PDA

View Full Version : Smitty's Book Release 11/24 & FNN Discount!

Sierra_Smitty
11-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Well my friends - the day has finally arrived. I have about 1000 copies of my book, "Fishin Trails - 25 Short Hikes for Eastern Sierra Wild Trout" in my possession which means its finally, officially, for sale. It's been a long time coming, but dang does it feel good to hold it in my hands. I must admit, it turned out better than I ever imagined.

Anyhow, because the folks at FNN have been so supportive, of not only this project but of Parchers/South Lake over the past few years, I'm offering the book to all members for 20% off the cover price through the end of 2009. There is a coupon code that must be entered before checkout at the online store - that coupon code is TEAM57 - and will give you the discount. That discount is only available via the Parchers website and only available for those of you that read this post.

For those folks that don't do the online buying thing, the book will also be available at some retail locations (full cover price) in OC and Inyo county in the next week, and hopefully LA, SD and Ventura counties very shortly. Keep an eye on http://easternsierraangler.com/ for updates on retail locations.

Edit - Fishermans Access in Brea got them in today (Tuesday). Longfin will have them tomorrow (Wed).

I'm mailing out the first 10 books today so those of you who pre-ordered and have already sent payment, you'll be seeing them in the post very soon!

Thanks everybody!!!!
Smitty aka Jared Smith - Parchers Resort/South Lake Landing

Parchers Online Store - http://www.parchersresort.net/onlinestore.htm

http://easternsierraangler.com/Fishin%20Trails/Fishin-Trails-front-cover-44.jpg

Sue
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Woowoooo! Can't wait to receive mine!

Granny Fish
11-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Congrats on the book publishing once again. Just submitted my order and can't wait to get it.

Koshaw
11-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Congrats! Dont forget to bring a bunch to the Fred Hall Show and also keep em up at Parcher's :D

Troutman65
11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Congrats Jared. I'll be picking mine up at the Long Fin next week.

troutdog
11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Looking forward to picking up a copy, congratulations on the completion of your book....that is an awesome accomplishment Smitty:Thumbs Up:

TD

bergie berg
11-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I may have just found my old man's christmas present...

olfishergal
11-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I bought (3) and they're on their way....Great X-mas gift....thanks smitty

Beancounter
11-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Can't wait to check it out.
Thanks Smitty, and congratulations on your accomplishment.
This will be a great Christmas gift to myself...:-)

rotto84
11-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I ordered my book this morning, I can't wait.

Congratulations on finishing the book and I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

xtranzman
11-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Hell yes! Ordered and waiting. Can't wait!

X

teejay
11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I found my preordered book waiting in the mailbox for me when I got home last night. At this point, I’ve only skimmed through it but my first impression of it is a thumbs- up.

jeff4321
11-29-2009, 11:10 AM
HELLL YA! save me one!

Rubble
11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
My wife got me one for X-Mas.......,I just paid for it.....:ROFL:

I can't wait to get it....:Bug Eyes:

bstolton
11-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Recieved my books, got a couple of extras for xmas gifts. The book is awesome, can`t wait to explore some of the locations next year. Don`t miss out on a well done book, order yours today! Great job Jared.

Thanks Bill

Sue
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Fishing Trails by Jared Smith; 25 Short Hikes For Eastern Sierra Wild Trout.

Fellow anglers, I implore you to read this book. Whether you're in the California area or not, it doesn't matter. The introduction alone will make you want to continue reading the rest of it......the prose takes you right there to the Sierra Mo...untains, and you can imagine you're there with Jared while he's hiking up there and catching his trout.

Jared is an awesome guy, and published this book independently. My mission, my dears, is to get it out there. All you Brits - go buy it just so that you can see how different fishing is here than is to back home. Those of you in-state or in the USA, buy it, and I'd better see you up there next year!

Jared and his family has been a major influence on me, and have helped me hone my fishing techniques to the point where I'm known as the FishBitch!
It really is an awesome read, and I can't wait to do some of those hikes next year!

olfishergal
12-01-2009, 10:40 PM
got my books, they are fantastic, one for me and two for gifts.......Love um great info and memories seeing all the wonderful pics.....I love it....Boys and girls, order one for yourself, you won't be disappointed...OFG

Sierra_Smitty
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
For those interested - Ernie Cowan of the North County Times in San Diego did a review of my book.

