PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 11/27

Fire Ball
11-27-2009, 06:56 PM
The Lagoon looked glassy and the upper lake wasn't very bad at all in the morning. Too bad I wasn't fishing in the morning with my boat! We launched the boat after having it fixed up at a shop and the control box was messed up (not from them) so the boat wasn't working which mad me really mad. We pulled it back out of the water and then took it back to the shop to have them fix it. While they were fixing it, I had my dad drop me off at the lagoon since it looked so nice. I was fishing for about an hour and caught a nice LMB on the drop shot. The boat was fixed after that and we took it up to the upper lake and launched it at 11:30. We went around a while, but didn't catch anything and it got windy about 30 minutes after we launched. The time to be there was early this morning! Too bad! We took the boat out and then put everything in the SUV and a guy that was a guide came over and asked if we wanted some fish. He gave us a HUGE bluegill and a small striper. The bluegill weighed more than the striper, lol. We cooked the fish and ate them, but they didn't have that much flavor. Any tips on cooking fish or catching lots of striper, bluegill, or LMB at Castaic? I am only good at fishing the lagoon. :LOL:

14" LMB caught while I was waiting for the boat.
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5070/bass9.jpg

Monster bluegill that someone gave us.
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6268/bluegill1.jpg

Small striper that the same guy gave us.
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/954/striper1.jpg

SDDave
11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Here's a quick tip on cooking Fish caught at Castaic or any local pond.
First find out how many people are eating, this dictates the size of iron skillet to use.
For one person a 9 inch black iron skillet works best, first clean and season you fish to taste, you can buy fish seasonings or just make up your own.
season, dip in flour, dip in beaten egg solution, get skillet really hot , add, Crisco, lard or EVO to skillet, then throw the fillets in, cook about 2 minutes each side, cooking time depends on the thickness of the fillet. Again this method is for , hatchy trout, gils, and rat striper's.
now that the fish is cooked, get a lemon and some tarter sauce, or some honey mustard dill tasted good to, So... next step is very important....get a oven glove, pickup hot skillet, with fish still sizzling, take it over to the garbage can, toss the fish in the can, and processed to eat the skillet and all the scrapings form, again lemon and tarter to your liking.....
The point to this, the crappy fish are never going to taste like anything but the grease in the skillet, be healthy go to the market and get some fresh Salmon...

This was all done in fun and I hope it's taken that way... good job on the fish kid, stick with it, it's great reading your pots... Dave

Fire Ball
11-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Here's a quick tip on cooking Fish caught at Castaic or any local pond.
First find out how many people are eating, this dictates the size of iron skillet to use.
For one person a 9 inch black iron skillet works best, first clean and season you fish to taste, you can buy fish seasonings or just make up your own.
season, dip in flour, dip in beaten egg solution, get skillet really hot , add, Crisco, lard or EVO to skillet, then throw the fillets in, cook about 2 minutes each side, cooking time depends on the thickness of the fillet. Again this method is for , hatchy trout, gils, and rat striper's.
now that the fish is cooked, get a lemon and some tarter sauce, or some honey mustard dill tasted good to, So... next step is very important....get a oven glove, pickup hot skillet, with fish still sizzling, take it over to the garbage can, toss the fish in the can, and processed to eat the skillet and all the scrapings form, again lemon and tarter to your liking.....
The point to this, the crappy fish are never going to taste like anything but the grease in the skillet, be healthy go to the market and get some fresh Salmon...

This was all done in fun and I hope it's taken that way... good job on the fish kid, stick with it, it's great reading your pots... Dave

Thanks. So what your saying is that they will never taste good? Lol, I guess I will pass next time someone wants to give me some fish. It is too much work and there really isn't a reward. I usually only catch LMB, which I release those all so I haven't really had many freshwater fish until today.

SDDave
11-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Fireball, those striper's can taste pretty good some times, some say bluegills are tasty, I'm heading up to the lower lake tomorrow, your welcome to hope on the back if you want, can't guarantee much, just no beer or cigs, or night crawlers on my boat, don't want to get out fished...

Fire Ball
11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Fireball, those striper's can taste pretty good some times, some say bluegills are tasty, I'm heading up to the lower lake tomorrow, your welcome to hope on the back if you want, can't guarantee much, just no beer or cigs, or night crawlers on my boat, don't want to get out fished...

I would like to fish with you tomorrow (lower lake is awesome) and wouldn't have any problems with your rules because I am only 17, so none of that is legal, except the nightcrawlers. :ROFL: The only time I use nightcrawlers is when I fish for bluegill. I don't think I can get a ride tomorrow though. I don't have my drivers license yet and won't be getting it until January... :Shocked:

Ffejrobins30
11-27-2009, 10:55 PM

Don't know what time you'll be there or if I make it out, but I'll be sure to give you a wave if I'm out. There haven't been a lot of people on the lower lake, so I'm sure you'll be easy to spot

basscat
11-28-2009, 01:52 AM
Maybe that "guide" was none other T/O BoB? :Cool:

JimmyFSU
11-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Butter, Garlic salt. nuff said.

Fire Ball
11-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe that "guide" was none other T/O BoB? :Cool:

No, lol. It was the Ojai Angler or something. Not TroutOnly, I have seen T/O from a distance before.

Don't know what time you'll be there or if I make it out, but I'll be sure to give you a wave if I'm out. There haven't been a lot of people on the lower lake, so I'm sure you'll be easy to spot

There was a surprising amount of people there yesterday. I will probably be at the lagoon on Sunday.

Ffejrobins30
11-28-2009, 09:47 AM
No, lol. It was the Ojai Angler or something. Not TroutOnly, I have seen T/O from a distance before.

There was a surprising amount of people there yesterday. I will probably be at the lagoon on Sunday.

Yeah. I'm going to be out there tomorrow. I'll try to wear a shirt that you can recognize. I'll decide on it tonight and let you know. I'm going out there with a buddy from work and another guy I met on another site (I know...I'm a web whore :Secret: ) Anyway. There should be about 4 of us in our group. I'm going to shoot for some trout I think. I'm gonna start using mini-jigs. Never tried it, but new techniques are always fun to learn.

Fire Ball
11-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Yeah. I'm going to be out there tomorrow. I'll try to wear a shirt that you can recognize. I'll decide on it tonight and let you know. I'm going out there with a buddy from work and another guy I met on another site (I know...I'm a web whore :Secret: ) Anyway. There should be about 4 of us in our group. I'm going to shoot for some trout I think. I'm gonna start using mini-jigs. Never tried it, but new techniques are always fun to learn.

I will probably be with my friend from another site, my brother, and then my other friend. I don't know if I want to waste my time with the trout, lol. Trout are always fun though.