PDA

View Full Version : Tradition question

whate
11-17-2009, 05:43 PM
I saw the 2 for 1 deal and was thinking about going with a guy at work. I told him about it and we decided that we're going to take a day off to take advantage of this offer.
About an hour after our conversation, my buddy sent me an email with this link http://local.yahoo.com/info-20500593-redondo-sport-fishing-redondo-beach?tab=reviews#reviews

I fished on a few boats (not the Tradition) in the past and the experience was somewhat similar to the reviews, especially the part with "friends" of the captain that come along, make the boat theirs, swing irons left and right, and not giving a shat about others. It's also true about the minimum load. And that's what stopped me going again.

I want to go and have a great time, but seeing these reviews really makes me think twice.

I heard that if you're a regulars, you'll prob. get a different treatment or, at least, know your way around.

I'm sure some of the FNN members fished on Tradition before, please share your experience, here or PM me.

Thanks.

bsp
11-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Whate, those guys doing the review sound like people who have no clue how the party boat game goes. Even the guy who said he had experience mockingly talked about the crew/deadheads chucking "big metal lures with big hooks to catch 'gamefish.'" Anybody who has spent any time on a boat knows that hucking surface iron/jigs/hardware is one of the best ways to pick up the breezer YT, bonito, or a big calico. The rent rodder also was on a 1/2day and obviously didn't do much ocean fishing. Sounded like he had a slight attitude too, and that doesn't fly well with the captain or deckhands. I'm betting he was on the City of Redondo and not the Redondo Special because I've always had an awesome time on the Special. The City... not so much. After the one trip of sitting on a WO mackerel bite for a few hours, I decided that the Special was the way to go.

I haven't been on the Tradition yet, but since the old Spitfire crew is on the boat I am sure they will treat you and your friend well. Be courteous, ask for help politely if you need it, and you should have a great trip. I always felt comfortable bringing a new buddy with all the Redondo crews because I knew they'd help him out if I just mentioned that it was his first trip. As long as you aren't arrogant and just act laid back, you and the crew will get along very well. Some of the deadheads can be either drunk/stoned, but if you're chill with them they usually won't ruin your trip and'll help you out too. They give away fish and pass off rods to guys who aren't hooked up, so they aren't useless and dangerous like the reviews portrayed.

Bottom line, give the Tradition a shot and don't let those few negative reviews affect your trip. You'll probably be targetting rock cod, so easy fishing for a lot of taco meat. Bring some Jax jigs or a big Megabait to try and get a jackpot ling!

murrieta angler
11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Whate, I went for the first time about a month ago and everyone was incredibly helpful. The boat has been refurbished and just put back into action just this past July, I believe. It is very clean, the food is good and most importantly, THE PEOPLE ARE NICE!!!! I know I already said this once...:Big Grin:
Just 1 tip if I may throw my other 2 Cents out there....It is always a much more pleasant experience if you get to know the crews name and use them right off the bat. Most people in general, not just cattle boat people, really do appreciate it... Good Luck & Tight Lines Whate

cappo
11-17-2009, 09:08 PM
haha those reviews are ridiculous. Never had a bad trip on tradition or spitfire. Great captain and crew. Nuff said.

Matador1238
11-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I have been on the Tradition once during summer. The captain and the crew was great. I suggest you get there EARLY....like 4am and get your tickets. You get to pick your fishing spots on the boat when you buy your tickets. I got there at 4:45 and thought I was early but all the sterns spots are already taken. We were fishing for Calicos and only those on the stern could cast to the kelp and the boilers. Of course, they got most of the bigger fish.
Also, everyone made bait with sabiki rig but most were used by the regulars. The crew would net them and hand to the regulars. All other dudes use small chovies most of the time.
Dont get me wrong, the captain and crew was awesome. If I get on that boat often, I think I would be treated equally as well. Thats how it works.
Since they are probably fishing for rockfish now, so it doesnt really matter. I would jump on the 2 for 1 deal.

victor101
11-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Im with Cappo...never had a bad trip with these guys. Go check it out for yourself. The 2for1 is a great deal. I dont think ive ever paid under $45 for a 3/4 day trip.