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/columnists/cowan/article_f20c8518-d22c-5a0f-a7d9-92a8b3d3d328.html

Regards,
Smitty

jim532
12-03-2009, 09:39 AM
still waiting for mine, can harldy wait.
reading the review made me crave even more.
I wanna go up to the Sierras so bad right now, but it's too cold.

shinbob
12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Just got mine today -- thanks for the quick shipping! A great book to read in the off-season, lots of wonderful pictures. And you have one of my favorite hikes ever! (Bennettville)

rotto84
12-04-2009, 08:59 PM
My book arrived right away, and I read it that night.

The book was fantastic!

I can't wait until I can try these spots out.

Thanks!

Rubble
12-04-2009, 09:58 PM
My wife got me one for X-Mas.......,I just paid for it.....:ROFL:

I can't wait to get it....:Bug Eyes:

Hey Smitty......,got mine today.....read it cover to cover before the wifey wrapped it.....:LOL:
Great Book...!!!
Only problem is you FORGOT TO SIGN IT!!!:ROFL:

Thanks for a great read & some new places for me & the bro's to try every year.....

Sierra_Smitty
12-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey Smitty......,got mine today.....read it cover to cover before the wifey wrapped it.....:LOL:
Great Book...!!!
Only problem is you FORGOT TO SIGN IT!!!:ROFL:

Thanks for a great read & some new places for me & the bro's to try every year.....

Dude - are you serious? I thought I'd signed them all....I'm a dork!!! hahaha!!!

If you plan on being at the Del Mar or Long Beach FH show - bring it and I'll sign it there. Sorry about that man.

I'm stoked that you and the rest of the folks have enjoyed the book thus far.....

peace,
smitty

Joshua
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Dude - are you serious? I thought I'd signed them all....I'm a dork!!! hahaha!!!

If you plan on being at the Del Mar or Long Beach FH show - bring it and I'll sign it there. Sorry about that man.

I'm stoked that you and the rest of the folks have enjoyed the book thus far.....

peace,
smitty
Got my signed copy. Looked at a couple fotos, Will start to read it this week. My copy was signed I was surprised to find the enclosed glamour fotos. What the heck was that??? :Secret: :EyePop:

fishtacomag
12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
got mine today. Thanks for kind words in your preface and thanks for using my review on your back cover. I hope my name on the back cover does not HURT your sales LOL.
Great book Smitty--waiting for Volume ll in a few years.
shawn

tpfishnfool
12-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Any Retail listings yet ?

Sierra_Smitty
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Any Retail listings yet ?

I have it at Fisherman's Access in Brea and The Longfin in Orange. Pat's Bait & Tackle in Vista just picked it up also but it won't be to their store until early next week. The Bishop Chamber of Commerce and Spellbinder Books in Bishop will also have it.

I don't have any hookups in the LA area but if anyone has a local shop they'd like to see carry it, ask your local tackle retailer about it and have them call me if they're interested as I do sell them wholesale.

I will likely get with a distributor in the spring - but not until a few more reviews come out about it.

Thanks guys & gals!
Smitty

Fisherman57
12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I have it at Fisherman's Access in Brea and The Longfin in Orange. Pat's Bait & Tackle in Vista just picked it up also but it won't be to their store until early next week. The Bishop Chamber of Commerce and Spellbinder Books in Bishop will also have it.

I don't have any hookups in the LA area but if anyone has a local shop they'd like to see carry it, ask your local tackle retailer about it and have them call me if they're interested as I do sell them wholesale.

I will likely get with a distributor in the spring - but not until a few more reviews come out about it.

Thanks guys & gals!
Smitty

C'mon Jared........ where's MY plug! :ROFL:J/K! LOL!

It's also available on the TEAM 57 website:
http://www.team57fishing.com/store.html

Sierra_Smitty
12-10-2009, 04:59 PM
C'mon Jared........ where's MY plug! :ROFL:J/K! LOL!

