PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite tackle store?

STEVE IN SOCAL
11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Mine is Fisherman's Access in Brea. I met the owner Jack at the Fred Hall show in San Diego last year, and he really tuned me up to the hot new techniques/gear (business and a 5 year house remodel had me on the sidelines for a while). Even though I'm in SD, I still get my stuff through him (they do mail order as well).

samgann93
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Last chance bait and tackle!!!!!!!!!

Awesome. Usually has all the gear i want. Everyone in there is friendly too.

GET DA NET
11-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Sav-on Tackle.....................

Poxy Boggards
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Long Fin & Taka's Tackle (Love the Mom & Pop feel)

STEVE IN SOCAL
11-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Sav-on Tackle.....................

Can you get an ice cream cone there?

Ricky-Ray
11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Baja Fish Gear

2jackedLUNGS
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Longfin and Baja

calico killer kevin
11-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Longfin and Fisherman's Access

sansou
11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Squidco, Chark, and the net.

CatchthatTrout
11-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I do like the Longfin and I must mention Richard's Tackle in Rosemead because he's donated to FNN events in the past and it's a nice little shop.

City Dad
11-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Bigfoot Flies in Van Nuys.

bsp
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Baja Fish Gear for offshore, Turner's to talk fishing and grab the staple items like lead and hooks, Best Fishing Tackle for a few specialty items like Basstrix swimbait tails, Performance Tackle for all your hardcore SW or FW bassing needs, Fishing 25 for hard to find JDM tackle, and Hookeduptackle for swimbaits.

Bradakas
11-17-2009, 08:55 PM
what ever store has the deals. Don't forget about walmart for the basics (line hooks weights ect)

I usually go Walmart<turners<performance tackle

Troutman65
11-17-2009, 09:20 PM
K Mart & Big 5 Sporting Goods

GeordyBass
11-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Tackle Shop: Fisherman's Warehouse in Bellflower(Moon is a Cool Dude!!!) and good selection of rods and really sick custom rods, really good prices on tackle too! And locally I like to go to Bob Sands..... Commercial: Turners, Sports Chalet, BPS(Hands down) and lastly Sports Authority.....

phantom 34
11-17-2009, 09:43 PM
"richards" in rosemead ca. They have what you want and if not they will get it.oh and richard is a cool dude.

victor101
11-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Sav on Tackle has everything I need...

shy_boxer
11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Fishing 25 in Los Angeles!

Anglers Marine in OC!

CatchthatTrout
11-17-2009, 09:55 PM

The K-Mart in West Covina got rid of the fishing dept and Big 5 carries the basics, but not much a good price.
I agree that WalMart is the best for basic needs.

NoHo ART
11-17-2009, 10:36 PM
i get everything i need from: bob sands, fishermans warehouse, walmart, sport chalet,cabelas, ebay.
i will never shop at hooked up tackle again :!!!:

fishntime
11-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Last Chance bait and tackle in the I.E. Awesome selection and staff.

troutdog
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Longfin gets most if not all of my business....good crew and will order anything you need. Well stocked on garlic powerbait if you are looking for it btw.

TD

tmartin
11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Baja
Chark
Tackle Warehouse

MAN VS WILD
11-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Richard's Tackle in Rosemead!!! Richard also will give you all the inside info you need!! got everything you need

billy b
11-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Johnny's in Pasadena ... great family history

TNJ in Rosemead

Interesting ... nobody mentioned places in Bishop or the Sierras

fisherman from long beach
11-18-2009, 07:03 AM
i really like sav-on tackle,they take the time and explain everything for us rookies.also bait and tackle store in san pedro,forgot the name,but best prices for the ghosties.

smokinflies
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Save-On Tackle for rod repairs

Sports Chalet and Orvis for fly gear.

