PDA

View Full Version : DVL question-no report

Bird dog
11-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry if this isn't the place,but my question is regarding shore fishing.Is there much area at the lake for Bass fishing from shore & if so is it productive this time of year? Thanks for any info.

samgann93
11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
small fluke with a scrounger head will catch stripers... largies... and the occasional trou.t

Nessie Hunter
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
They opened a lot more Shore area when the Launch ramp closed down..
Not bad fishing, lot of walking though and rough terrain....
East Dam, and much more, now open to shore fishing....

Not sure if it will stay open when the launch opens back up???

jmp_fishinn
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
mmm east dam would be your best bet.

good luck!

Bird dog
11-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys.Much appreciated.

Matt_Magnone
11-25-2009, 12:01 AM
the shore bite is extremely well year round. like in a boat, you just have to find where the fish are positioned in relation to structure and or bait. being without electronics, let the fish tell you what they want. if you're not getting bit, you're not listening. say you're getting follows but they aren't committing. pay careful attention to what angles the fish are coming from. if you have bass coming straight up from the bottom its a safe assumption bass are positioned on key ambush spots on or around structure. if you get fish b-lining your bait from the side its safe to say the fish are on the bank or suspending. there are always exceptions to the rule but remember, fish dont have hands and no means to communicate so its critical you pay careful attention to these little clues. every bite or every follow is a piece of a puzzle. dissect each piece to put together your overal picture.

just remember, if you're fishing structure on or near the bottom, start fishing deep first then work shallower.

if you have any questions about the bite or want a few extra pieces to the puzzle, stiop by the shop and i'll be more than happy to get you rolling. with rising water, things are starting to change.

bstolton
11-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Like Birddog I have never been to DVL, thinking about going this friday or sat and wondering how far the hike is and where is a good area for trout fishing. I don`t want to bring to much stuff if I am going to have to walk a couple of miles. Should I keep it simple, no chairs, no cooler etc. Any tips on what works there for trout, PB colors, nightcrawlers or thomas bouyants, spinners etc.

Thanks Bill

TrouTracker
11-26-2009, 11:05 AM
To Bill- If you're going for stockers, you've picked the perfect time to go to the Jewel. They just stocked on Wednesday. By Friday, the newly stocked trout will be acclimated to the water and on the chew. DVL used to have a gigantic area to the east side for hiking/fishing. But, they closed off a pretty good section. It's a little steep hiking so be a little careful. As you mentioned, don't carry anything heavy or cumbersome. As for the types of baits to use, check out the dvmarina.com website. They have a pretty detailed fishing report. Good luck and don't catch a turkey.......
Barry A. Ogawa

Nessie Hunter
11-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Like Birddog I have never been to DVL, thinking about going this friday or sat and wondering how far the hike is and where is a good area for trout fishing. I don`t want to bring to much stuff if I am going to have to walk a couple of miles. Should I keep it simple, no chairs, no cooler etc. Any tips on what works there for trout, PB colors, nightcrawlers or thomas bouyants, spinners etc.

Thanks Bill

The hike is in MILES, depending on how far you want to go..
Further the better if Bass fishing...
Trout, maybe 100 yrds??? to open fishing area...
Then as far as you want to go, to end of open shore area..
Used to be just 3 miles of North Shore. Now it extends to South shore, including East Dam..

The road is there, but with water level down so far, the hike to waters edge is a tough one, steep and rocky with some brush Etc....
Spring & Summer Snakes make a showing also...
Most just carry a back pack and maybe two rigs.. A lot depends on what condition your in..
Good shoes/boots is recommended, brush guard pants (cool enough now).

The DVL Dash !!! :ROFL:
Running to the spots from parking lot..

Some also take a bike to ride over to their Fav spots..

I dont think you can fish the Marina cove???
Could be wrong on that?? I have seen people doing it....

eddiefishtaco
11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Some of my biggest fish came right next to the docks, shore fishing..
a 21 # striper some LM bass and nice size trout
that is the area the boats can not fish, so they can't spook the fish
but going up the ramp is hell ...:Sad:

Bird dog
12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Are the LMB close enough to shore in winter or too far out? Thanks