PDA

View Full Version : Catilina and sunfish collision

labboss2003
07-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Went on over to catilina on the 3rd and 4th me my nephew and his friend did really well on the calicos ended up with limits for both days was pretty much wide open no matter what you threw you got one released more than i could count caught one yellowtail who was haggin out with the blue pearch under the boat all and all it was a fantastic couple of days at the island :D

now comes the bad stuff .........as we were coming back about 15 miles from newport i was clipping along doing abot 35 mph it was really flat when all of the sudden a loud thump as if we just slamed into a rock was sitting in about 1600ft so that wasnt it lifted the engine no kelp ....looked back about 20yds and seen something flopping around on the surface went on back to it and it was a giant sunfish would say it was about 500 to 600 lbs took about a 2 ft chunk out of its backthe way we hit it i thought i ripped the lower end of the engine picked a chunk of flesh out of the water and the things skin was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick i often wondered if anybody ever hit any of those out there or whales or other slow moving sea creatures so i answered my own question if anybody has had a simmilar encounter please share or am i just the lucky well the good news besides the chunk out of it back it seemed to be swimming along allright very little blood in the water
so we head on back to newport to watch the fire works at newport dunes great show put the boat on the trailer wassh it get to just about the ferrari dealer and feel thump thump ..flat tire on boat and guess what i have no spare took the tire off drove back to newport dunes on 3 tires pay anothe 15$ leave the boat at the ramp because it was midnight kinda thought there wasnt too many tire stores open
well it was still a good trip and i do have a spare now wont make that mistake again ...........................Bob

seanyboi
07-05-2007, 10:37 PM
hahaha dang i never heard of anybody hitting a sunfish before! By the way great job on the fishies and the little rat yellow

ThanksKK
07-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Found some interesting pics of an un-injured sunfish in case anyone's curious. wow. quite a fish.

http://www.earthwindow.com/mola.html#

troutdog
07-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Hey labboss,
Glad to hear you did not hit something that coulda done some serious damage to your boat or cause an accident etc. Pretty compassionate of you to check him out, seems like you felt kinda bad about it. I don't mean to accuse you of anything because I don't have all the facts of your trip, but that pile of fish sure looks to be more than 10 calicos per person. Pretty sure it is a 10 fish possesion, but I could be wrong because of the amount of days you fished? Not quite sure how that works for private boaters....I want to give you the benefit of the doubt on this, but perhaps someone could clarify this. I just hope all that fish went to good use at a muti-family holiday bbq, a charity or for someone less fortunate.

I think we all have been guilty of keeping a bunch of fish, eat a few fillets and the rest goes into the freezer to be thrown away in 6 months. I try and make sure that never happens again, mainly by only keeping what I plan to eat within a couple weeks or making sure I have someone that will appreciate some fresh fish ie. Mom or the sushi chef that always takes care of me.

Like I said I do not know all the facts, but I sure hope those youngsters know that letting a few 12 inch bass go to make babies and fight another day is also okay.

C&R...its not just an old clothing store anymore :lol:

TD

one_leg
07-06-2007, 01:22 AM
You guys look wore out! Musta been a great day for you until the collision.

Even when you keep an eye on the water ahead of you at all times, you can't always avoid hitting something.

One_Leg

labboss2003
07-06-2007, 01:46 AM
thanks for the replys we were out there for 2 1/2 days kept a total of 49 bass 1 sheephead 1 bonita 1 yellowtail most of the bass were 15+ inches preety sure the limit is 10 a day on the bass 20 total combined of all spieces per day kinda sure pb have the same catch limits as the multi day moo moo trips the dfg reg book is hard to figure out if someone could let me know if my thinking is wrong let me know
and we eat all the fish with in a day or so dont like to freeze them and forget about them

labboss2003
07-06-2007, 02:19 AM
ok i found this but if out more than 10 miles does it apply ?????????

