PDA

View Full Version : looking for a trout jig rod

vanillagurilla
11-29-2009, 04:04 PM
and want to know what you guys use for mini jigging and worming. just looking for ideas as far as off the shelf rods go. i dont support pheonix so thats outa the question, plus id like to spend under 100 bucks.

calico killer kevin
11-29-2009, 04:05 PM
Daiwa Spinmatic. Best value trout rod IMO. $40

vanillagurilla
11-29-2009, 04:54 PM
thanx kev. wish i had the funds for those costa del mars a week ago lol. if you ever go trout fishing let me know. ive been tearing it up at laguna after the stocking but my trout rods had those cheap aluminum guides and after last season there all groved up.

Bigreeler
11-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I use a lot of 7 1/2 and 8 foots that are fly blanks and wrap them into spinning rods for mini jigs and power worms. If your not looking to spend a lot of $ bass pro has a 7 1/2 foot 2 pc 2-6 pound rod nice for mini jigs without breaking the bank. Retail is $39.99. I'm starting to see alot of guys using them.

Liteliner
11-30-2009, 09:13 AM
For the money you cant beat a spinmatic but if you supported Phenix id go with the 7'6 elixir series. Best trout jigging rod ive spent my money on and they look awesome. :LOL:

cappo
11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
berkley tactix cost around $40

vanillagurilla
11-30-2009, 10:27 AM
yeah ive had 2 tactix rods and even with 2lb i cut the guides lol. and liteliner ive fished with the phenix pro team and there dick heads. they tried to punk me outa my spot and i told them they would be swimming if they tried any harder. plus the metal reel seat will freeze ur hands if you go up the mountian lol.

tall tales
11-30-2009, 12:11 PM
ive got some crappie rod from bass pro. i love em i have a 10ft and 12ft sams super sensitive. also have a 9 ft wally marshall they work great for the price.

That Dang Guy
11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Vanilla, I'm met two 'individials' (I use this term loosely) that claim they are prostaff for phenix. I don't care for them either. The rods look nice and fun, but those two completely turned me off to that company. Totally arrogant and talks down to everyone. They weren't interested in promoting their company's products, but rather to sell rods at a discount for themselves. I'm not sure if that's phenix normal policy or not.

Although you're looking for a factory rod, check out the MHX series at mudhole has a great blank for minijigs. Feels perfect for 1/32 and can do 1/64 with a very light or no wind. s841. Too bad you just missed their black friday 35% off sale sale =/

vanillagurilla
11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
yeah id hate to mess up a good blank trying to wrap it my self. i tend to get excited and rush things. i wish i could afford to have one made but i cant right now.

sonarbp
11-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Vanilla, I'm met two 'individials' (I use this term loosely) that claim they are prostaff for phenix. I don't care for them either. The rods look nice and fun, but those two completely turned me off to that company. Totally arrogant and talks down to everyone. They weren't interested in promoting their company's products, but rather to sell rods at a discount for themselves. I'm not sure if that's phenix normal policy or not.

Although you're looking for a factory rod, check out the MHX series at mudhole has a great blank for minijigs. Feels perfect for 1/32 and can do 1/64 with a very light or no wind. s841. Too bad you just missed their black friday 35% off sale sale =/

I would like to know more info on the individuals you met that claim they are on the "PRO-STAFF" for Phenix. I know the owners of the company and I am sure if the guys you talk about are on their pro-staff thay would like to know. Phenix is a great local company that makes quality rods.....knida of pricey yes, but the quality is great!

vanillagurilla
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
i know of a few that claim to be on team phenix. granted i only see them use phenix rods but there assho!es. snaggin fish with jigs then takin pictures with them. this was last year btw at LNL. there was 3 guys there. 1 guy was cool with me, he was a big white guy they called "tiny" and then there was 2 older guys that had a stick up there *** the whole time.

sonarbp
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I can Guaranty that those guys ARE not part of the pro-staff....back to looking for a trout rod....take a look at the spinmatic line. About $35 bucks just match it up with a reel and you in business!!!

samgann93
11-30-2009, 03:04 PM
i personally have thought the phenix guys i met were cool. idk how many there are but the ones i consistanly see at corona are cool. good fisherman too.

and phenix rods are awesome for fishing plastics for trout. gloomis makes a good rod too but the 7'6" phenix elixer is perfect.

i have a spinmatic and im not a big fan of it. . .

good luck on your search

BackReel909
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey VG , the guides on the Tactix cut your 2lb? I used mine once and it felt like there was alot of friction@ the guides on mine also those fools that say they are team phenix are straight up idiots :ROFL:

vanillagurilla
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
nah BackReel999 my 2lb CUT INTO THE GUIDES! i have grooves in the metal on the guides from the line. even my 2 other rods with aluminum oxide guides are messed up from only 1 season. well.... i did catch a 12lber and hooked 4 more over 10lbs but my hook kept pulling out.

vanillagurilla
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
well posers or not they sure went thru alot of effort to have team phenix jackets and t-shirts. i still out fished them with a $15 zebco trout seeker rod lol.

vanillagurilla
11-30-2009, 10:16 PM
what u guys think about a kencor noodle 90? i got a guy that wants to trade for my clarus but i gota drive 40 miles to trade. anybody have any experiance with them? ever since they went outa buisness i cant get any reviews.

