PDA

View Full Version : Shark Sightings. Seen Any ?

DockRat
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Saw a Thresher jump in the Port of LA couple weeks ago. Jumped about 8 times and was about 5'.

Saw this report below on http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/

Click on Pacific Coast Shark News on the left.

This site blows me away on how many sightings there is.

Sunset Beach — On November 17, 2009 Kio Suzaki was fishing from a kayak at Sunset Beach. It was 10:00 AM and he was 100 yards from shore, South of the rain drain near Gladstone's Restaurant. The sky was clear with 1 foot waves. It was 1.5 hours following the peak tide of 6.5 feet and his observation of a single pinniped in the area. Water depth was about 10 feet with 20 – 30 feet of visibility. The ocean floor was sandy with scattered rocks covered with eel grass. There were 2 paddleboarders 300 yards South East of his location. Suzaki reported; “I was approximately 250 yards North of my previous encounter on November 6 th . At the time of encounter, I was chumming pieces of Mackerel to catch baitfish while fishing for Halibut. There was no current so my kayak stayed at the same spot for about 40 minutes. When I noticed the Great White Shark it was about 15 feet in front of me. It was 8 – 10 feet in length with a big, fat belly. It then started to circle around the kayak at 8 – 12 feet of radius, showing interest at me the kayak, and the mackerel that I was chumming. The shark circled the kayak at least four times. It was cruising about 2 feet below the surface. After noticing the shark, I stayed quiet, observed it intently, and stored my fishing rod and bait. Since there were three rods with tangled lines, I did not use oars. The shark did not show any sign of aggressiveness, perhaps just curious. A few minutes after the shark had left, I gradually left the scene and returned to the shore.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

DR

rusty6
11-19-2009, 08:01 PM
theyre have been soooooo many sightings of breaching sharks at that same beach for a while. ive seen a few large great white up here in the morro area

jerryG
11-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Last year Toads Only and I were fishing Paradise Cove (Malibu) from kayaks when we spotted a bird school in the distance. As we got closer we saw what we thought was a very large dolphin breach completely out of the water. Although this would have been very large for a dolphin we didn't think much of it. We decided to go back inside to fish the kelp line. There was a paddle board race going on and we had been seeing paddle boarders all morning. A few days after the trip there was talk of a an attack in Malibu. I checked it out and found that it took place on the same day we were out. There were pictures of the two guys who were attacked and I remember seeing them paddle past us. They were headed directly in the direction of the bird school we had seen. I later found that was the area the attack took place. It looks like luck was on our side that day. The two guys ended up being rescued by a boat in the area. The shark had become agressive and struck their boards but they managed to escape any injury.

Jerryg

DockRat
11-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Last year Toads Only and I were fishing Paradise Cove (Malibu) from kayaks when we spotted a bird school in the distance. As we got closer we saw what we thought was a very large dolphin breach completely out of the water. Although this would have been very large for a dolphin we didn't think much of it. We decided to go back inside to fish the kelp line. There was a paddle board race going on and we had been seeing paddle boarders all morning. A few days after the trip there was talk of a an attack in Malibu. I checked it out and found that it took place on the same day we were out. There were pictures of the two guys who were attacked and I remember seeing them paddle past us. They were headed directly in the direction of the bird school we had seen. I later found that was the area the attack took place. It looks like luck was on our side that day. The two guys ended up being rescued by a boat in the area. The shark had become agressive and struck their boards but they managed to escape any injury.

Jerryg

Awesome story. Was this the day ?

Malibu Beach — On July 22, 2007 Vic Calandra accompanied by 20 competitors was paddle boarding from Zuma Beach to Malibu in the 10-mile Tommy Zahn Paddleboard Race. They had all entered the water at the Zuma Beach Lifeguard station at about 9:00 AM. There was a slight overcast with no wind and a small swell. He was standing on his board using a single paddle to propel himself and had passed Paradise Cove and Corral Beach and had nearly reached the incline where Malibu Road starts. He was about a mile and a quarter offshore with another competitor 300 yards farther outside of his location. Calandra recounted the following to Journalist Ben Marcus; "The ocean was calm when I heard the sound of something cutting through the water. I stopped paddling and turned around and saw something big in the water behind me. I thought it might be a dolphin, but the fin kept coming out of the water until it was 18 – 24 inches high. The fin was about 30 feet behind me and tracked in the wake of my paddleboard for another 50 – 100 yards, closing the distance slowly until it was 10 feet away. That is when the melee began. The shark nudged my board from behind and I slapped at the water with my paddle just as it turned on its side. I got a full look at it as it past my board only two feet below the surface. It was 12 feet long with an immense girth of about 3.5 feet on either side of the dorsal fin. The shark swam laterally three or four times under me as I continued slapping at it. The shark seemed to be very aggressive and agitated. I continued to maneuver my board for several minutes trying to avoid being struck by the shark. This allowed three other paddlers to catch up to me. I managed to attract the attention of one. It was Joey Everett an LA County Fireman and Lifeguard stationed at Zuma Beach. When Everett was about 25 yards from me the shark rammed the tail of my board. Everett yelled, "Don't fall! He's on your tail. I'm going to try and ram him!' Everett paddled up and over the shark with his board and I started swinging with my paddle. I was screaming at the shark and bumping it with my board and hitting it on the nose but I had no idea if that was scaring the shark or making it more aggressive. The shark made at least 6 aggressive strikes at my board during our mutual stand against it. We saw a fishing boat about 150 – 200 yards away and headed for it. When we finally reached the boat Everett went aboard and called Baywatch for assistance as there were still more than a dozen paddlers on the water. I continued on to warn other participants and finish the race." White Sharks are known to frequent this location from March to September. Caution should be exercised when utilizing this area for your ocean water activities. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news_2007.htm