BPS, Richards Tackle, and Walmart for my baiting needs.

jim532
11-18-2009, 08:58 AM
for terminal gear I go to Sport Chalet becuase it's so close.
For anyhting else I go to Fish N Fools in Granada Hills or Bob Sands
If I can't get what I need from any of those 3 I hit up ebay.

jason69
11-18-2009, 03:56 PM
Sav-on-tackle (Santa Fe Springs)

Tons of great rods
All the new reels
Great selection of salt & fresh water stuff that you will use Many different opinions depending on which staffer you talk to as they each fish a different way.

hbomb
11-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Johnny's in Pasadena ... great family history

TNJ in Rosemead

Interesting ... nobody mentioned places in Bishop or the Sierras

YES, Johnnys Sport Shop, been going there since I was a kid.

evalrez
11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
The Longfin and Anglers Marine (very friendly and helpful)

Troutman65
11-18-2009, 04:48 PM
The K-Mart in West Covina got rid of the fishing dept and Big 5 carries the basics, but not much a good price.
I agree that WalMart is the best for basic needs.

Tony , It was a joke :Wink:.

BIGRED KILLA
11-18-2009, 04:56 PM

You forgot Irvine Lake tackle.

Bigred

pasadenafishin
11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
YES, Johnnys Sport Shop, been going there since I was a kid.

best place ever, im there once a week

Bassnman Mike
11-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Anglers Marine and Tackle Warehouse

Ultralight
11-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Surprised that no one mentioned BassPro. Selection sure seem good the few times I visited.

UL

smokinflies
11-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Save-On Tackle for rod repairs

Sports Chalet and Orvis for fly gear.

BPS, Richards Tackle, and Walmart for my baiting needs.

Surprised that no one mentioned BassPro. Selection sure seem good the few times I visited.

UL

I'm guessing that you missed my post.:Wink:

BPS does have a great selection, but the +30 mile drive is kind of downer.

TShaffer
11-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Really like Charkbait-cool staff.

DarkShadow
11-18-2009, 09:34 PM
BPS blows.

I walked in there looking for 8 specific things, and they were all sold out on all of them. Too bad I wasn't looking for yellow glitter Power Bait, they had 100 of those.

You wanna know what the fish are biting locally? Go to the nearest Bass Pro Shops and find out what's on the empty sections of their tackle aisles.

I sometimes think that they order stuff equally across all their stores, instead of analyzing local trends to find out what specific items should be stocked in larger quantities at specific stores.

Having said that, I've noticed 'empty' spots in many local tackle stores lately. It almost seems like they will wait to re-order stuff until they REALLY need the items, instead of keeping stores well stocked. Is this a sign of the times?

In any case, better selections seem to be online. No overhead to rent a 'store' or hire many employees to run an internet operation.

billy b
11-19-2009, 06:54 AM
How about Ernie's ... Culver's ... Parcher's ???

kwest10
11-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Taka's bait and tackle. Even though I haven't been there in 10 years.
As a kid, I bought my first tackle box there. Like 5 of them thought it was so cool a kid wanted to fish. They filled that box for me w/ free stuff to get me started.

jim532
11-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Ya BPS does kinda blow, the have a wide vareity of stuff but not a good variety.
The place would be a lot smaller if they stopped selling all the BPS and other knock off brand equipment.

I never make a special trip out there, I stop by if I'm in the area.

Prowler_Tuber
11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
I like BPS cause their fly dept trumps all others. They have a lot of deals though plus I like the fact that they actually give a military discount which is really cool. Since Im stationed in San Diego they sell Shad and Crawdads out here. The Anglers Edge is a really good shop they have a good crew over there. I really just stock up at the Fred Hall Show on stuff i know Ill use like line and hooks. the dealers and company reps hook it up if you ask for package deals.

smokinflies
11-19-2009, 01:06 PM
BPS blows.

I walked in there looking for 8 specific things, and they were all sold out on all of them. Too bad I wasn't looking for yellow glitter Power Bait, they had 100 of those.

You wanna know what the fish are biting locally? Go to the nearest Bass Pro Shops and find out what's on the empty sections of their tackle aisles.

I sometimes think that they order stuff equally across all their stores, instead of analyzing local trends to find out what specific items should be stocked in larger quantities at specific stores.

Having said that, I've noticed 'empty' spots in many local tackle stores lately. It almost seems like they will wait to re-order stuff until they REALLY need the items, instead of keeping stores well stocked. Is this a sign of the times?

In any case, better selections seem to be online. No overhead to rent a 'store' or hire many employees to run an internet operation.