Liteliner
12-01-2009, 01:25 AM
It sucks about your encounter but I hope you do give Phenix a try. The elixir rod is truly a jiggin machine... You wont be dissappointed...

I just picked up a swimbait rod from them today and the guys I spoke to were both really cool too.

samgann93
12-01-2009, 07:02 AM
i personally hate kencors. i know some people love them.

vanillagurilla
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
yeah im not sure about it either. i like graphite rods more than glass. if i had $200 liteliner i might try one lol.

Poxy Boggards
12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Get a Shimano Compre. There are a bit over $100, but you get a lifetime waranty. The light action 7'6' and 8'6" models work really well for jigging and worming. Very sensetive rods. Great resale value as well.

The Phoenix rods are a thing of beauty, not sure on the waranty for those rods, but they sure are prety and nice in your hand as well.

Good luck with whatevery you decide to go with. Slay those DFG stockers!

Bebop
12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I make fishing poles PM me and xmas will be good to you

Troutman65
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I own many a Kencor trout rod. Great rod IMHO. I like a glass rod.

The Kencor Zebra rods were glass wraped with graphite . I have one of them too.

The Shimano rods Are great too.

As for the Phoenix rods they are great fishing rods. I have seen many of them and wished I owned a few.

VG , I am sure you will find what works for you in time . Good luck and lets go trout fishing soon.:Wink:

vanillagurilla
12-03-2009, 08:00 AM
i picked up a diawa spinmatic for not. cant beat 43.50 otd. im talkin with a friend right now about a custom rod but hes not sure on the price untill hes done. so i gota wait lol.

calico killer kevin
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
i picked up a diawa spinmatic for not. cant beat 43.50 otd. im talkin with a friend right now about a custom rod but hes not sure on the price untill hes done. so i gota wait lol.
Ask him to build it on the MHX blank that TDG recommended or a Rainshadow. Both are budget based, but with great performance.

vanillagurilla
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
yeah i talked to him the other day and he get some specail fly rod blanks that are hard to come by i guess. i used his rod and it was nice. rod dose all the tip action for you. ive had the spinmatic for 2 days and already got about 15 fish on it. its nice but u gota work the jig a little more than with a longer softer tip but for 43 bucks its nice. im gona pick up 2 shorter ones for bait rods.

Sierra_Smitty
12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Hard to find but the Daiwa Spinmatic Tuflite is probably the best rod I've ever fished that was under $100. Only problem is the tips break - a lot(I've been through 5 of 'em). Keep your receipt though and it's no biggie..they almost always break within a year and you just get a new one. The regular spinmatics aren't bad either for the price.

My current rod of choice is a Fenwick HMX 7'6" rated 2-8lb test. I have three of them right now - great rods and durable. A bit more stiff than some of the others out there but once you get used to it, they're freeking awesome. My distributor just informed me that they just discontinued them but if you can find one - get it. They're right about $100 retail and worth every penny.

Shimano Compres are great too - had the 7'6" model- something didn't fit me right so I sold it but it was a great rod and my buddy who owns it now really likes it. As others have mentioned, exceptional warranty.

Bass Pro shops had a 7'6" ultra light rod last time I was down there that ran about $50 - would have bought it if I was in the market for a rod - very solid. A friend let me fish his last summer and it was great for the price.

Unless you're swimming in money - the ultra high dollar rods just aren't worth it IMO. Felt or fished 'em all and I just haven't seen a sufficient increase in performance to justify that much dough.

vanillagurilla
12-03-2009, 08:51 PM
i hear you on the $$$ part smitty. i just like how easy it is to mini jig with the custom 8'6" rods. you dont need to do much work and seeing as i use mini jigs all day, endurance plays a roll. i used to use a 6' rod but its just too much wrist movement and my forearm starts to "pump" and gets sore.

Sierra_Smitty
12-03-2009, 09:02 PM
i hear you on the $$$ part smitty. i just like how easy it is to mini jig with the custom 8'6" rods. you dont need to do much work and seeing as i use mini jigs all day, endurance plays a roll. i used to use a 6' rod but its just too much wrist movement and my forearm starts to "pump" and gets sore.