I like this line.

Caution should be exercised when utilizing this area for your ocean water activities.:Pillow Fight:

Sounds like a good idea with Paddlers and GWS's bumping into each other.:ROFL:

DR

Nessie Hunter
11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
WOW!!! there are Sharks in the Ocean????

I better stop Tubing in Saltwater..............

:ROFL:

DockRat
11-21-2009, 06:59 PM
WOW!!! there are Sharks in the Ocean????

I better stop Tubing in Saltwater..............

:ROFL:

Try tubing in the seal zones up north :ROFL: http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/chargers_rule07/3639157404.jpg

Just wondering if anyone had seen any jumpers :???:

Dove at Santa Barbara Island in the 90's a couple times and was always scared shitless
with all the seals darting around and the night dives were freaky. :Dog Piss:
DR

DockRat
11-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Check out this video of sharks of N PV in the kelp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFnQTfNu0RA

Smooth Hounds ? Seven Gill ?

Nice Video of schools of White Sea Bass in the kelp :Dancing Banana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfjzDkUF7kw

DR

jerryG
11-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Awesome story. Was this the day ?

Malibu Beach — On July 22, 2007 Vic Calandra accompanied by 20 competitors was paddle boarding from Zuma Beach to Malibu in the 10-mile Tommy Zahn Paddleboard Race. They had all entered the water at the Zuma Beach Lifeguard station at about 9:00 AM. There was a slight overcast with no wind and a small swell. He was standing on his board using a single paddle to propel himself and had passed Paradise Cove and Corral Beach and had nearly reached the incline where Malibu Road starts. He was about a mile and a quarter offshore with another competitor 300 yards farther outside of his location. Calandra recounted the following to Journalist Ben Marcus; "The ocean was calm when I heard the sound of something cutting through the water. I stopped paddling and turned around and saw something big in the water behind me. I thought it might be a dolphin, but the fin kept coming out of the water until it was 18 – 24 inches high. The fin was about 30 feet behind me and tracked in the wake of my paddleboard for another 50 – 100 yards, closing the distance slowly until it was 10 feet away. That is when the melee began. The shark nudged my board from behind and I slapped at the water with my paddle just as it turned on its side. I got a full look at it as it past my board only two feet below the surface. It was 12 feet long with an immense girth of about 3.5 feet on either side of the dorsal fin. The shark swam laterally three or four times under me as I continued slapping at it. The shark seemed to be very aggressive and agitated. I continued to maneuver my board for several minutes trying to avoid being struck by the shark. This allowed three other paddlers to catch up to me. I managed to attract the attention of one. It was Joey Everett an LA County Fireman and Lifeguard stationed at Zuma Beach. When Everett was about 25 yards from me the shark rammed the tail of my board. Everett yelled, "Don't fall! He's on your tail. I'm going to try and ram him!' Everett paddled up and over the shark with his board and I started swinging with my paddle. I was screaming at the shark and bumping it with my board and hitting it on the nose but I had no idea if that was scaring the shark or making it more aggressive. The shark made at least 6 aggressive strikes at my board during our mutual stand against it. We saw a fishing boat about 150 – 200 yards away and headed for it. When we finally reached the boat Everett went aboard and called Baywatch for assistance as there were still more than a dozen paddlers on the water. I continued on to warn other participants and finish the race." White Sharks are known to frequent this location from March to September. Caution should be exercised when utilizing this area for your ocean water activities. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news_2007.htm

I like this line.

Caution should be exercised when utilizing this area for your ocean water activities.:Pillow Fight:

Sounds like a good idea with Paddlers and GWS's bumping into each other.:ROFL:

DR

Yep that was the day... We saw the shark that was most likely responsible for the attack breach under a bird school probably about a half hour before the incident. I guess we got lucky that is didn't come after us but I certainly won't be letting the incident keep me off
the water...

