PDA

View Full Version : New to Boat Fishing

Boater13
11-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I was always used to shore fishing but i recently got new boat :Big Grin: and have used it quite a few times for bass but i love trout fishing.

I came last week to irvine and caught my limit with stocker sized fish and a nice 3 pounder but would like to try fishing from my boat.

I've heard still fishing it working well but trolling has been key to earning your limit. I have all the right poles and line and lures but im new to trolling...if anyone has tips on how to troll it would be greatly appreciated, (how much line to let out, best spots at the lake, etc.)

Thank You

Troutman65
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
If you post up in the Fishing Rendezvous Section of the boards that you want someone to go fishing with you to show you the ropes in trolling for trout , you may get lucky in finding someone who will teach you . Good luck

Big Daddy
11-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Boater 13, trolling is pretty basic the best advice I could give you is put your line out about 100' to 125' (shorter or a little longer) expiriment a little. Try not to troll in a straight line zig zag kind of slow this will raise 1 bait and lower the other also if you can follow someone as the are trolling (from a distance of coarse) but try to mimick there speed. if you see someone staying in 1 area alot there usually on the fish always mental notes, and ask people how they are doing as you go by them and what they are using. Most will tell you and then again some will lie up 1 side and down the other but most are pretty eager to help. Irvine lake anglers are pretty good people overall what kind of boat do you have and when will you be out there next time. Hope to meet you someday. Tight lines My friend.

dixoncider
11-22-2009, 05:23 PM
The trout do like the slow troll.. 1 or 2 knots, some boats go to fast even at and idle..Get yourself a few CD rapala's and few Thomas Boyant spoons and your off and trolling. Lately anywhere on the lake has had bitters..of course there are many variations and fine tunings to be done.

Boater13
11-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Thank You guys for your help, the boat i just got is a bass tracker pro guide v-16 and i'm thinking to go out on the lake with my buddy and friend this Fri. or sat.

Big Daddy
11-22-2009, 05:41 PM
I may see you there if I go I will post or try to PM you and if i can help in any way I would be glad to.

Boater13
11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
That would be great...do you also have a boat and are a regulare there?