PDA

View Full Version : Success in Coachella Canal!

H20Rusty
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Headed out to a spot on the Coachella canal Wednesday morning. Beautiful day, great water. Man the water was clear! I didn't know what the bottom looked like. I assumed it was flat but it's just like a river bottom with rocks and structure all over the place. It was like looking through glass.

Total for the day, 1 striper and 1 smallie. Both released. Cell phone cameras don't do that fish justice. It's not a dink! I just have really long arms! Who cares... I caught a fish, and I didn't have to drive 100 miles.

The smallie was unintentionally released--dropped before it could be photographed. There were many fish on the move. I had 4-5 hits in 2 hours and a couple trailers following all the way to the bank. Mostly stripers.

Both caught on blue lipless cranks. Let 'em sink. The fish are deep and will hit only if it is on the plane in front of them.

After seeing all those rocks, it makes me think that there may be crayfish down there for those smallies to feed on. Maybe I'll try a crawfish immitation next time. I'm even thinking about a trap or two in a couple of different locations just to see of there are any there. Smallmouth + rocks = crawdads. I'm looking for more baits to fish in the canal.

Dalizzy07
11-25-2009, 04:44 PM
nice report keep the pics coming, how far is that from indio ca?

H20Rusty
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
nice report keep the pics coming, how far is that from indio ca?

Not sure the exact distance but around 20 miles south of Indio. Doesn't really matter though, because with the water as clear as it was, you can see fish everywhere. Trouble is, they can see you too and the banks are high so they can see you comming for several feet. I stopped at a place on the canal in town and it was the same. The fish are all over holding on anything that will break the current. A bend, siphon, etc.

El Weirdo
11-26-2009, 12:00 PM
good the see the concrete river still producing..it's has been a while last i fished it...way to go on the jailbird and the smallie...when the water is that clear it is fun to spot and stalk the fish..

H20Rusty
11-28-2009, 05:27 PM
good the see the concrete river still producing..it's has been a while last i fished it...way to go on the jailbird and the smallie...when the water is that clear it is fun to spot and stalk the fish..

Anybody ever tried crayfish immitations? I was just out there again this afternoon trying small crayfish immitations. Only had one smallmouth chaser. I'll keep at it.

P1M
11-29-2009, 05:40 AM
Gee thats funny I saw you yesterday put your gear in your truck and you where gone before I could ask where you were going. Guess I know now.

El Weirdo
11-29-2009, 11:35 AM
h20: when i used to fish the canal..i used to use river to sea yabbie craw and had very good success with them...

Bird dog
12-18-2009, 11:21 AM
What is the situation there now? I have heard that citations have been written for diving the canal road, as well as fences lining it to limit access.

H20Rusty
12-21-2009, 09:18 AM
What is the situation there now? I have heard that citations have been written for diving the canal road, as well as fences lining it to limit access.

I've heard the same thing but never had any problems. My understanding is that it is against California law to block any fishable waterway that goes through public land. Some of the areas are fenced off close to civilization probably because CVWD doesn't want to deal with the liability of drowing swimmers, etc. However, much of the canal is not fenced off and there are many cars that drive the road. There are also several roads that run next to the road that are public, so worst case scenario, park and walk 100 feet.

Bird dog
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Good to know.Thanks.

Catrack77
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=H20Rusty;415874]I've heard the same thing but never had any