PDA

View Full Version : Late night fishing at Balboa Pier

maxpowers
07-06-2007, 12:38 AM
So I pumped some GS early evening with the thought of refrigerating them for Friday's evening of fishing with my son. Well I got bored so I drove to Balboa Pier to check out the fishing. Rigged up with the GS for nothing in the first 1/2 hour. Waited patiently for the prime fishing spot (regulars know where I am referring to) to open up. After the crowd left, in a span of 45 minutes, I proceeded to catch 8 YFC to 12" and 1 spotfin @ 14". I wanted to release the fish but a group of teenagers fishing next to me ask me for the fish for their dad. I shared my GS with them but they were definitely NooB so they couldn't catch anything. Felt bad for them as they were trying hard. I decided to hand-off as soon as I hook-up so that they can experience the joy of fighting a fish. Hopefully it will get them hook on fishing. Anyway I didn't have anything on me so no pics. A couple of guys fishing further in the breaks caught a couple of beans with mussel. Couldn't convinced them to release the beans. Ohh well. Hopefully if my son decided to go fish with me Friday, I'll take him down to Balboa.

Mike

Re8elmonk0341
07-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Hey Max....long time buddy how are you?

one_leg
07-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Sounds like you had some fun!

The two guys, were they fishing on the south side?
There were two guys fishing there, on the evening of the third, with mussels, and they had a couple corbina around 11" to 13".

Was anyone jigging for squid? Saw a few carried off then also. 2 to 4 lb.s each.

One_Leg

maxpowers
07-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey Rithy,

Yeah it has been a long time buddy. How have you been? Are you still stationed down here? We should get together and fish again soon. Maybe hit one of the 1.5 days out of SD for some chicken?

Oneleg: Yeah they were fishing the south side. It is easier to fish that side as the waves and current really played havoc on your line if you are not careful. Anyways for a span of 10 minutes or so, as soon as the bait hit the water, the YFC was on it. It is pretty fun on 8 lbs test. As for the squid, they are still catching them although I don't think it is a good idea from the pier. Those things are in the 15~20 lbs class and landing them from the pier is such a chore. Much easier to just go on a twilight boat and get all you want.

Mike

one_leg
07-06-2007, 08:10 AM
The good spot you mentioned was thick with people on both sides on the night of the third.

Sounds like fun. I might have to make another trip out there earlier in the evening.

One_Leg

xtranzman
07-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Nice job!

I love that pier!

Cool of you to let the kids bring one up after you hooked up. :thumb:

Maybe we will see you out there sometime.

X