It's also available on the TEAM 57 website:
http://www.team57fishing.com/store.html

Ha! Thought I wasn't supposed to ruin the surprise? lol!

Crawler
12-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Got my signed copy last week and promptly read it. Thanks Smitty! I really like how it read. I really liked the detail about exactly where/what to fish at each lake. I am exited to try some of these lakes out, as I have been to seven of the lakes outlined in this book and everything Smitty says about them holds true to what I have found as well.

There was one thing I read that didn't seem right though. The book shows the Grass lake hike at 300' elevation gain. It also shows McCleod at 300' elevation gain. My Tom Harrison maps show the Grass lake trail having 610' elevation gain from the trailhead to the Lamarck lakes turn off. Harrison also shows McCleod at around 300' elevation gain. Grass is at least twice the hike that McCloud is from my experiences. I would be interested to learn how you came to the 300' figure.

For anyone reading this that has not ordered this book yet, DO IT! You will not be disappointed!!! :Big Grin:

Sierra_Smitty
12-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Got my signed copy last week and promptly read it. Thanks Smitty! I really like how it read. I really liked the detail about exactly where/what to fish at each lake. I am exited to try some of these lakes out, as I have been to seven of the lakes outlined in this book and everything Smitty says about them holds true to what I have found as well.

There was one thing I read that didn't seem right though. The book shows the Grass lake hike at 300' elevation gain. It also shows McCleod at 300' elevation gain. My Tom Harrison maps show the Grass lake trail having 610' elevation gain from the trailhead to the Lamarck lakes turn off. Harrison also shows McCleod at around 300' elevation gain. Grass is at least twice the hike that McCloud is from my experiences. I would be interested to learn how you came to the 300' figure.

For anyone reading this that has not ordered this book yet, DO IT! You will not be disappointed!!! :Big Grin:

Glad you liked the book Crawler!

The elevation numbers were compiled using a combination of Topo software program data, maps, USFS hiking sheets, GPS and anything else I could get my hands on but in some cases the numbers didn't match up....so I consider the elevation numbers to be ballpark figures, although quite accurate. Having said that, Grass should be about 500ft - and is thus far the lone typo in the book. Somewhat embarrassing seeing as its in the first lake in the book. Somehow during editing it was changed and I didn't catch it before it was off to the printer (in other words, too late). In any case, its an extremely easy hike and one of the easiest in the book.....albeit twice as far (distance) as Mcleod.

While we're talking about Grass - have you been up the back way (up the outlet stream)? In my opinion its the best way to go, although seeing as it isn't the "official" trail, I felt it wrong to include that path in my book. More shade and the stream to fish along the way....love that route!

Crawler
12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Glad you liked the book Crawler!

The elevation numbers were compiled using a combination of Topo software program data, maps, USFS hiking sheets, GPS and anything else I could get my hands on but in some cases the numbers didn't match up....so I consider the elevation numbers to be ballpark figures, although quite accurate. Having said that, Grass should be about 500ft - and is thus far the lone typo in the book. Somewhat embarrassing seeing as its in the first lake in the book. Somehow during editing it was changed and I didn't catch it before it was off to the printer (in other words, too late). In any case, its an extremely easy hike and one of the easiest in the book.....albeit twice as far (distance) as Mcleod.

While we're talking about Grass - have you been up the back way (up the outlet stream)? In my opinion its the best way to go, although seeing as it isn't the "official" trail, I felt it wrong to include that path in my book. More shade and the stream to fish along the way....love that route!

I have never been up the back way. I had heard there was a trail though. Where exactly does it start? Right where the stream crosses the road? There is also an old trail coming in from the north side of Sabrina. You can see the switchbacks from the Sabrina side. I have never investigated it though.

Grass lake is THE lake to take a beginner to. I brought my friend Steve up there in 2007 for his time fishing since he was a kid. Hooked him for life. He has been at my side on almost every sierra trip I have made since then. :Cool:

Sierra_Smitty
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
I have never been up the back way. I had heard there was a trail though. Where exactly does it start? Right where the stream crosses the road? There is also an old trail coming in from the north side of Sabrina. You can see the switchbacks from the Sabrina side. I have never investigated it though.

