PDA

View Full Version : Slow day at East Line Street and Hiway 6

billy b
11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Never fished there b4 and was returning from seeing my team win and greeper's not (just pokin some fun ... how did your golf team do?).

Anyway got one brownie about 12 ' out of a hole south of Line street. Tried pickin some holes and then went up to the 2nd bridge on highway 6 and couldn't get any love.

Was mainly drifting a NC ... tried a little garlic pb and a couple of pautzke's. I'm new ... not proud ... and open to suggestions.

At least I didn't catch a black and white catfish.

deanhall32
12-01-2009, 06:52 AM
I fished that same area last Tuesday. Is the flow of the river still low? It's pretty cool to hike along that trail and come to an open area with a nice pool!! Was the weather still nice?

retired96
12-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Lower Owens is 104 CFS as of this morning, will probably stay low until spring runoff.

billy b
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Dean ... Which area are you talking about? ... and what is low.
How'd you do?

Been fishing for a lot of years but am stupid about the CFS stuff. Still learning.

deanhall32
12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I parked at the E.Line St. bridge and walked south on the eastern side of the Owens.

deanhall32
12-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Dean ... Which area are you talking about? ... and what is low.
How'd you do?

Been fishing for a lot of years but am stupid about the CFS stuff. Still learning.

Got blown off the river the first day with 33 knot winds and caught 4 small rainbows the second day on kastmasters but lost 7 kastmasters due to the low water. Can't let them sink with the shallow water. Fun though!!!

TroutOnly
12-02-2009, 07:32 AM
HEY BILLY ITS TIME TO HIT THE PVR,,,,,,,,,,,,THE COLD WILL HAVE THE BROWNS AND RAINBOWS TURNED ON,,,,,,,,,t/o

billy b
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
I visited the lower end for the first Monday ... where the footbridge is. Looks like the opening in the fence is narrow. Do you guys lift bikes over the fence ... or just hike in ... how far? My wife has a little motorized wheel chair which could help her get to a site where she could watch for a while ... would the way in off Sherwin Grade be better?

I'm interested in you guiding me if it's accessible. Tell me more.

retired96
12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Billy b,
When you say Sherwin grade, I assume you mean the area of the river below the power plant. Access there is foot and bikes only, your wife would have a very long ride in her rig and she would never be able to get close to the water as the area is bordered with monster rocks. The section of the river there is bordered by some very thick brush and vegetation.

billy b
12-03-2009, 06:50 AM
I know that there is a turnoff that says something like "gorge" and "power plant" that is on the right ... at the base ... just as you start up Sherwin Grade. I started down that road and saw that there are multiple turns to take ... North or South. Did find one place that was gated off and several cars parked.

It's sounding like there is no easy access. I've seen a couple of pictures taken (T.O. and others) fishing by a nicely paved road ... but there is rocks to climb down.

I wondered how far the fishing is from the 2 entrances ... Pleasant Valley Road --- or Gorge turnoff. The lower end wouldn't allow her to get through the gate ... but maybe I could walk a ways and fish for maybe a little bit and leave her at the campground.

billy b
12-03-2009, 07:04 AM
was having 1 or 2 3/0 split shots about 12-18 inches in front of a NC ... and just bounce it down stream into some of the holes. Make sense?

retired96
12-03-2009, 07:20 AM
I know that there is a turnoff that says something like "gorge" and "power plant" that is on the right ... at the base ... just as you start up Sherwin Grade. I started down that road and saw that there are multiple turns to take ... North or South. Did find one place that was gated off and several cars parked.

It's sounding like there is no easy access. I've seen a couple of pictures taken (T.O. and others) fishing by a nicely paved road ... but there is rocks to climb down.

I wondered how far the fishing is from the 2 entrances ... Pleasant Valley Road --- or Gorge turnoff. The lower end wouldn't allow her to get through the gate ... but maybe I could walk a ways and fish for maybe a little bit and leave her at the campground.

There is a walk thru gate by the power plant but I don't think its big enough to get a wheelchair thru. The road is paved but only dwp vehicles can use it.. It is a pretty long walk to get to the areas to fish. I think the north end of Pleasant Valley Res. is at least 3/4 to 1 mile walk along the paved road. There are sections of the Lower Owens where you can park at the waters edge and your wife could watch you fish and be only feet from the water.

Billy b check your PM as I sent you a message about river flows..

asmacsbob
12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
only place for a wheelchair would be the upper end of pleasnt valley res...wouldnt be able to get close to fishing though....have to go bout 3/4 mile one way in

billy b
12-07-2009, 07:09 AM
My wife wouldn't mind sitting a watching for a while ... if it was okay to use the road. How do the regulars use bikes?

asmacsbob
12-07-2009, 07:10 PM
you can ride a bike up from p v campground...or from the power plant at the top...try to throw castmasters or rapalas rite before dawn or dusk...otherwise powerbait or crickets

billy b
12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
over the fence? Or did I not look close enough? Seems there is a gate that is pretty narrow.

Nessie Hunter
12-09-2009, 09:05 AM
was returning from seeing my team win and greeper's not !!!!!.

Now that is FUNNY..... :ROFL:

billy b
12-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Psst!

Don't tell Greeper that I took a back shot at him. There's a lot of bRuins that are not in a good mood right now ... including my high school buddy who moved up here last year.

Never met him. But he sounds like a great guy and a great golf coach in my old neck of the woods.

asmacsbob
12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
you can lift a bike over the drive thru gate then head up the hill...but its just as easy to drive to the powerplant and ride in...if when you camp you have a car/truck and not a motorhome.....there is a walkthru fence down below also.....and look at the fenceline toward the river...i dont think its all there

billy b
12-10-2009, 07:17 AM
... sorry to be slow on the uptake

when you talk about the powerplant ... I'm assuming you mean taking a turnoff right at the base/beginning of Sherwin Grade at the "power plant" sign? But which road ... from there ... leads to the place you're talking about?

And what exactly do you mean by ride in? With a bike ... or small wheel chair? About how far in?

Thanks VERY MUCH for your help!

retired96
12-10-2009, 12:47 PM
... sorry to be slow on the uptake

when you talk about the powerplant ... I'm assuming you mean taking a turnoff right at the base/beginning of Sherwin Grade at the "power plant" sign? But which road ... from there ... leads to the place you're talking about?

And what exactly do you mean by ride in? With a bike ... or small wheel chair? About how far in?

Thanks VERY MUCH for your help!

When you turn off of 395, drive east about 1000 yards, the road comes to another road, turn right and drive about 3/4 mile where the road comes to the power plant. There is a small parking area. You cant miss the paved road and gate that leads towards the Resivoir and sections of the river. If you can get your wheelchair over the road barrier, its about 3/4 mile until you get to the upper section of the resivoir. Keep in mind you will not be able to get your wheelchair down to the waters edge, too many huge rocks..

asmacsbob
12-10-2009, 04:37 PM
to tell you the truth....i have forgotten if access at the power plant is blocked by a gate or not...seems like the other person says it is so i would take his advice....i do know you can get a bicycle thru either way...but dont think any kind of a wheel chair without help....and you cant get close to the water with a wheelchair