PDA

View Full Version : No Skunk for me

Ffejrobins30
11-26-2009, 06:25 PM
So, I hit Castaic lagoon this morning for some early LMB and trout fishing. I got there about 6:30. It turned out to be an awesome morning...weather wise. Got my UL in the water with a power-mouse and started out looking for some LMB action with a swim bait. Not a single nibble. After a while of no action...on either pole, I switched over to the drop-shot. STILL NOTHING!

After about an hour, slowly moving up toward the main dam, I decided that I was starting to get frustrated with no fish, so I tied on one of my jigs for some practice with my bait-caster. I got a good feel for it, since this was the first time I was really able to get out and use it during daylight hours so I could see what I was doing. By the end of a couple hours, I got a good feel for it and was getting very few backlashes with some pretty good distance under the cast. Just what I was looking for.

Eventually, I pulled my UL out of the water and switched back to the drop-shot. Old reliable at the lagoon. Even when the bite is tough, the drop-shot can usually coax out a couple good hits. To my surprise, I got nothing. The skunk was looming...I could smell it. I worked my way back to the parking lot, still sporting the drop-shot all the way. Finally I decided to swap back over to my caster and crankbait. I will not accept the skunk!

My buddy had lost a lure in the reeds a few days prior, so when I got to that patch, I cast out, pulled out the slack and bounced the tip a couple times. Nothing hit, so I decided to take a look in the reeds for the lure while I was haphazardly working the lure. All of the sudden...BENDO! It was the only fish for 6 hours.

:Pee::Skunk:

So, after all that, I only hooked 1 fish, but a slow day fishing is still better than a busy day at work.

Rabbito
11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
That lure is one of my favorites for cranking

Ffejrobins30
11-26-2009, 08:55 PM
That lure is one of my favorites for cranking

Yup...mine too. I got lucky and picked it up at Wally World as a mispriced item. I got it for $0.99. I would have gotten more of them, but it was the only one.