PDA

View Full Version : Cold water advice

duce
11-18-2009, 08:19 AM
I have a special honey hole I fish every week. I always do extremely well. Now that its really cold out, my normal rig of flylining a senko is not working. I changed to a drop shot and still no love. This is the first time I caught the skunk at this place. What should I try next? The lake is very small maybe 15000 sqft and is no deeper than 25 ft (maybe a little less). There is tons of structure to fish such as reeds, and hundreds of sunken trees (snagged about 90 of them over the past few months). Any advice would help.

Ragetron
11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I would fish slow. Maybe a carolina rigged plastic. One technique that has produced consistently for me in similar situations (small pond/cold weather) is an inline spinner. Try a blue fox or a larger PM with a slow, steady retrieve. Its worked pretty well for me.

gletemfeelsteelgary
11-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Slow......when you think it's slow enough....slow it down MORE !

Dropshot robos and more importantly than what you are fishing, you need to attack in the deeper realms, this is where the oxygen levels will be more suitable for the bass as the water temps drop rapidly...

where you caught the fish before (most likely shallow) will not typically hold the same oxygen levels.....

I'd certainly try those zones again before the deeper move but with a SUPER SLOW attack....

but deeper as temps drop..

Bites are typically very lathargic feeling...sometimes only 1 tick or two....many times a sluggish feel to the bait or very slow dosile movement without any ticks...

Keep finger contact with the line to sense the most subtle strikes....let them mouth it a bit too...

12"-15" dropshot tag end AT MOST try shorter.......

Good luck....REMEMER slow it down....WAY DOWN....even drag allot rather than twitch