PDA

View Full Version : questions about salmon fishing in alaska

zaggededgez
07-05-2007, 10:12 PM
ok well i know this is a report section and i am asking questions but i guess its better then posting this in the so cal freshwater page

well i get the prividge of going up to alaska with my dad july 16-24 and mainly going to fish the kenai river
my dad has been a few times so he knows how to catch the salmon.
but i kinda wanted to read up on a bunch of tips and other things about fishing up there so i can get some knowlege. we are going to be fishing on the banks
i tried googlein but everyhting that pops up are guided services
so does anyone have any tips for me? or know of some good sites with lots of info
thanks a bunch

Greg Madrigal
07-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Well, I'm no expert, but as I ubderstand it, fishing for Kings from the bank is pretty useless as they will take off and you will never see them again.

You might hit another run of say, sockeye, and that will be great from the bank, tho CROWDED.

U definitely need waders and a stout rod n reel with 15-20lb test. U can use a bare hook, but a colored fly, (or a piece of bright yarn on a hook will do and those "flys" can be bought locally anywhere cheap) is better.

If you wanna know the technique, PM me your PH# cuz its easier to explain.

I fished almost 15 hours a day when I was there, and I have even thought of going back there on the cheap, staying at a hotel, and bank fishing the sockeye or silver run.

FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

GM

Gary C.
07-11-2007, 12:06 AM
I was just came back from Alaska a couple weeks ago and I saw several Kings caught from the bank on a stream called Ship Creek which was pretty much in down town Anchorage. I didn't get a chance to fish there my self and don't know what or how they were fishing. I did spend one afternoon fishing the Russian River south of Anchorage for Reds. I didn't do any good on the salmon but did manage a few very nice rainbows. We were useing spinning rods with 20lb test and what they called "Russian River flys" I saw them for sale in every store we went to in Anchorage. The price was normally .35 or 3/$100.
Gary C.

aboos
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
ok well i know this is a report section and i am asking questions but i guess its better then posting this in the so cal freshwater page

well i get the prividge of going up to alaska with my dad july 16-24 and mainly going to fish the kenai river
my dad has been a few times so he knows how to catch the salmon.
but i kinda wanted to read up on a bunch of tips and other things about fishing up there so i can get some knowlege. we are going to be fishing on the banks
i tried googlein but everyhting that pops up are guided services
so does anyone have any tips for me? or know of some good sites with lots of info
thanks a bunch

ive fished the kenai a few times in near sterling and soldotna. man youre in for a trip! awesome fishing and you get to fish for 20+ hrs if your body can handle it haha! if youre gonna be fishing from the shore..more than likely youll be going for reds (sockeyes) since they run up river near the banks. kings run down the middle but people ive heard of people catching kings from shore. pretty much youre "snagging" the reds..theyre just going up the river with theyre mouths open and you gotta get the fly in their mouth. its an odd technique of fishing but its fun. like greg said, PM me if you want a run down on everything. from gear and set ups to whatever. good luck!

zaggededgez
07-13-2007, 12:38 AM
yea i am new to the salmon.
yea i am going for the sockeye
i was thinking those were the same as kings
but i have been doing my research on all the species and
"flossing the teeth" of the sockeye
yea i got me some chest waiders and a new rod with some 20 lmb line
i dont know where exactly we are going to fish
we are just going to rent an rv and head towards the kenei river
i want to get a day of doing some trout fishing to

ryryk
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
your in for a hell of a trip.
i just got back a week ago fished in Ketchikan alaska, got a guide and he said it was his best day quantity wise. 24 fish and 1/4-1/2 of that were farmed.
biggest 12lb coho.

sandiegojoe
08-14-2007, 03:43 PM
I had a great time a couple July's back, caught a 35 pound Kenai King with a guided tour http://www.rwfishing.com , got a 70 pound halibut out of Homer too, It was an amazing trip.

can't wait to go back.