Ya BPS does kinda blow, the have a wide vareity of stuff but not a good variety.
The place would be a lot smaller if they stopped selling all the BPS and other knock off brand equipment.

I never make a special trip out there, I stop by if I'm in the area.

It doesn't blow if you know someone that works there. (employee discount:Wink:)

DarkShadow
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM

I'm assuming they get discounts off internet purchases too, right?

Because if so, u could order everything off the catalog and not have to deal with the long drive and empty store shelves.

Prowler_Tuber
11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
the best rods Ive ever fished come from Dan's Custom Rods, he's a beast and an artist. They are all I own now.

fish
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM

How good is the employee discount?:Big Grin::Big Grin:

I can't believe nobody has said Angler's Center in Newport.

J. Owen
11-20-2009, 11:32 AM
tacklewarehouse slo,ca

troutman27
11-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I would definitely pick Fisherman's Access in Brea. They have a very knowledgeable and friendly staff.

bassjedi
11-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos just made me some great custom rods. Marc Higashi has forgotten more about reels than I will ever know and is a really nice guy.

dfisher
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Went to Longfin and I think I wet myself.

Never going there again unless I plan to buy something. :ROFL:

Bradakas
11-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Performance Tackle in Los Alamitos just made me some great custom rods. Marc Higashi has forgotten more about reels than I will ever know and is a really nice guy.

Yup, just saw him today. Nice guy.

afisherman13
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
i must say i have been to almost all and b and f in ontario is the best for me. i work on the road and when i see one i stop iam addicted if i must say so myself. its what i do for fun

BassinPLS
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
In my opinion, in the Inland Empire the is no place that comes close to Last Chance Bait & Tackle.

They have the good "stuff", are great people and know what is currently working on the local waters.

BassinPLS

AngryAgent
12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I like BPS cause their fly dept trumps all others.

If you haven't (and I wouldn't think you have because of your comment) try out Bob Marriots. I think they have the best fly selection around along with tons of other items like float tubes, waders and all the things fly fisherman love. I am not affiliated

The Longfin gets my vote otherwise:Envious:
I am affiliated:Envious:

vanillagurilla
12-07-2009, 06:20 PM
i like them ALL lol. but anglers marine is OK. long fin is great, so is Jimmys. fishermans access is ok but some stuff is overpriced. damn i shoulda said Wal-Mart lol.

primo55
12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
hooks and weights = walmart,
savon tackle in santa fe springs is my spot
and yes they have good ice cream!!:rofl:

WormFisher
12-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Fisherman's Hardware Huntington Beach. They have a nice selection of freshwater bass gear and trout stuff too. The people who work there are helpful. Much better than the people who used to work there. They were jerks.

BPS stocks nationally. I was hoping they were going to stock with an emphasis on regional techniques, but they do not. Lot's of stuff that are of no use out here in our lakes. I am disappointed. I only stop when I am on the way somewhere or hit the one up in Vegas while I am heading back to Cali.

If you go up North you have to stop at Delta Bait and Tackle in Manteca and Fisherman's Warehouse in Sacramento.

deanhall32
12-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Blue Water Tackle in Solana Beach.

DarkShadow
12-10-2009, 12:38 PM
BPS stocks nationally. I was hoping they were going to stock with an emphasis on regional techniques, but they do not. Lot's of stuff that are of no use out here in our lakes. I am disappointed.

U mean the 2 ounce pink with green glitter Rat L Trap you bought there isn't working for those DVL largies? Or the 9" tungsten weighted Bass Pro XPS Jiggle Stick Pro Extreme Turbo Finesse in Blaze Orange that wouldn't draw attention from the neighborhood cats hasn't caught u the "big one yet?

No shiite!

Here's another one I've grown fond of:

http://www.ichibantackle.com

Takes a bit of patience to go through what they have, and EMS shipping from overseas might be a bit too much, but a lot of gems have been unearthed, especially from their 2nd hand goods.

