PDA

View Full Version : Great Day Of Trolling 11/30

StoughtyRods
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
My buddy Brett, his son Tyler (4 yrs old), my cousin Andrew and I decided to do some fishing at Irvine Lake and slay some trout. Not anticipating a long line at the gate since it was Monday morning, we decided to leave at 5:00 am to "hopefully" arrive as they were opening up the gate. I hook up Brett's boat to my truck while Brett is getting Tyler ready for the day and were off by 5:15 am. As we were going through Brea Canyon I looked in my passenger mirror and noticed the tire on the passenger side of the trailer was smoking ......... a lot. I did not want to stop on the side of the freeway (the emergency lane was very narrow), so I slowed down until we could exit the freeway.

We found a empty church parking lot with a street light and positioned the boat under the light so we could work on it. Luckily, I had my heavy duty jack in my truck so we jacked up the boat and as soon as the tire lifted off the ground, IT FELL OFF.....TIRE, HUB AND ALL!!! We got lucky we didn't cause the "Monday Morning, After A Holiday Weekend, Sig Alert on the 57 Fwy". Thank god Brett had all the components in his boat to fix this issue (new hub with the sleeves already pressed in, buddy bearings, grease etc..). It took us 45 min to fix and after a phone call to Andrew (who was already at Irvine Lake waiting for us) to explain the delay, we were back on the road to go fishing.

Now onto the fishing report, we arrived a little before 7:00 am and my cousin Andrew was waiting for us. We launched the boat and begun trolling. The wind was present during the launch (10 - 20 mph), but according to the forecast it would die off by 10:00 am. Well, the wind seemed to just get worse as the day was progressing. The middle of the lake was all white caps for a while and the flats looked even worse. We continued to troll around the lake with the wind howling with only a few hookups. The fish seemed to only be biting the lead core line (5 colors out) with a "Fire Tiger Needlefish (gold backside)" with the wind being present. At about 11:30 the wind finally died off and we were left with a slight breeze and fishing got really good for us. Tyler caught on pretty quick, we would yell "Hook-Up" when we got bit and Tyler would say "Hook-Up! My Turn! It's My Fish!" all while running back to the rod that was bent over. Classic stuff!

We were trolling a total of 5 rods (2 -- CD-5 Brook Trout / 2 -- CD-5 Fire Tiger / 1 -- Lead Core Line - Fire Tiger Needlefish). Water was 60.3 degrees at launch and 60.9 degrees when we pulled the boat out of the water. Hot spot of the day was from the bouy in front of the red cliffs to the point where the inlet cove starts. We fished until 2:00 pm and called it a day.

Thanks again Brett for the invite. It was cool fishing with Tyler. He is gonna be a fishing machine when he gets older!

Total Fish Count:

13 - Rainbow Trout (1# to 3.5#)

1 - Brown Trout (approx 4#)

1 - Large Mouth Bass (1# Released .... hit the Needlefish)

3 - Rainbows lost at boat side -- There is a 2# rainbow with a brook trout CD-5 in its mouth swimming around the lake. The line snapped when the fish jumped next to the boat. Reward if found .. lol

Here are some pics of Brett and his Brown and Brett & Tyler holding a 9 trout stringer.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=16592&stc=1&d=1259694155

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=16593&stc=1&d=1259694168

Fishthewhaler
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
nice going on the extra hub, i gotta get prepared in the worse case scenario for my boat. It's great it didn't stop you and you slayed a ton of fish. That whole hub slides off pretty easy after taking off that cotter pin and bolt. great idea and nice slay!
FTW

Big Daddy
12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Great Report and Way to stay with it most would have given up but your patience and perseverence paid off big time Great Job and Congrats:Big Grin:

tizzfishin
12-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice report. I am trolling right now tueday at 11:53 and have the skunk going. I have lost 4 before getting them to the boat. Gonna give it a few more hours.

2jackedLUNGS
12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
thanks for the report. nice job on the brownie.

primo55
12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Good days fishing,nice brownie!!

Troutman65
12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Nice going on getting back on the raod . :Cool: Congrats on your stringer & Brown trout. :Cool: Thanks for posting up.

Freshness21
12-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Nice Brown piece. Can't wait to land one of those for myself one day

StoughtyRods
12-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Nice report. I am trolling right now tueday at 11:53 and have the skunk going. I have lost 4 before getting them to the boat. Gonna give it a few more hours.

Well, how did you do? Did it get any better for you?

tizzfishin
12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Nope didn't land a fish and called it quits about 130. My motor kept dying at trolling speed so I was going too fast most of the day. Rebuilding the carbs this weekend. I will give it another go next week.

Judder73
12-03-2009, 12:10 AM
good report ... great pics....Way to stay motivated and finish the trip :Beer Toast: