PDA

View Full Version : CF numbers and potoons

troutnkim
11-21-2009, 11:13 AM
SO my husband and I bought twoo fish cat pontons. We went to DMV and got cfs numbers for them. Do we have to show both the hull cf number and the other cf number listed on the registration?

ANy suggestions on the best way to show the CF number would also be greatly appreciated.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
11-21-2009, 12:55 PM
On all watercraft bearing CF numbers, the CF number listed on the registration is listed under VESSEL NUMBER on the top right side of the registration form, and should be on the craft along side the sticker. There should be only one CF number on the registration. It's just that the Coast Guard or any law enforcement officials need to be able to match CF numbers with DMV vessel sticker numbers to prove it is currently registered.....just like a car. You'll also need to carry your registration Certificate on the craft.
Mounting the CF numbers to the craft can be easy, by making up a plexiglass plate with the numbers and sticker painted and attached to it and mounted with a couple old style shower curtain rings to the frame or D rings. I went to a mall and got my numbers made up like a sticker and attached them to my canoe. You can get whatever color and style font you want that way. Hope this helps.
TTFM

troutnkim
11-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. It worked out great.

fishmounter
11-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Why did you guys feel the need to register your pontoons? Last I knew, CF numbers are not required for small vessels unless you plan on putting a motor on them. Now you will have to pay DMV fees every year in order to get your yearly sticker.

Fire Ball
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Why did you guys feel the need to register your pontoons? Last I knew, CF numbers are not required for small vessels unless you plan on putting a motor on them. Now you will have to pay DMV fees every year in order to get your yearly sticker.

Ya, as long as you don't have a trolling motor or anything on your pontoon, it does not need to be registered.

troutnkim
11-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, I guess I forgot to state the obvious..we do have trolling motors for our pontoons.

fishmounter
11-25-2009, 09:33 PM
OK! Cool! Sounds like a couple of sweet rigs. You guys have fun!

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
11-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, and I have an electric trolling motor I sometimes use on the canoe, and what's a whole $20.00 every two years? :P