Ive fished the Tradition only a couple times this year...but i have fished with that crew quite a few times over the years. They have a great captain and crew...Yes if you're a regular you will get treated a little different, but that goes with everything. If you're a regular at a restaraunt you will probably get better service... Just the way it is. Get out there and dont be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Have fun!

WHAMMY
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
The Tradition is my favorite 3/4 boat around. Steven Morgan and Debo will put you on fish and are extremely helpful whenever you need it. Best of all Debo makes the best food around!

cappo
11-18-2009, 09:34 AM
The Tradition is my favorite 3/4 boat around. Steven Morgan and Debo will put you on fish and are extremely helpful whenever you need it. Best of all Debo makes the best food around!

X2 Those breakfast burrito are the bomb.

deanhall32
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Never been on the Tradition but was on the Spitfire a few times and I hear the crew is the same. Awesome crew-I mean really nice guys who make you feel relaxed and absolutely no yelling for no reason!!

Hawkeye
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
You need to use certain amount of discernment when reading reviews. One of way assessing the reliability of the reviewer is to look at the user’s profile and see how many reviews this person has done. If you click on the user names for the Tradition on the yahoo site you provided, there is only one review tied to each of the profile for the "Tradition." Be very wary of profile that have only one review tied to the profile name, be it a good review or bad one, most of the time it is done by the someone within the company being reviewed to fluff up the appearance or competition to just to say something bad to get customers away from that company and make it appear bad. Besides, some of those reviews appear to be done by one person using different profile names, similar writing pattern and similar use of certain "words." Again, not to say that there are never problems just take it with a grain of salt when reading reviews.

I think it is better to rely on what you see and read on FNN from people who have gone on the boat or other fishing forums. I myself went on the old "Spitfire" before it became the Tradition with the same crew, many times and had nothing but good things to say. Now the landing "Redondo Sports Fishing" itself has had some issues in the past which irritated me a bit but otherwise the captain and the crew always great.

hbomb
11-18-2009, 03:54 PM
The Tradition is one of my favorite boats to fish off and will keep going on the tradition, just go out there and have some fun....:Cool:

really_drunk
11-18-2009, 04:40 PM
the tradition crew are a bunch of cool peeps i have never had a bad trip with the i highly reccomend them!!

shovelnose
11-18-2009, 08:09 PM
X2 Those breakfast burrito are the bomb.
don't forget the delicious burgers:Big Grin:

deanhall32
11-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Is the Tradition the typical LA boat where you buy your ticket and it comes with a number where you are assigned to fish all day? Ugggg...hope not!! Don't recall the Spit being that way or was it and everyone just got along??

murrieta angler
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Is the Tradition the typical LA boat where you buy your ticket and it comes with a number where you are assigned to fish all day? Ugggg...hope not!! Don't recall the Spit being that way or was it and everyone just got along??

It is assigned numbers but when I went it didnt really matter where you were. In fact I don't recall anyone saying, "this is my spot" cause I was all over the boat....:Big Grin: I'm a friendly guy, what can I say!?

whate
11-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your input guys!! I'll give it a shot. Now i'll need to figure out what to bring (lure, gear,etc...)

murrieta angler
11-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks for your input guys!! I'll give it a shot. Now i'll need to figure out what to bring (lure, gear,etc...)

15-30# rod with at least 250 yards of 25# test, if you don't have braided line. You want to bring at least a couple of 8 oz and 10 oz torepedo leads. Some 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. That's if you stop and drop for rockfish.

If they go after the Bonita bring the same rod and a decent casting reel if you want to throw a megabait or diamond jig. They will also have some live bait if you want to flyline for the Bonitas. Good Luck

eddiefishtaco
11-21-2009, 10:46 PM
any boat is better than stayin home:Crying:

ghetto dad
11-22-2009, 09:52 PM

they had numbers....but MOST ( :ROFL: ) of us just got along..poaching each others spots.....its your spot till you move..then you lose it... :ROFL:

GD