Got ya - custom rods are sweet - no doubt about it. One of my guests gave me an 8' jig rod as a gift - thing was SWEEET! Couldn't afford it if it wasn't a gift though. Still though, 7'6" is my preferred length..long enough to toss a 1/32oz jig but not so long that you can't fish a creek with it.

Ultralight
12-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Coming late to this thread. I believe that rods that 'does the jigging for you' with their more 'jiggy' action at the tip also loose significant sensitivity. Gain something, loose something.

UL

2quikmotorwerks
12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Coming late to this thread. I believe that rods that 'does the jigging for you' with their more 'jiggy' action at the tip also loose significant sensitivity. Gain something, loose something.

ULI agree 100% with you ive always believed that you would want a fast action rod not a slow action rod for jigging

vanillagurilla
12-04-2009, 12:53 PM
well optimal is a fast action rod thats long so you get good tip action and sensitivity. the blank is the key. my 7'6" works ok i just dont have enough distance. fishing side by side with my buddy and his custom 8'6" he was able to get about 15 feet further than me, he got more hits and fish too. seems like they were sitting just on the edge and further than my casting distance.

formosa
12-05-2009, 09:47 AM
yeah, i had same happen to me, i was fish 8ft next my buddy's 9ft, and he out cast me.
now i only fish 9fter from the shore. i was fish with Rouge rx905, then my other buddy
told me about Phenix rods. this year i did a custom wrap fx 902.man this beauty out perfor-
med Rouge. the longer rods can cast farther, but they are not perform the same. imo that's
why Phenix out perform Rouge.

rip555
12-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to clarify a few things. Since Phenix was brought up, I thought I would jump in.

Vanillagurilla - Congratulations on your choice. A Daiwa Spinamatic is a great rod. I'm sure the custom rod being wrapped for you will serve you well too. Hopefully, some of the remarks I make below will help change your perception of Phenix. Whether you buy a Phenix in the future or not is not what I am trying to change. Everybody has their own preferences. What I do want to help change is your perception of the Phenix company. I know that change doesn't come overnight but I hope I can be a catalyst for it.

First and foremost - THERE IS NO TEAM PHENIX. There was and it just got too controversial and drama as a lot of you know if you dig in the archives of FNN. So Team Phenix was disbanded.

In terms of people walking around with Phenix Rods and apparel, there have been several times when Phenix in its efforts to promote itself gave away a jacket along with the purchase of a rod. This was done at the past Fred Hall, Bass-a-thon, and other venues like the ISE show in Sacramento. Phenix itself cannot be accountable for all the people that claim to be on their "pro-staff." They SHOULD however be held accountable for their choices of pro-staff that were on Team Phenix. Seeing that in a lot of ways, having that team was more detrimental then beneficial, the team was disbanded in that there was a lot of "Us Vs. Them" mentality from both sides. The original intent was just to promote the rods as Phenix. Phenix also wanted to support a trout lake that had a good following. Irvine Lake seemed like a great choice. That is why they have always played a role in prize donation, etc. The intent or promotion became one of the lowest priorities when certain "members" forgot what they were part of.

With that being said, Phenix currently has no pro-staff except for some people fishing bass tournaments. Those people are:

John Perkins
Rusty Brown
Vincent Borges
Rod Wynn

A pro-staff member is defined as someone that is willing to:
-Help out at tradeshows
-Promote the brand in a positive manner
-Be an ambassador of fishing
-Help sell fishing rods on a wholesale level
-Truly believe in what they are using

What does a pro-staffer member get in return:
-Be in the "industry." Face it, a lot of people just want to be part of something that they love doing so much
-Discounts towards PERSONAL purchases (note the word "PERSONAL")

Phenix has been around for a long time but had to re-invent itself in the last couple of years. They have definitely gone through some growing pains and will continue to do so. They are however committed to bringing you a great product. If you call the phone number listed on their website, you'll probably end up talking to one of the owners themselves.

How do I know all this? I'm friends with the owners. If you see me out there, I'm a 6'4" Asian guy probably sporting some soft of Phenix paraphernalia. I'm not the greatest fisherman but I sure do love to fish. I would love to share any tips I have if you are just starting out. If you are an old-hand at fishing, just come by and say hi. These are where I fish - Puddingstone, Santa Fe Dam, Castaic (both upper and lower), Piru, and Irvine. I'll hit up other places too but the above are where I frequent most. I'll usually be with my family which consists of my wife, 2 year old daughter, and 4 month old son.

Thanks for reading. I know it's a little bit of tangent from the original post but I'd figure I would address the issue since I had some knowledge into the matter.

