greg
07-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Short version (all C&R except the last):
6 Alpers
many stockers
few browns (up to 16 inches)
few brooks (up to 6 inches)
1 accelerator cable

Drove up with Mike Y (a buddy I met on my annual Excel trip) just after midnight on Saturday. Ate breakfast at Jack’s. :) Unloaded the truck at the condo in Mammoth, checked in at Rick’s (picked up a new pair of gortex waders 8) ) and hit Lake Mary in our float tubes for 3 hours (near the cement block) and picked up a few stockers up to 14 inches, all on Power Worms (PW). Then made it to Mamie in the mid-afternoon and picked up a few more stockers and 3 Alpers (all 19 inches, within in 15 minute period :P ) on pink/white Lip Ripperz (finally, a few Alpers on LRz :oops: ). Did not make it out for the evening bite since we were too tired from the drive but Angels had great ribs :) …

Sunday, hit Lake Mary as the sun was rising for about a dozen stockers over 6 hours. Mike nailed a 4 ¾ pound Alper :D 8) :D on PW in Ted Reed’s Hole. In the evening (all colors of PW and pink/white LRz), I caught 20-30 stockers with a small brown at Lower Twin. 8) I got some chili for dinner at Grumpy's (the best chili in town). :) :)

Monday morning, snapped the accelerator cable. :cry: We called the Auto Club for a tow to Alpine Auto Repair (the best in town for repairs). Then got a rental from Enterprise (got very lucky since all the other vehicles were rented for the week of the 4th). We were finally able to go fishing after a 9 hour delay. :twisted: Back to Lower Twin for the evening bite with more stockers on PW and LRz (I finally have faith in them LRz). :roll: They ran out of prime rib at the Stove so I settled for the pork chops (not bad). :roll:

Tuesday, got to upper Twin before dawn for a few stockers in the deep hole. The hole near the waterfall was dry! Left after 2 hours and back to Mamie. Mike nailed another Alper but lost it in the logs (what a farmer). :( I get a 4 ½ pound Alper on a PW during a slow troll in the early afternoon. We saw F&G dump 250 pounds of stockers in both lakes. The accelerator cable did not arrive from LAX since FedEx didn’t deliver on the 3rd (now, that’s ironic, getting a part from Westchester so we can get back to Westchester). :? :? :? Drove out to Gull for 2 hours. I now have my chance to drop my crawfish traps but caught only 1 (and a small one at that)! :shock: :oops: :shock: We did pick up 2 more Alpers while slow trolling off the bottom. 8) 8) Ate in June Lake.

On the fourth of July, we got the morning bite at Lake Mary then Mamie for more stockers on PW and LRz. The temps tied a record at 91 degrees!!! :o Then we arrived at Lake George for the evening bite for just a few stockers along the east shore and the outlet cove. We were surprised how slow it was. Found out later that some of our friends did well just off the big rock for Alpers. Finally, got my prime rib at the Mogol (always been my favorite place for dinner plus the best salad bar in town :mrgreen: ).

Finally, our truck is ready to pick up on Thursday afternoon and we left after the long morning bite at Mary, Mamie, Twin for more stockers. Got lots of fishing in my tube! :wink: :wink: :wink
Finally, I'm more confident with them Lip Ripperz after this trip. :slap: :beat: :udaman: :notworthy: :beer:

Spike/Hunter
07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
good job, im goin out there on the 14th for the first time and ill make sure to try those pw an ripperz

brn2fis
07-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Great report sounds like you guy's had a great trip. Next time post some pictures please.

ryanerb
07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
how are you fishing the lip ripperz and power worms?

on a jig head?

carolina, texas? do you cast out, let it sink to the bottom, and just jig it back?

im heading up there soon, and as going to try pw and lrz for the first time, and i want to do good! thanks for the help.

Ryan

farmerandy16
07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
the best way to fish them in the sierras especially in the mammoth lakes is threading it on a size ten mosquito hook, and a bb size split shot about a foot and a half back.

-andy

ryanerb
07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
sweet andy! thanks a ton!