Grass lake is THE lake to take a beginner to. I brought my friend Steve up there in 2007 for his time fishing since he was a kid. Hooked him for life. He has been at my side on almost every sierra trip I have made since then. :Cool:

Yup, you guessed it. The trail starts on your left just before you cross the creek. You switchback up for the first 1/4 mile and then its a beautiful shaded trail along the creek the rest of the way. Its spectacular. I totally agree with you about it being the perfect beginner lake...the Brookies are thick and extremely aggressive.

deanhall32
12-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Are the Gaylor Lakes(spelling?) in your new book?

Sierra_Smitty
12-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Are the Gaylor Lakes(spelling?) in your new book?

They are not.....but perhaps in the sequel.

Wingnut
12-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Ha ha, I got my personally autographed copy today from Santa... very cool Jared. :Cool: Great book, congrats! :Big Grin:

Greg Madrigal
01-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Jared, I p/u my book at the L. Fin and man, IT IS AWESOME! You're a great writer, who knew?! :)

Guys, I HIGHLY recommend this book. I unfortunantely gave it way as a Xmas present, tho under one caveat- I get it back to read for summer! :)

I love the part on "that guy" _Great way to talk about back country etiquette.

GM<><

pc2mac
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Nice cover, where was it taken? I'll definitely be ordering a copy before I head up to the Sierra's this year!

Pete

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/view/157970/27/

“Fishin’ Trails 25 Short Hikes for Eastern Sierra Wild Trout” by Jared Smith (Emerick Publishing Co. 99 pp. paperback, $24.95) is a field guide that is pretty enough for the coffee table.
Smith grew up in Southern California, but through trips to the Eastern Sierra with his parents, his heart was in the back country. In 2005 his family purchased Parcher’s Resort in the Bishop Creek Canyon, and he has been the resident manager ever since.
The book is a bit of a primer on basic fishing techniques, but that isn’t what makes this book so attractive to a back country novice. He details with maps day hikes into Bishop Creek, Rock Creek, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Tioga Pass and Virginia Lakes areas.
People who’ve been there testify the trail maps are accurate, and the photography is spectacular – especially because when you arrive at, say, Cascade Lake, you’ll know you’re there because that’s the picture in the book!
Anyone who has any experience packing a float tube into the back country – any back country – knows that without accurate directions, the chance of an enjoyable day are diminished by a significant factor.
Smith’s descriptions of angling techniques and baits are well-structured, and his commentary on acceptable back country behavior is well informed. And though he is a self-described “fishoholic” his own photos live up to his admonition that on these hikes a camera is every bit as vital as the pole.
This book is a great introduction to fishing foot-access water in the Eastern Sierra. The only thing that would have made it handier as a field guide would be if the maps that introduce each area would have been reprinted in miniature on each lake’s cover page so out in the field one wouldn’t have to keep flipping pages to keep one’s bearings.
But that improvement would be incremental on an otherwise valuable tool.

Dave Balcom is publisher of the Mammoth Times and the Inyo Register, and in the spirit of transparency , you should know he is cited by Father Karelius in his “permissions” page. Also, he’ll value Jared’s book next summer when he makes his initial forays for back country trout.

CHUCKY
01-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Just got my copy,and the book is awesome.I had no idea how close all those lakes are to hike to.Thank you and i cant wait for summer.

goodlife
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Just want to mention, you are the man'....making a trip up in March, i usually stick to local spots but this book opened up options, i have heard of locations but never really seen then, but you including some pix man thats like looking at a menu with pictures for every item... i hope i dont get lost.....i mean in the book that is.
Thanks

JAG107
02-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Jared,
Thanks so much for writing this incredible book. The info you gave will provide us with countless years of great trouting for sure. I can't wait to go exploring this summer!

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Thank you guys so much for the feedback - I'm really very happy that everyone is enjoying it so far. Thanks again!

capt.hook
02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
jared will you have some copies at the fred hall show in long beach. i would like to buy one.

Sierra_Smitty
02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Yup - I surely will. :)