PDA

View Full Version : Good tip for the lmb

JigStop
11-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Had good success with using leopard frogs. We was goin for the striper but kept hooking the LMB. Not really illegal and they are easy to keep using a big plastic bag with some wet spagnum moss in it.

Good live frog rig is a 3-way swivel. Use small rubber band thru front swivel to hold the neck then just break the skin under their armpits for the two trailer hooks. One frog should get you 2-3 fish, if the fish doesn't mangle the bait.

Biggest issue is finding the good medium size frogs. We got them at PetSmart, a little pricey at 2.99 each but they catch like crazy. The Strickly Reptiles dude said he would stock them if there was enough demand.

Fire Ball
11-17-2009, 03:46 PM
I might get a leopard color SPRO BronzeEye Frog and use that. I don't think it is a good idea to use these live frogs because I'm pretty sure it is illegal. I am not sure if it falls under this "Live bait can only be used if caught in the same day and location." I guess using live nightcrawlers breaks that regulation too, unless that is just a shortened version or the regulation and there are things you can and cannot use.

How big were most of the LMB you were catching?

sansou
11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
What happens if some Leopard Frogs accidentally escape? :Wink:

Matt_Magnone
11-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Haha we're gonna get guys coming into Last Chance askin us for Leopard Frogs now!

We'll know what happened when the frog bite goes completely nutty next summer and the leopard frog Spro Bronzeyes fly off the shelf :LOL:

Actually that'd be rad!!!

JigStop
11-18-2009, 02:11 PM
The biggest was only about 4lbs. so I know all the "experts" will be laughing but there were some really big boils and I have to believe that some of them were striper. I think leopard frogs are native to this area but not sure. I am glad you pointed that out though. Some of these California regulations are ridiculous. You should be able to use throw nets out there. There are millions of shad in that lake.

fishindude420
11-18-2009, 03:07 PM
live frogs! thats crazy

basscat
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Dood, don't even bring any of them frogs on board (possession) or if you caught in using them as live bait or tossed in the drink, and DFG sees you (bino's or assumes), not only is it a ticket citation, it's a possible lost of your fishing license, could get probation and even serve time for weekend visits to your local concrete holiday inn.

My friend got caught using goldfishes: $1,200 fine, 50 hours of jail time!!

You could also get caught by someone calling the DFG hottips line and in fact, posting up here could get you in hot aqua. You're tracable and if there's a problem with the frog issues in the lake, you may get a knock on the door with some folks with arm badges.