View Full Version : Dvl new launching fee

TrouTracker
11-20-2009, 12:18 PM
There's been a little confusion regarding the new launching fee that I wanted to clarify. Please keep in mind that the MWD spent over 500K for Megan's launch ramp extension. Here's the new launching fee structure from Mr. David Neitzke, GM of Urban Parks Concessions, at DVL:

1. $7.00 Parking fee (unchanged)
2. $3.00 Daily fishing access fee (unchanged)- This money goes directly to the
re-stocking of trout program.
3. $12.00 Boat launching fee (increased only $6.00)

Remember that the moderately increased launching fee will be in place until the cost of Megan's launch ramp extension is paid for. Personally, I was surprised that the increase was not in the $14-20.00 range.

General public launching starts on Sunday, December 20th. As we speak, David's staff is preparing for this date. They are going to do as much as possible to make the re-opening go smoothly. It's going to be a mad house for the first few months. Anticipate huge lines winding down Domenigoni Parkway all the way to Sanderson. But, at least we're back on the crystal clear waters of the Jewel.......
Barry A. Ogawa

Gobigal
11-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Barry,

Thanks for all your positive input throughout the 14-month ramp shut-down. I too "was" an avid DMV "holdover" trout fisherman in the early years. Trolling, drifting nightcrawlers and the relaxing still fishing, was some of the most enjoyable times I had fishing any lake. I was even catching these beautiful full tailed holdovers accidently while fishing for largemouth bass using Roboworms......boy, those were the good 'ol days. The meat on those fish were pink, firm, healthy and as tasty as any trout I have ever eaten.

With that said, what's your opinion on the prospects for those enjoyable days on the water again with the stripers seemingly in charge? Will you continue trying for those holdovers, or will you make the big switch (like me) and try for those 20-30 pound beasts?

With all the "striper" threads in this forum it does not look good for us old-pro holdover trout fisherman and DVL.

What do you think?

Your fellow "holdover trout" compadre,

Big Al

fishntime
11-20-2009, 04:13 PM
ALRIGHT!!!!!! Finally we can get back to fishing Southern Californias finest fisery. And for $12 its a steal, when you take into consideration how much it cost to build the ramp. Once again, thanks goes out to Megan and all her hard work.....

Lightline
11-20-2009, 05:08 PM
How about kayaks? is it only restricted to sit in kayaks? or have you guys changed and is allowing sit on top kayaks?

GdHkSet1
11-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Barry,

Not sure if I'm going to be shopping and wrapping gifts for my 10y/o or trolling DV that

whole week! Ah...Trolling... Thanks for the fee info! Has there been any info of the 2008

annual passes still being valid for use or prorated.. Hoep to see you before opening. Long

lines out to Domenigoni, no problem brings back the 2003 good times talking in line with

FNN'ers up to gate.

Basshole
11-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to wait till January to luanch since I never bothereed to buy a license this year. I wish the state of CA would issue licenses valid for 12 mo. from date of purchase but that's another story. I'm sure it'll be a war zone out there that day too. How long will the MWD charge $12.00 for launch fees? Till the ramps paid off? Or time the end of time like most other fees?

PHISHnutS
11-21-2009, 11:16 AM
How about kayaks? is it only restricted to sit in kayaks? or have you guys changed and is allowing sit on top kayaks?

Why would that have changed? Still the same regulations.

ShellBack USNRET
11-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Attaboy, DVL, I'm glad to see the increase in the launching fees only. This is proper and doesn't effect those who do not launch.

Is there any word on those like myself who have months left on our old Annual Parking & Boat Launch Pass and what is the new cost of the pass?

TrouTracker
11-21-2009, 12:29 PM
There's a lot of great questions that have come up regarding the re-opening of DVL. It's really good because the answers to these questions will help you in many ways. Here's a few answers:

1. Annual pass holders that purchased prior to the lake closing can have their passes pro-rated. The plan is to re-issue you temporary passes that will reflect the time that you lost. My suggestion would be to finalize this process prior to the re-opening. Contact the DV Marina to get updated information.
2. As far as the additional launching fee, I'm sure that it will be in place for some time. This fee will be paying down the over 500K for Megan's launch ramp extension. It all depends on number of boats launching annually.
3. There has been no change in kayakers rules.
4. The holdover trout population has been greatly diminished since the opening. Primarily, it's because of the striper population. There's an imbalance of stripers due them spawning in the lake, aquaduct water introduction and few being caught. I'm still targeting the holdovers because there's nothing quite like it when you hook into one. You DVL seasoned trollers know what I'm talking about.
5. Here's the "latest & greatest" for boaters- 1 week prior to the December 12th charity event, you'll have a chance to have your boat inspected and "banded". This is great news because you can zip right through the gate, while other boater's are struggling getting inspected. Contact the DV Marina for updated info. Definitely worth your time!
Barry A. Ogawa

kwin
11-21-2009, 02:26 PM
There is still a viable population of holdover trout within DVL. In the last year I have shocked MANY holdovers....one I thought was a striper as it was EASILY over 30 inches. Stripers cannot predate on the large holdovers as they won't fit in their mouth. Anything larger than 3 pounds is safe from 80-90% of the current striper population. The popularity of the holdover fishery by anglers has decreased catch rates over time. Once easy limits are harder to come by as more anglers target the holdovers as well. The most positive aspect of the suspension of the launching facilities is those trout have been relatively untargeted over the last year & allowed to grow larger.

Gobigal
11-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks KWIN for your input.

I totally respect your background and knowledge of the current fish population at DVL. It's good news to read that there are still some "holdover" trout available with your first-hand observations. I was very skeptical that any holdover trout survived the drawdown and subsequent limited forage area for the trout. With such a large increase in the number of stripers since '07 I'm surprised you did see any holdovers.

Is there any chance the trout stocking program which uses our daily fishing fees could change the method on how they plant trout at DVL? Maybe use a barge and unload the trout in the middle of the lake, or access points toward the west dam? Or, does it really matter?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a trophy trout lake can still happen in my backyard, but if not, striper slayer Al to the rescue.

Big Al

GdHkSet1
11-21-2009, 05:50 PM
There's a lot of great questions that have come up regarding the re-opening of DVL. It's really good because the answers to these questions will help you in many ways. Here's a few answers:

1. Annual pass holders that purchased prior to the lake closing can have their passes pro-rated. The plan is to re-issue you temporary passes that will reflect the time that you lost. My suggestion would be to finalize this process prior to the re-opening. Contact the DV Marina to get updated information.
2. As far as the additional launching fee, I'm sure that it will be in place for some time. This fee will be paying down the over 500K for Megan's launch ramp extension. It all depends on number of boats launching annually.
3. There has been no change in kayakers rules.
4. The holdover trout population has been greatly diminished since the opening. Primarily, it's because of the striper population. There's an imbalance of stripers due them spawning in the lake, aquaduct water introduction and few being caught. I'm still targeting the holdovers because there's nothing quite like it when you hook into one. You DVL seasoned trollers know what I'm talking about.
5. Here's the "latest & greatest" for boaters- 1 week prior to the December 12th charity event, you'll have a chance to have your boat inspected and "banded". This is great news because you can zip right through the gate, while other boater's are struggling getting inspected. Contact the DV Marina for updated info. Definitely worth your time!
Barry A. Ogawa

Barry,
Thanks for the detailed info, will have to drive up and get the boat banded. Look fwd to fishing with you again at the Jewel..

TroutOnly
11-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Whats trolling whats a holdover,,,,,,,,,,,im killing stripers when i return,,,,,,

TrouTracker
11-22-2009, 04:39 PM
To "SOTO"- Killing stripers at the Jewel is one of the best things I've heard from you! I know that it won't be long until you have the lake record with stripers. Every dedicated holdover troller will be supporting your efforts and rooting you on. We can't wait to see the Crestliner back on the waters............
Barry A. Ogawa

bruce watson
11-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Barry, thanks for the updates. Is there anything on the boards for this spring to benefit the youth programs of hemet. You really had the smackdown, Hemet High School and Average Joe tournaments going strong just before the shutdown.

TrouTracker
11-23-2009, 10:53 AM
To Bruce- It's funny you mention the charity events that we were doing at the Jewel. I was just thinking about how I've missed this type of event. I've always tried to include either the Make-A-Wish Foundation or Boys & Girls Clubs of the Southwest County in these events. Next time we should do something for the city of Hemet, which really took a financial hit due to the lake closure. But, let's wait until we get the lake stabilized again with the re-opening. Also, I'd like to wait until the water elevation gets back to somewhat normal conditions. Once everything settles down, we'll have another Smackdown Trout Derby. We'll call it the Smackdown "Top Gun" Trout Derby. This time we'll skip the banana launchers.......
Barry A. Ogawa

JigStop
11-23-2009, 01:46 PM
They are still there. Doesn't take a lot of skill. A couple of cheap down riggers. Catch one, then stay at that depth. All the so-called "tips" are mostly bogus too. Flouro-carbon, small baits. We was catching them on 15lb. test and 4 3/8" jointed rapalas and getting busted off plenty. Them striper must have been the culprits back then too? One thing for certain, they don't fight very good. Best left for the meat hounds........