JerryG

yakker
12-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Theres really sharks in there? Caution should be exercised?

some of the biggest G W ever caught were right out in front of P V Point. Dominator Point. The Bay. the Cove. Where the Redondo Canyon comes into SaMo. Thats continental shelf. That's deep water. Gdub is king.
I've never seen one myself. But scuttle butt is that the babies feed on fish until they get to a certain size at which point they acquire a taste for larger prey. I'm not saying they'll eat a tuber or a paddle boarder or a diver. But anybody who's been to Fatburger knows. Gdub is out there, he's always out there, he's never not there, waiting, watching, preying, just cuz you don't see him, he's still there, been there for a million years, gonna be there for another million years.

Don't get snacked on.

DockRat
12-11-2009, 05:14 AM
some of the biggest G W ever caught were right out in front of P V Point. Dominator Point. The Bay. the Cove. Where the Redondo Canyon comes into SaMo. Thats continental shelf. That's deep water.

I was reading that the Salmon Sharks come all the way down to Redondo Canyon. When I worked on The Mother Goose we dove in the canyon and they radioed up to us from the mini-sub and said the crevices in the side at 300' were packed full of Shrimp.

Another time going to Catalina about 1981 on the Mother Goose we saw a 25' Whale Shark off Rocky Pt. In the 50's 60's Bob and Bill Meistral and Don Siverts used to dive on 40' + Whale Shark's in Santa Monica Bay.

How come you never hear about Whale Sharks locally ?

They don't come around anymore ?

Anyone seen one ? I know they are common in the Gulf of Mexico, Phillipines.

Worked with this Urchin Diver who saw a 20'+ GWS cruise right by him at the Channel Islands. He described it as being 'The Size Of A VW Bug'

Ala 'Gdud' :ROFL:

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/thesmashandgrabjob/eddie.jpg

Wht happened to Eddie Aikau ? Gdub got him ? Had to be, since he was a top big wave rider and could make the 15 mile paddle easy.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/I_was_a_teenage_martian/Album%20Number%202/JAWS.gif

DR

yakker
12-12-2009, 05:23 AM
I was reading that the Salmon Sharks come all the way down to Redondo Canyon. When I worked on The Mother Goose we dove in the canyon and they radioed up to us from the mini-sub and said the crevices in the side at 300' were packed full of Shrimp.

Another time going to Catalina about 1981 on the Mother Goose we saw a 25' Whale Shark off Rocky Pt. In the 50's 60's Bob and Bill Meistral and Don Siverts used to dive on 40' + Whale Shark's in Santa Monica Bay.

How come you never hear about Whale Sharks locally ?

They don't come around anymore ?

Anyone seen one ? I know they are common in the Gulf of Mexico, Phillipines.

Worked with this Urchin Diver who saw a 20'+ GWS cruise right by him at the Channel Islands. He described it as being 'The Size Of A VW Bug'

Ala 'Gdud' :ROFL:

Wht happened to Eddie Aikau ? Gdub got him ? Had to be, since he was a top big wave rider and could make the 15 mile paddle easy.

DR

Wow totally cool blast from the past. I got certified at DiveNSurf when the Meistral brothers had it. My instructor was Pat Clark. We did our beach dive at the canyon. Later on I got addicted to Topaz Avenue. Your right tho the big sharks are seldom seen. I'm convinced they are there. I haven't read the shark research committee in years, until I saw your post. And its clear there are still plenty of big sharks. However I think the fishery is changed enough (by humans) to change the patterns of the GW. I think the upper channel probably has a more regular feeding pattern. I heard about an urchin diver got eaten up there years ago, I think it was San Miguel. I've seen the big blues cruise through balls of anchovies on the surface, macs and bonies everywhere, flocks of gulls, it was a total frenzy. In my own experience there was only one time I felt the presence of GW. I was paddling out of NPH to the bell buoy then fish around Corona, when I was coming back in I stopped at the bell buoy. And I could feel something watching me, from below. I've never been afraid of the ocean, but I was sitting there about 50 yards from the jetty and I felt fear.

Eddie was a strong surfer, but the the Moloka'i Channel is one of the most dangerous channels in the world. Eddie was paddling in these currents, storm conditions, high winds, been without sleep for several days.
What happened to Eddie is a mystery. He's either still out there, or Eddie paddled in.

DockRat
12-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Wow totally cool blast from the past. I got certified at DiveNSurf when the Meistral brothers had it. My instructor was Pat Clark.

The Meistral's still own it. Bill died but Bob is still going strong.
Bob dove his age times two on his birthday a couple months ago.

81 years old X 2 = 162 feet deep
I see Bob around still. He lives a few blocks up from me.

I fogot that name, Pat Clark. He was my instructor too.
Got certifed around 1980. That was when they had the Westerly at 22nd St.

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr262/sportsman-outdoors/BODYGLOVELOGO2.jpg DR