PDA

View Full Version : Little Banjo Ray Most Deadliest

DockRat
11-20-2009, 07:04 AM
After getting nailed in the finger a couple years ago I would take a 50 lb Bat Ray over a med pizza size Banjo Ray. The hottest water you can hold your hand in will relieve the pain. Mine hurt like a mutha then got better after a couple days. Then 6 weeks later it is swelling up and hurting so I go to the doc and get a Xray. Guess what ? Got a 1/4" stinger still in my finger so they cut it out and it finally got better.

Now I flip them upside down with the butt of the rod then throw a big wad of kelp on them and step on the kelp for the hook release.

The use the rod butt to flip them back into the surf.

The Banjo Ray has the stinger at the end of the tail and is like a scorpion.
Be Carefull.

Watch these dumbasses handle this little harmless ray then get nailed
at Manhattan Beach Pier :Crying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujnweCrpJo8

DR

winningman
11-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Just watch out !!:Angry:

Be careful~~They hurts:Angry::Explode:

yakker
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Holy Smokes DockRat!!!

I'll keep the ray close and kelp closer. You went six weeks with a ray stinger in ya :o
I'm glad your OK

bsp
11-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Round Stingrays... never heard them called Banjo rays before, but man those suckers pack a punch. Most guys think it's a joke, but it hurts a ton. It happens quite a bit on all the piers. I used to fish Manhattan Beach Pier a lot, and the guy in the cafe would give people boiling hot water if they got stung like you said. Works on sculpin stings too. The heat denatures the proteins in the venom rendering it harmless.

Poxy Boggards
11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
One just barely got my right by my finger nail one time, and that thing hurt for a couple of weeks. Good call to warn people about these types of rays. They are very hard to handle. Best not to touch them at all if possible.

It looked like that kid got it pretty bad, wonder if he ended up in the hospital...

bassaholic90
11-23-2009, 11:04 PM
do bat ray stings hurt pretty bad and like is the stinger like at the end of ther tail i catch alot of them and never really knew i caught one today surf fishing lol

DockRat
11-24-2009, 06:46 PM
do bat ray stings hurt pretty bad and like is the stinger like at the end of ther tail i catch alot of them and never really knew i caught one today surf fishing lol

The Round Ray has the Stinger at the end of it's tail and whips it around and can nail you like a scorpion.
I think it is in the middle of 2 flaps of tail skin flappers.
Be carefull with these little devils. A 10" Round Ray will hurt you bad.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/sumdumsk8r/2007/PC240025.jpg

The tail spine is periodically shed and replaced; for most of the year round stingrays have only one spine, but at the beginning of July small secondary spines begin to appear. The number of rays with secondary spines increases to a peak around September and October, then declines as the primary spines fall off and are replaced. The replacement process is complete by December.

The Batray has the stinger close to the body on the top of the tail so if it whips it's tail it won't nail you.
You can flip over a Batray and hold it's body down to unhook it. Some guys cut the line and don't mess with them.
But the bats are not to bad to handle unless you have a big one say 50 lbs +
DR

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/gopherchucks13/Monterey%20Trip/100_1112.jpg

smokehound
11-27-2009, 06:46 AM
"It's Super-Effective!"

ignoramus fainted!

Father blacked out! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

2jackedLUNGS
11-27-2009, 07:24 PM
doesnt look fun getting stung by one of those.

Fire Ball
11-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I would just cut my line if I caught one of those. I would be afraid that it would sting me! Anything too dangerous, I would just cut the line. Looks like it hurts really bad.

Granny Fish
11-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info. caught them plenty of times, but never knew they had a stinger. Guess I was lucky.

DockRat
07-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Bump for summer warnings.

Be vary carefull with these rays.
DR

delmar
07-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I got stung by one of those, man it does hurt.... to top it off i got stung on the right palm and i drove a manual car....

smokehound
07-10-2010, 08:05 PM
these things are no joke. I saw a humongous diamond stingray in dana harbor a while back. Imagine a stab from that behemoth.