GdHkSet1
11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Attaboy, DVL, I'm glad to see the increase in the launching fees only. This is proper and doesn't effect those who do not launch.

Is there any word on those like myself who have months left on our old Annual Parking & Boat Launch Pass and what is the new cost of the pass?

Fellow Shellback,

Old passes:

Walked into the Kiosk this afternoon, after checking out a 21lb and 18lb striper in the parking lot caught by a couple. // Nice Gal inside will issue you a new green temp pass out to 2010-your expiration date will vary based on when you purchased your pass in 2009- no cost involved just turn in your old pass and show id. Good luck.

Barry - Thanks for getting the initial info..

Big Country
12-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Barry what does having your boat "banded" mean?

If mine is already inspected and has a sticker, is it good or is there another process I need to go through?

WormFisher
12-09-2009, 01:38 PM
The main lake is still over 150' deep. The draw down only affected the shallow coves of the lake. Most of them are out of water or greatly changed.

The lake has been "open" the last 18 months. It's just people choose to not fish it via rental or on foot.

banded means your boat get's banded to the trailer kinda like what they do at casitas. It's to try and keep the quagga out so you can't take your boat anywhere else or off your trailer. If you do you are going to have to get it reinspected.

DarkShadow
12-09-2009, 02:04 PM
The lake has been "open" the last 18 months. It's just people choose to not fish it via rental or on foot.

WHAT?!?! Everyone I talked to said it was closed.

Then again, I wouldn't dare be caught on a rental. What would the Ranger Boat Owner Association think of me?

;-)

TroutOnly
12-09-2009, 04:28 PM
HEY GOBIGAL YOU ASKED THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION, THE PEOPLE RUNNING THE LAKE DONT SEEM TO GET IT, AS THEY CONTINUE TO PLANT AT THE MAIN RAMP ALL THEY DO IS TRAIN THE BIG STRIPERS TOGO THERE LOOKING FOR THE PLANTERS,INSTEAD OF HAVING TO TRACK THEM DOWN OUT IN THE LAKE,ALL THEY NEED IS A COUPLE TUBES AND THEY CAN PLANT AT A COUPLE PLACES ON THE WEST END OF THE LAKE AND MIX IT UP OTHERWISE ALL THEY DO IS MAKE BIG STRIPERS BIGGER ,AT CASTAIC WHEN ME OR MY CLIENTS KILL AN BIG STRIPEWR DURING THE TROUT STOCKING PERIODS THEY HAVE FROM ONE TO THREE TROUT IN THERE STOMACHS ALWAYS. THINK ABOUT IT WHEN THEY STOCK AT THE MAIN RAMP THEY HAVE THE BIG LMB AFTER THEM THE STRIPERS AFTER THEM THE FISHERMAN WHO DONT WANT TO WORK FOR THE HOLDOVERS AND THE SHORE FISHERMAN WHO TAKE WHAT EVER HAPPENS ALONGM, THE CERTAIN GUIDE WHO USED TO KILL THE STOCKIES ALL THE TIME BECAUSE HE COULDNT FIND THE HOLDOVERS. THE STOCKED TROUT ARE THE REPLACEMENTS OF THE HOLDOVERS BECAUSE THERES KNOW WHERE FOR THE TROUT TO BREED IF THEY HAD A LITTLE STREAM RUNNING INTO THE LAKE THEY COULD REPRODUCE BUT THE WAY IT IS THE STOCKING TROUT IS THE BREEDING PROGRAM, SO THE NEXT TIME YOU KILL A STOCKING THINK ABOUT HOW HE WOULD LOOK GROWN UP, THEN MAYBE USE SOME SKILLLS SOME OF THE TIME AND TRY TO KILL SOME BIG STRIPERS, I HOPE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO WILL PUT SOME TIME ON THE STRIPER KILL WHILE VISITING THE LAKE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,KILL ALL STRIPERS,,,,,,,,,,t/o

GdHkSet1
12-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Bob,

Good luck this weekend, hope you get a boatload. We'll be out Sunday.....

NooB SaBass
12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I'd kill strippers if I knew how to fish for em lol...