Has a lot non US finishes and color schemes on known baits that may mean the difference from going home with a bass thumb, or going back with a stripe across ur back.

lngbchfnhnter
12-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Sport chalet for shimano stuff and i use my sports authority emailer coupons,$25 off a $100 or sometimes(like today) ill get 25%off one item. I get those coupons often.

baja fish gear(lomita)has good deals on fish cloths.

savon and fishermans in long beach are ok..you wont save a whole lot there.
but they have a great selection on tackle.

fishermans depot (bellflower).moons a cool dude! you'll save on tackle he's got and will give you great information. definitely worth stopping by. off of the 91 freeway.

performance tackle (los alamitos) i think its mark,great great knowledge!
also he has weekend workshops, from casting to knots. definitly for the customer..also good varity on tackle.

johnnys(pasadena)cool place.right off the 210 freeway. you really got to take your time looking,hes got tackle from wall to wall. he really took advantage of his limited space.

turners sometimes will carry stuff that others wont have.

angler center(newport)basically have every thing for salt..
recently took advantage on there lucky craft sale.$13.99

bps(vegas)wasn't to impressed. they push there own products too much.. and no selection on salt stuff.(i know its in the desert)..haven't been to the one in rancho yet. heard its cool ..

That Dang Guy
12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Personally i shop online and feel out gear at bps when possible. I don't like going to local mom and pops shops to feel out stuff because it feels like i'm leading them on when i'm no really going to purchase anything from them. =p

ghetto dad
12-10-2009, 05:29 PM

:ROFL:Figures

I have a couple....Charkbait....and the Fishermans Hardware in HB...

GD

frank5968
12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
for me ..any store with tackle is zwesome...id rather go to a tackle store than to a department store..i hate shopping ..but when it comes to something i need for fishing i dont hesitate to go..

VineAssist
12-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Longfin gets my vote for all most all my tackle..I worked there for a long time and they have a very knowledgeble staff that ACTUALLY fishes. Eric has the big bass think down as well as anything in salt. Jim has the salt down and Jeff is great all around.
For swimbaits I got to either Anglers Marine in Anaheim or Performance Tackle.
The boys at Anglers are great. John and Dougy always know whats goin on and are there to help.
As for Performance Mark and Tommyboy fish a ton and stock all the hard to get stuff. They make pretty sick rods as well.i own a couple of them!

Pretty much need to stock that hard to get stuff or have a good staff or else your sunk. Been to some shops and just walk out because the staff was just rude and they did not take time to talk to you... Might have had stuff I wanted but where just too busy doing there baits.

Hometown
12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
i really like sav-on tackle,they take the time and explain everything for us rookies.also bait and tackle store in san pedro,forgot the name,but best prices for the ghosties.

the name is pauls bait and tackle good supply of surf baits

spork
12-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Anglers Center
Performance Tackle
Tackle Warehouse

DockRat
12-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Fishermans Harware in Long Beach on Anahiem and Temple has a new manager, Steve.
He has been re-doing the store, check it out. :Applause:

Rusty Hook in San Pedro :Applause:
Just Fishing in Redondo :Applause:
DR

DockRat
12-14-2009, 06:27 PM
the name is pauls bait and tackle good supply of surf baits

Pauls has Live Ghost Shrimp and Lug Worms.
They moved a couple years ago to Pacific Ave around 11th Street in San Pedro.

Rusty Hook get those foot long keep at room temp Nuclear Worms at times.
DR

dockboy
12-30-2009, 12:53 PM
As a former employee of Sport Chalet, I go there for my basic stuff, and Walmart sometimes too. Big 5 can have good stuff too, I work at one of the stores in NorCal and can tell you from experience that many of the Big 5s do not keep up an efficient or organized stock, which is a pain.

A lot of the stores mentioned are great. I like Bob Sands when I get down there, and J&T is my favorite, Sean and Ted are both awesome guys. BPS is relatively close for me, and if you go in with an open mind, you can find a lot.

I wish the AV area had a good sized shop, but since we are up here in the high desert, it won't likely happen. That being said, my favorite place for saltwater tackle is Desert Offshore in Palmdale. The owner Clint is a great guy, and while he may not have the best prices or biggest selection, its great to just talk fishing and kill some time there. He also does great work as a wrapper, and is pretty good at reel repair too. Plus, when your options are fairly limited to local big box, I like the idea of helping out the local guys.