27. 5. Multi-Day Fishing Trips.
The following provisions apply to anglers and to boat owners and operators when a Declaration
for a Multi-Day Fishing Trip has been filed with the Department of Fish and Game.
(a) Provisions related to the angler: Up to three daily bag and possession limits of saltwater
fin fish, lobster and rock scallops and up to two daily bag and possession limits of abalone are
allowed for a person fishing during a multi-day trip in ocean waters from a boat whose owner
or operator has filed a Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, pursuant to the provisions of subsection
(1) The owner or operator of a boat shall mail or deliver to the nearest office of the department a
Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip application form provided by the Department and a $4.50
filing fee. The applicant shall provide the following information:
(A) Place, date and time of departure of the boat.
(B) Place, date and estimated time of return of the boat.
(C) Name and/or number of the boat, including the number of any Fish and Game registration
number plates assigned to the vessel.
(D) Copy of passenger manifest if fishing within 10 miles of the mainland shore of California.
(E) Date and hour Declaration mailed or delivered to the Fish and Game Department office.
(2) The Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip form must be submitted to the nearest office of
the department in order for any person aboard such boat to possess more than one bag limit of
saltwater fin fish, abalone, lobster and rock scallops. If mailed, the form must be received at least
48 hours prior to the date of the boat’s departure. If the 48-hours advance notice is not met, the
original copy of the form, signed by an authorized department representative, must be aboard
the vessel during the trip. Forms will be accepted for authorization only during business hours of
(3) A Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip may not be filed for a trip unless the trip is continuous
and extends for a period of 12 hours or more on the first and last days of the trip and no berthing
or docking is permitted within five miles of the mainland shore.
(4) The owner or operator of a boat filing a Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip shall prepare
such form in duplicate, and shall require the duplicate to be posted in full view
of the passengers aboard the boat.
(5) All passengers must disembark at place of return stated on Declaration.

uscjeffer
07-06-2007, 08:39 AM
yup it applies....

mrjonez
07-06-2007, 10:23 AM
punctuation, homes.

labboss2003
07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
got this e-mail from dfg

Hello Mr. Chadeayne,

Section 27.15, Multi-Day Fishing Trips, refers to fishing trips lasting more than one calendar day. To answer your questions,

1) ...do I have to file with the DFG for multi-day trips...

Yes. For the specifics, see Section 27.15(b)(1) through (5) on pg. 24 of the 2007 Ocean Sport Fishing regulations booklet. Your local DFG office can supply the form you need.

2) ...what is the total amount of fin fish limits we can have...

Once you've filed the Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip paperwork fulfilling all the requirements and specifications in Section 27.15(b), and have embarked on your trip, each person aboard the boat may have one daily bag and possession limit of a species of fin fish for each (at minimum)12 hours of the Trip.

For example, if you left the dock at noon on a Thursday and arrived back at noon the next day (Friday), everyone aboard the boat could legally possess two bag limits each, because you were out for 12 hours on Thursday and 12 hours on Friday. 12 hours is the minimum a boat must be out to qualify as a "day" during a Multi-Day Fishing Trip, and for possession of a daily bag limit for a given day. This scenario illustrates the bare minimum of hours that must be spent on a Trip to qualify as a Multi-Day Fishing Trip.

For another example, if you left the dock at 6 am on Thursday and arrived back at the dock at 4 pm the following Saturday, everyone aboard the boat could legally possess three fin fish bag limits each, because on each calendar day of the Trip you were out for well over the minimum 12 hours. All other provisions of Section 27.15 apply to both of these scenarios, such as the requirement that you cannot dock or land anywhere during the trip, and so on.

Three limits of any fin fish species is the most any one person can possess during a Multi-Day Fishing Trip, even if the trip extends beyond three days. And once the trip has ended, be sure that no one exits the boat with more than their Multi-Day Trip limits (for example, walking down the dock with 4 or more limits of white seabass would be illegal) once you've ended the Trip, as that's possession of more than the allowable limit and liable to result in a fine if you cross paths with a game warden.

I hope this information helps to clarify the regulations a bit! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mary Patyten

What is the total amount of fin fish limits we can have...

Section 27.15

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Mary C. Patyten
Research Writer
California Department of Fish and Game
Marine Region
19160 S. Harbor Dr.
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Office - (707) 964-5026
Cell - (707) 357-1204
mpatyten@dfg.ca.gov (mailto:mpatyten@dfg.ca.gov)

one_leg
07-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Very nice to know. I sorta recalled it being something along those lines from when we would do multiday dive trips to the islands.

One_Leg

troutdog
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Once you've filed the Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip paperwork fulfilling all the requirements and specifications in Section 27.15(b), and have embarked on your trip, each person aboard the boat may have one daily bag and possession limit of a species of fin fish for each (at minimum)12 hours of the Trip.

I wonder how many people ever file this paperwork or know it even exists :?:

TD

blackmav04
07-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Just because it is legal to keep that many Calicos dosen't mean we should. :roll: :evil:

Bowhunter
07-06-2007, 03:20 PM
What about the 10 miles and cat....It's 26 miles off...

