PDA

View Full Version : How to fish for stripers at Skinner

fishtales
11-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm thinking about going to Skinner on Monday to fish from shore for stripers. This will be my first time targeting stripers.

Any input would be appreciated. I've heard chicken livers are a good bait. What # test line? Sinkers?

Thanks,

FT

cudun
11-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm thinking about going to Skinner on Monday to fish from shore for stripers. This will be my first time targeting stripers.

Any input would be appreciated. I've heard chicken livers are a good bait. What # test line? Sinkers?

Thanks,

FT

Fishtales,
If you really want make your effort worthwhile, do yourself a favor and rent a boat. It is not as good as your own boat since you still don't have a fish finder but a lot better than fishing from shore. You can fish the inlet and other places inaccessible on foot. Fresh dead sardine is best if you don't like to troll. Do not use anything more than 6lbs test. Fluorcarbon is even better. You don't need sinkers. If it's really windy, put on a split shot.
By all means go as often as you can. It takes my buddies and I countless trips to get the lake all figured out. Now every time we go, more often than not, limit out is the name of the game for us. Good luck.

Yellow Dog
11-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Skinner is a very hard lake to figure out. I have been going for about 10 years and have had fantastic days and terrible days. Absolutely rent a boat, it will increase your understanding of the lake and also increase your chances of catching fish. The main areas to fish are the inlet, east end, and ramp 2. Look for points or other places that stripers can ambush fish. In my opinion, chicken liver is by far the best bait. The trick is to bring sewing thread to tie the chicken liver on to your hook. A few years back on of the regulars was called chicken liver Al, and he owned that lake. If you like lures, rattle traps, husky jerks, rapala sink baits, and swim baits are all very productive. The problem with lures is there is a good chance you will loose them if you fish from shore due to all the rocky snags. Top water also seems to work very good if you fish it real slow. Good Luck!

fishtales
11-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm not up for solo renting a boat this week. Thanks for the info! I may go to Perris instead and look for blue gill.

If anyone would be interested in sharing the expense on a rental boat or private boat, please let me know.

FT

Pnutty
11-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Great Info... Anybody know what time they open the park? No recorded info one thier phones

yakker
11-28-2009, 04:28 PM
chicken liver can be a tough bait to use, you might leave them out in the sun for a while and let them dry out just enough. they'll stay on the hook better.