PDA

View Full Version : Mono or Floro

Browntrouter
11-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Just picked up a new Abu Garcia Revo SX and a 7'3" MH Vendetta rod. Feels so sweet. I haven't decided whether to use 12lb or 14lb mono or pay the price for florocarbon. Any sugestions?

Cangler
11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Fireline crystal

DarkShadow
11-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Depends what presentations you will be using

Fire Ball
11-20-2009, 05:37 PM
For most things, I would recommend flouro, but we really need to know what you are going to be using it for. Nice combo though. Revo's are awesome and the Vendetta looks really awesome. How do you like the rod? I'm thinking of getting one.

That Dang Guy
11-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Fluoro is pretty hard to beat. The only time i'd consider mono is topwater or subsurface baits.

calico killer kevin
11-20-2009, 10:16 PM
First off, very nice choice of combo. Seems like an "all around setup". If so, I'd recommend Seaguar InvisX in 10lb.

I've grown to like all things Sufix. Their mono, fluoro, and deep cranking(OMG). Izorline XXX and Platinum are nice as well. Seaguar InvisX fluoro is my favorite though.

But as already stated, please let us know what you intend on doing.

Browntrouter
11-21-2009, 08:56 AM
For most things, I would recommend flouro, but we really need to know what you are going to be using it for. Nice combo though. Revo's are awesome and the Vendetta looks really awesome. How do you like the rod? I'm thinking of getting one.

I'm setting the rod up for crankbaits. The rod blank looks and feels alot like my G. Loomis rods. I ended up putting #12 Trilene 100% flurocarbon. Tried to test it out this morning @ Castic but wind is really bad today.

Fire Ball
11-21-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm setting the rod up for crankbaits. The rod blank looks and feels alot like my G. Loomis rods. I ended up putting #12 Trilene 100% flurocarbon. Tried to test it out this morning @ Castic but wind is really bad today.

I went to Castaic this morning too, but it was closed for launching. :Angry:
I haven't tried Trilene Fluoro yet. I have heard good and bad things about it.

driven2fish
11-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Depends what presentations you will be using

listen to dark shadow!!!

it really does depend on what presentation you are trying to give them. funny cause my girlfriend LOVES the way that mono floats...and gives her bait that little delay / pause "on the fall".

i am 100% fluro guy. BUT, i will get schooled by her when we are fishing a certain way, and therefore have my mono set-up when the situation calls for it. otherwise...i love the low-visibility that the fluro provides.

as far as how much it all costs. unless your rich, you cant go crazy of course, but don't just go with the low ball basement ish. i change my line out a ton. probably way to much. but that new line gives me a lot of confidence...and i dont mind paying a little extra for that.

i also like to have a few different line set-up's, and comparing them against each other in the same conditions. make mental notes...and have fun!!!

basscat
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
I use regular cheap mono as the "base" line and then tie on a good fluro as a topshot, usually, use half of the new spool of the fluro.

I mean, how many times can anyone cast below the bottom layer of mono?

Once you cast off and allow for a long run if you get hooked, you should still have plenty of fluro.

I do it all the time with all my salt water reels. Just have to make sure you TIE the two lines very well.

I put on 100-150 ft. ft. of good fluro on my salt reels and taken tails and tunas and seen the knot go thru the guides and never lost a fish on the topshot, other than maybe the fluro was frayed but that was because I should have cut off the last 5 ft. of fluro and re-tied the hook.