SeaSick17
07-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Let the Calicos go man!!!!!

sansou
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM

I wonder how many people ever file this paperwork or know it even exists :?:

TD

Plenty of personal boat owners here in SD....

It's not a new law, and besides, anyone who's got enough boat and experience to go out for multiple days is also likely to have been boarded at some point in time...especially since 9/11.

SanDimasLMB
07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Im not trying to flame you but like how everyone has said, it takes almost 10yrs for a kelp(calico) bass to reach teh minimum length requirment of 12 inches. So keep what you can eat and dont slay them. Sure, you're stoked about catching all those fish but leave some for the other guy and the food chain :wink:

dschmaltz
07-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Im not trying to flame you but like how everyone has said, it takes almost 10yrs for a kelp(calico) bass to reach teh minimum length requirment of 12 inches. So keep what you can eat and dont slay them. Sure, you're stoked about catching all those fish but leave some for the other guy and the food chain :wink:

Easy, if you are going to bust the guys chops....get the facts right.....a 12" Calico is more like 5-7 years old. I personally release 90+% but I respect the guys right to catch and eat legal limits. I do think Calico should be raised to 14" and dropped to a limit of 5, but as long as he is within the legal limits, leave him alone. I have seen enough of his posts to know that he is not the problem with our ocean; lets talk about some of the deckhands that treat the fish like they are trash or some of the loosers that leave their catch at the launch ramp trash bins after they kill the fish!!!

Leave Bob Alone!!!

ThanksKK
07-06-2007, 10:12 PM
A great way to discourage people from posting fishing reports. :)

greeper
07-06-2007, 10:17 PM
who cares if he's gonna keep that many Cali's we don't want to read it... No need to keep that many, keep all the Sandi's you want... Also, Killin a Mola Mola bad bad luck.

mickeysindahouse
07-06-2007, 11:16 PM
There are regualtions and so long as you abide by them it's up to you whether you opt to C&R or keep.

Perhaps we should divide the forums into C&R & Keppers for each sub-sections. Perhaps we can call it the PETA friendly club and encourage those who don't like seeing fish kept to surf that section of the board.

C'mon guys, stop busting his chops. He fished, had fun and followed rules to the best of his knowledge.

Forums are to post your catches and encourage others to fish the secret spots or not.

Personally, I like to C&R at the beach & marinas, but if I make a trip to Catalina (moo moo cost/gas prices) then you bet your @$$ I'm keeping what I catch so long as it's within regulations.

All's I'm saying is let's promote posting, not disway it.

In the event someone catches something too short or too many, then "educate" the individual. Many fishermen unfortunately don't know all regs or have been told inacurate information, shouldn't we be helpful and help shape responsible fishermen instead of pissing them off by ranting at them?

My 2¢

booyaa 4u
07-06-2007, 11:22 PM
AND THIS IS WHY I DONT POST ABOUT KILLING FISH PEOPLE LIKE THIS WILL TELL YOU DONT KILL CALICOS BUT KILL AS MANY SANDYS AS YOU WANT. WE ALL WANT TO ***** AT EACH OTHER ABOUT KILLING FISH WHEN WE ALL KNOW THAT THE SPORTFISHERMAN ARE NOT THE PROBLEM...

JapanRon
07-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi labboss2003,

Great report thanks .... Poor little Sunfish ....... Oh well ....... as you described he or she is probably ok. Lets hope so anyways!

Glad you had a trip to remember and were willing to share.

JapanRon

plumbertom
07-07-2007, 08:20 AM
What about the 10 miles and cat....It's 26 miles off...
Besides the fact that Catalina is within L.A. County and the State of California, Ca. sportfshing regs. are applied where you come ashore.

JapanRon
07-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi dschmaltz,

Is that OUR Bob or Sponge Bob!?

On deckies ............. I agree SOME decks treat the fish like ...... well .... they don't show even a minimal respect for our fellow creatures. On the other side of the coin, to SOME deckies .... fish are just money .... that is ...... the more fish on the boat ..... on the average ..... the more money he or she makes on cleaning.

Totally agree on the limit and size thoughts but the sporties can't do business that way and survive.

BACK TO TOPIC

JapanRon

Hitts0n
07-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Keep as many fish as you wan7! It's the ocean........lol........I wouldn't explain myself to anyone.You know if you were in the right or wrong.Great day out on the salt waters ! 7hank you very much for sharing with us !! 8) I never heard of a sunfish before,bu7 great pics als0 !