Robert

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Thank you for the info Robert. I have been contacted by a "pro staff memeber" who is going to set things right for me. i look forward to Phenix's rods in the future.

AngryAgent
12-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Unless you're swimming in money - the ultra high dollar rods just aren't worth it IMO. Felt or fished 'em all and I just haven't seen a sufficient increase in performance to justify that much dough.

I would have to disagree with this statement. I have fished many of the rods that have been previously been mentioned and none of them can come close to even compare with what I'm fishing now. I'm not downing what you're saying but the proof is in the pudding and I have caught more then my share of fish on nothing but plastics, bait went by the wayside many years ago.

You will notice a definite difference between a high dollar rod and a rod that is less money. Some of the rods that have been mentioned that are less money are nice rods and will get the job done absolutely but when fished next to something of a higher caliber you can 100% tell a difference. Talking about endurance is something anyone that fishes jigs constantly will agree with when it comes to performance, lightness and sensitivity. All cork handles without a reel seat, titanium guides that all the guides in titanium weigh less then just the stripper guide of stainless or alconite guides, rod blanks that are half the weight and the list goes on and on. You absolutely get what you pay for and that's a fact. PM me if you would be interested in fishing with my gear and see if you don't feel the same. I am not trying to sell you a thing, I don't wrap rods but I don't want you to be misinformed either.

As far as the Phenix Team well that is another thing altogether. Tiny is an awesome guy and a great fisherman and a few of the other guys that hang out in that crew are as well but more then a few of them are snaggers or have been caught trying to use a fish that wasn't caught the day of the tournament with the eyes all whited out (simply shameless) lost my respect years ago, you know who you are!:Rolls Eyes: Trout circles are small and it's a small world, integrity goes a long way too bad it's lost (for the most part) with past generations..

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
in never said theres no difference in high priced rods because there that price for a reason. im just broke lol. hopefully by the weekend i can get a nice rod. the cheaper rods work good but not good enough. my only gripe with the spinmatic (and most cheaper rods under 60-80) are the guides. the spinmatic is supposed to have some special coating on the tip guide and i noticed that mine is coming off already and ive only had the rod a week. id love to fish with your gear just for the sake of using good gear but i got a nice rod coming to me soon and with that i need to get a new reel.

shy_boxer
12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Daiwa Spinmatic. Best value trout rod IMO. $40

I concur~~~~!!!!

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
x3.. thats why i have one... that and all i could afford at the time hahaha. already got 20 fish on it in a week. it was even the week before the next stock at a CITY park LOL!

vanillagurilla
12-14-2009, 06:54 PM
well i got a deal on a phenix that i couldnt say no to so i got a phenix 862. so far im impressed at the quality and sensitivity. going to get my new reel this week to. im going to pair it with a stradic 1000 mgfb. i will write up a full review after i get the reel and hang some fish. watch for a report/review sunday or monday.

samgann93
12-14-2009, 07:07 PM
well i got a deal on a phenix that i couldnt say no to so i got a phenix 862. so far im impressed at the quality and sensitivity. going to get my new reel this week to. im going to pair it with a stradic 1000 mgfb. i will write up a full review after i get the reel and hang some fish. watch for a report/review sunday or monday.

thats a SAWEEEET setup. good luck with it.

vanillagurilla
12-14-2009, 07:11 PM
thanx man. i even got a mini bendo today on a city stocker to pop the cherry on the new rod.

samgann93
12-14-2009, 07:24 PM
wait till you catch an 8lb at corona. or even better.... a DD!!!!!!

talk about bendo. haha

vanillagurilla
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
yeah i caught a 12lber at LNL in jan or feb. i hooked 5 fish over 10lbs that day and only landed the 1. my damn hook kept coming out!! and i use owners! haha. btw i cought that fish on a $15 zebco trout seeker rod hahaha! maybe thats why the phenix guys were giving me such a hard time?!

samgann93
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
dang hooked 5 in one day!!! man i need to go to lnl with you. haha.

ive figured that if you can fish a mini jig than the rod doesnt really matter. but man those phenixs have aweome action and are 10x easier to fish trout plastics with.

vanillagurilla
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
yeah they are eaiser. i didnt get those fish on mini jigs though. i got them on a clear pink lipripperz with sparkles splitshot and whacky rigged.

samgann93
12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
ya i fish lip ripperz pretty much exclusivly. i love em. so do the trout too ;] haha.

if you ever wanna buddy to hit up lnl with for some dd's let me know.

vanillagurilla
12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
i need a buddy to hit up anywhere. im thinking of sarl or corona this week prob friday. i was going to go to irvine this weekend but with the tourney its going to be to many ppl.

samgann93
12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
i fish corona a ton! or as much as i can. haha. i try and go once a week. im still in high school so weekends and breaks are when i go.