FLYFISHING MD
12-30-2009, 04:05 PM
don't forget ''bob marriotts'' fly fishing store in fullerton i have dreams about that place

billy b
12-30-2009, 04:28 PM
I liked going there when I lived in SoCal ... Johnny's has a better selection ... both are nice to work with. Heck, I won the opening day pool one year at Johnny's so I gotsto be biased!

Fire Ball
12-30-2009, 09:34 PM
For online I like Tackle Warehouse and then for actual stores I like Sport Chalet and Castaic Tackle. I don't like going too far to buy any gear so I haven't been to many tackle stores. If I can't get it at Sport Chalet or Castaic Tackle, I will usually order it at Tackle Warehouse.

boxl0bster
01-01-2010, 03:48 AM
sports chalet is hands down the place i go to the most. its the closest and has everything i need. plus they have the best deals/sales on items IMO.

walmart is okay but their inventory is too damn random, one will carry one item and another wont.

best mom and pop is Johnnys. they have the friendliest employees there. theyre always willing to help you out and they dont treat you like you dont know jack or cant afford any their reels/rods or whatever. :Thumbs Up:

bps is a cool store but theyre almost always out of stock of all the items i need! you cant call yourself the worlds leading supplier of fishing tackle when you dont have size 6 mosquito hooks or 1/4oz drop shot weights.

there are some other tackle shops mentioned in previous posts that i've been to, but i wont name them. i feel that the selections at those stores are good but prices are all the same, no real bargins to be had. my main problem with those places is the friendliness of the staff. i would rather pay more for better/friendlier service than less at a place that doesnt seem to care for my business.

JL
01-01-2010, 05:46 AM
Kimura's IN CHINO HILLS Off Grand near the 71 freeway. Gary is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. Works hard to understand how you fish, helps with tackle and great fishing info. Don't look for a Kmart size selection, but he has the best quality and will tell you what to use and how to use it.

AngryAgent
01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
walmart is okay but their inventory is too damn random, one will carry one item and another wont.

I couldn't agree more with this statement right there ^^^^^^

I used to get a lot of stuff from walmart because the price was right but one week they would have some of the stuff I was looking for and the next they wouldn't carry it anymore. One walmart would carry a certain item and the next hadn't even heard of it before.:Angry:

Fire Ball
01-01-2010, 11:54 AM
sports chalet is hands down the place i go to the most. its the closest and has everything i need. plus they have the best deals/sales on items IMO.

best mom and pop is Johnnys. they have the friendliest employees there. theyre always willing to help you out and they dont treat you like you dont know jack or cant afford any their reels/rods or whatever. :Thumbs Up:

bps is a cool store but theyre almost always out of stock of all the items i need! you cant call yourself the worlds leading supplier of fishing tackle when you dont have size 6 mosquito hooks or 1/4oz drop shot weights.

there are some other tackle shops mentioned in previous posts that i've been to, but i wont name them. i feel that the selections at those stores are good but prices are all the same, no real bargins to be had. my main problem with those places is the friendliness of the staff. i would rather pay more for better/friendlier service than less at a place that doesnt seem to care for my business.

Yes, Sport Chalet is pretty good most of the time. Plus an FNN member works at the one that I go to so I know he can help we out when he is there. :LOL:

Granny Fish
01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
For terminal tackle, I like Fishermans Hardware in Huntington Beach. Haven't really found one place where I go for rods and reels. I just look for the deals.

tpfishnfool
01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Johnnys for service and variety, Sports Chalet for convienence, Wallmart SUCKS!!

jmp_fishinn
01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Turners<BPS<Wal-Mart(For hooks/weights):Big Grin:

LuRkEr
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Kenny's Rod & Reel, Upland

"Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.
And their always glad you came..."

mrjonez
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Joy tackle on Santa Monica Blvd and Edgemont in LA. this place rules for salt and freshwater. they seem to get every thing you want right away. they have custom rods and lots of crazy stuff from Japan and Korea. I used to drive the extra miles to this place when they where in Korea town because of the selection, now they moved to my hood and i go there all the time.

and i will always back Cabelas.

basscatcher
01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Kennys rod and reel all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LuRker do me a favor next time samfisher goes to the guasti have him call me up i want to get out there.

God BLess

basscatcher