SeaSick17
07-07-2007, 11:20 AM
I think some are missing the point here. If everyone goes out and has fun and keeps limits of calico for everyone on the boat, the calicos get screwed. Just because everyone else does it doesnt make it right for the next guy. We all need to stick together and help preserve the calico population. Let the cattle boats do what they are going to do but us private boaters need to take a stand and make a difference.

Hitts0n
07-07-2007, 11:21 AM

:thumb:

Bowhunter
07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
What about the 10 miles off.... the reg say 10 miles off...Not where you come ashore......We all need to be on the same page or the goody goody will take fishing away from us....

fishon714
07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
If everyone goes out and has fun and keeps limits of calico for everyone on the boat, the calicos get screwed.

You may need to write to DFG and have them change the regulation to a 1 fish limit (just like the bacaccio limit) and maybe extend the length to 14 inches. The problem with the lenght requirement is most party boats I've been on, if someone does catch a 4+ pound calico, the deckhands are the first ones to tell the person 1) how old it must be to get that size 2)he/she should throw it back 3)if the throw it back, the deckhand usually gives that person a "secret hidden" gift fish from the freezer. Sometimes this secret fish is a yellowfin tuna or even a bluefin tuna.

It's weird how the law abidding citizens get the same treatment as poachers on this board. Makes me not want to post about the 89 legal halibuts I caught the past 19 days and KEPT all of them and ate them within two weeks- legal limit is 5 per day, you do the math. What about the 85 yellowtails I caught during a 21 day stretch last year the party boats- 5 per day. Kept every single one. They were yummmmmmy. Oh, I almost forgot the 8,483 sand dabs I caught and ate last year during a 1 month stretch since there are NO LIMITS on those fish. The worst is the 300+ pounds of beef, 85 whole chickens, 25 whole pigs, 30 pounds of "mystery meat" and 1 pound of vegetables I ate last year. This is the worse since I just about annihilated a small farm :oops: . Makes me worry if the farming industry is in a state of extinction. We may need to put a limit on beef, pork, chicken, vegetable, fish and mystery meat consumption. Imagine where all these wastes end up.....yuck! Makes me not want to eat anything for the rest of my life and just die of starvation. No wonder some Hollywood celebrities and models have eating disorders. They know something we don't.

*No part of this post may be edited or used for monetary gains or propaganda.

fishoff714

troutdog
07-07-2007, 04:19 PM

A great way to discourage someone for giving their opinion

TD

xahx
07-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I fished catalina today and also came up on the over whelming amount of calicos there...

We Released alot of them but guess what????

Most of the ones we released, were INSTANTLY swallowed by Seals... lol so save the fish kill the fish... only the strong survive...

Fly Trainer
07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
don't catch your limit lets limit your catch

SanDimasLMB
07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
There are regualtions and so long as you abide by them it's up to you whether you opt to C&R or keep.

Perhaps we should divide the forums into C&R & Keppers for each sub-sections. Perhaps we can call it the PETA friendly club and encourage those who don't like seeing fish kept to surf that section of the board.

C'mon guys, stop busting his chops. He fished, had fun and followed rules to the best of his knowledge.

Forums are to post your catches and encourage others to fish the secret spots or not.

Personally, I like to C&R at the beach & marinas, but if I make a trip to Catalina (moo moo cost/gas prices) then you bet your @$$ I'm keeping what I catch so long as it's within regulations.

All's I'm saying is let's promote posting, not disway it.

In the event someone catches something too short or too many, then "educate" the individual. Many fishermen unfortunately don't know all regs or have been told inacurate information, shouldn't we be helpful and help shape responsible fishermen instead of pissing them off by ranting at them?

My 2¢

Im not forcing him to keep less calicos but I'm just trying to convince him to lower the kill count a little bit. If eveyone kept their limit of 10 calicos everyday think what that would do to their population.

Its that type of, I can take all the fish I want as long as its legal, attitude that hurts the fishing and the guy that comes to fish the spot afterwards.

mickeysindahouse
07-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I fished catalina today and also came up on the over whelming amount of calicos there...

We Released alot of them but guess what????

Most of the ones we released, were INSTANTLY swallowed by Seals... lol so save the fish kill the fish... only the strong survive...

You're so right on that. What to do?!

fishnfool
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Thats always my biggest fear ....hitting one of those Sunfish can do some damage...........Glad you came away unscathed...... :lol: