PDA

View Full Version : easy pickens at Lake Mission Viejo

DaBasser
11-22-2009, 07:44 PM
I went to the trout opener on Saturday with my friends family and had a great time. After a 2 hour boat ride, we started fishing at about 12:00. It was my friend and I and his two young daughters(3 and 5 yrs old). Now this was the first time we fished here so we did not no what to expect, but noticed a lot of stringers with fish on them. We decided to sart with renting a boat and noticed that the majority of boaters were lined up parallel to the shore fishermen. We started to fish just behind the other boaters. I provided all the fishing gear and setuped the rods with a Carolina rig with a #12 treble hooks. I had a variety of Powerbait so thats what we started with. As I was lowering the anchor the rope tangled so the anchor was not reaching the bottom. After a short time trying to untangle the rope, I told my friend we had to move closer to shore. We ended up moving in line with the other boats just past the fense on the shore and the anchor hit bottom. We preceded to cast in towards the shore as the other boaters we saw did. After about three casts I had my first bite seconds after hitting the water...FISH ON. I was using 2lb test so I fought the trout gingerly. Now the one thing I don't own is net and it proved alittle difficult to land the trout but with a slight struggle I landed my first trout of the year. To make a long story shorter, after 2 hours in the boat, I caught 3, my friend's 5 yr. old caught her 1st fish ever(trout), and my friend and his 3 yr. old was skunked. We then moved to the shore to fish where I caught 2 more on PB and 3 on a green roostertail. My friend's niece caught 2 trout. It was her first fish ever too. My friend he got skunked and I do'nt know why because he was using the same setup as me. People were bringing them in left and right. Some were trying to give fish away so they can continue fishing. The lake has a limit of 4 fish and you had to keep the trout. The trout were being caught on practically anything. The ones I noticed was: nightcrawlers; pink, orange, chartruese, rainbow PB; Roostertails, Tomas Boyant, mini-jigs. The next stocking will be Dec. 3rd. but fishing will be closed until Dec. 5th. I'll see you there. Don't forget your net and your filet knife lol.

BigBass777
11-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I was there too with 2 friends. We cruised the entire lake and the fish were mainly all over on the right side of the lake in water 10ft or less. We saw 4 bass cruising to try and find a trout to eat. Each bass was easily 10-13lbs. One kayaker saw a bass with a huge belly that must of had 2 or 3 trout in it's stomach. My one friend tried a trout swimbait with no chasers or anything.

We saw some fish schooling by the docks on the other side of the lake by the main swimbeach. We mostly tossed mini jigs and could not get bit on any (iron lure) like a kastmaster or crocodile lure. We trolled Rapalas with no love. We limited out easily with mini jigs up against the condo wall past the small swimbeach. This was my first time throwing mini jigs for most of the morning. It's a LOTTA work and it takes extreme patience. I can toss many lures for fishing but the mini jig is not one of them. None of our fish topped 2lbs but it was fun. This year seemed to have half of the anglers that we had last year.

Troutman65
11-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Nice going on the trout. Hope to get out to that lake one of these days . Thanks for posting up :Cool:

dodgers91485
11-23-2009, 12:52 AM
how long of a leader did you use for the carolina rig? i used like a 3 foot leader because the moss/algae was still very thick on the bottom. even with that, it still feels like it gets caught up in all that stufff.

bigd87
11-23-2009, 01:52 AM
How much does it cost to get in? and do u need a license here? I've been on their web page but I'm a little confused.

dodgers91485
11-23-2009, 10:27 AM
you need to have membership to gain access into the lake.. if you know a member it is 10 bucks

Nessie Hunter
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM
How much does it cost to get in? and do u need a license here? I've been on their web page but I'm a little confused.

Residents and Guests ONLY! ! Private Lake.......

DaBasser
11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Dodger, I was using about a 18" leader. I brought up some weeds too, but mostly on my egg sinker and not on my treble. I used a very small sinker and it didn't get caught up much because it didn't penetrate through the weeds. The trout we hitting after seconds after my line went into the water, so that helped too. I noticed that I was getting caught up more when I was fishing from shore. I guess it was the angle of retrieve that made the difference.

Yeah, if you know someone who is a resident, it's a affordable place to fish. $10 to get in and only $5/hr to rent a boat. You can easily fish from shore, if there's room and catch a limit.

Fisherman57
11-23-2009, 09:03 PM
SWEET!

A good friend of mine finally invited me to come fish LMV......... I can't wait!..... :Envious:

Hopefully, I'll be posting a full report w/ pics later this season!

Thanks for sharing!

dodgers91485
11-23-2009, 10:16 PM
thanks Basser..ill have to try that out sometime.

yesterday night and tonight action was kinda slow. still trout to be had though.

fisherman..if you see an asian guy in a LA hat, say whatsup!

Liteliner
11-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Fished it for 3 hour yesterday. The fishing was to easy. We saw a huge school of 500+ trout in Market Cove. We limited out in less than 30 minutes with most trout over 2#'s. Powerbait was instant. I stuck with the jigs to keep it interesting. Spent the rest of the time trying to get one of those monster bass to take the BBZ.. Had one follow but not commit. I love this lake.
Size 10 shoe for size comparison.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/mvl.jpg

troutdog
11-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice looking limit Peter...see you out there soon!

TD

bsp
11-24-2009, 10:40 AM
One day I will fish that lake.... probably...:ROFL:

Nah, you guys enjoy it. I'm envious but nobody ever gets to fish all the spots. Killer slay jobs on the trout. Keep the reports coming!

One thing I do want to see though is somebody on FNN taking the time to toss swimbaits there for a few weeks. I'm not a swimbait expert by any means, but I can definitely point you guys in the right direction if you are interested. Post up some DD bass pics!

Bradakas
11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
nice stringer man!! looks like they planted nice quality fish.

goodguy
11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
One day I will fish that lake.... probably...:ROFL:

Nah, you guys enjoy it. I'm envious but nobody ever gets to fish all the spots. Killer slay jobs on the trout. Keep the reports coming!

One thing I do want to see though is somebody on FNN taking the time to toss swimbaits there for a few weeks. I'm not a swimbait expert by any means, but I can definitely point you guys in the right direction if you are interested. Post up some DD bass pics!

I think the main issue with swimbaits at LMV is the water clarity. The lake is so incredibly clear.. From what I hear you can get followers but it's tough to get them to strike...