant closure). I have already filed for unemployment but have not received a check yet. I applied for a job already and was asked to register through a temp agency for a trial work period before being hired on. Now that I've started working I'm getting the feeling I will be temp much longer than I expected.

I don't want to screw myself here since I have not even begun to receive my UI benefits yet. If I work through the temp service full-time for more than two weeks I understand my case with EDD will be closed, but if I'm dumped by this company in a few months before my original claim expires will I be able to file under my previous employers UI claim or do I start over with only two months worth of benefits to claim?

I hope someone has had some experience with this or may know exactly how this works. I know it's also a sticky situation when you 'turn down work' , I don't know how this will play out if I decide not to continue working through the temp agency because I really need/ want permanent employment with benefits.

Thanks for any insight and help, I am also going to be sitting on hold for a few hours each day to try and get through to the EDD office, hopefully they can give me a straight answer.

vanillagurilla
12-01-2009, 07:46 PM
i think unemployment is accrued through your life working. i dont think it matters how long you worked for the previous employer. the only thing that matters with the previous employer is the means of termination.

lalo56
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Its based on the previous year.

viking172
12-01-2009, 07:59 PM
THey will just reopen the same claim from your previous employer, basically if you are unemployed it goes off the wages of your highest paid quarter the year before. Once you open a claim it is open for about a year. If you file a claim and get a job and lose it again you reopen the same claim. It is a much easier process to do this then the initial filling process. You pretty much call up and tell them and they just start sending the paperwork again.

Hope this helps.

lalo56
12-01-2009, 08:02 PM
This link will explain it all.

http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/uiben/computing_benefit_entitlement.htm

I know this link is WI but its based the same way.

viking172
12-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I am seaonally unemployed everyear for a couple months due to the nature of my job (wildland firefighter with the government). So I also wanted to let you know and im sure you already experienced it, that waiting to get through to them is terrible, that number is useless, I sat around for 2 days trying to get in once. Start calling at 7:55 and you will get lucky occaisonally and be one of the first at 8 a.m.

If you have any more questions p.m. I will be glad to assist you if I can, since they are no help.

PHISHnutS
12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the responses, they are all very much appreciated and I feel allot better now.

sktruth
12-02-2009, 07:11 AM
try the vietnamese phone number... you won't understand whats being said, but if you wait, it's easier to speak with an actual person this way...

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
12-03-2009, 06:33 AM
try the vietnamese phone number... you won't understand whats being said, but if you wait, it's easier to speak with an actual person this way...

lol...good one...sometimes it's better to collect and fish..don't tell obama i said that though...early retirment..