PDA

View Full Version : 7 day adventure in mammoth

Spike/Hunter
07-05-2007, 03:17 PM
this is my first post and i am excited to say i am going to mammoth for the first time on the 14th of this month for a 7 day fishing trip does anybody have tips on fishing the mammoth lakes basin, the nearby backountry lakes or mammoth creek? i would really appreciate any advice

Big Country
07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Use light line, like 2 lb. if you are fishing the lakes. Standard baits like worms, gulp eggs, power bait all work. The bit is good for the first 2 hours and the last 2 hours of the day in the lakes.

If you're looking to fish all day, mix it up like going to Mammoth Creek, Convict Creek, Rush Creek. Rush is the furthest away as it is like a 25 minute drive or so.

Talk to people when you get there and don't be shy about asking for tips on what is going on.

Most importantly - Pick up your trash!!!

Spike/Hunter
07-05-2007, 05:13 PM
thanks Big Country does anybody have advice on where to catch browns in the mammoth lakes area i have always liked to catch one but never had the chance

xtranzman
07-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I'll be up there from the 14th-17th at McGee Creek. Probably fish around there and Convict for a few days.

You are going to love it!

X

Droo
07-05-2007, 09:03 PM
this is my first post and i am excited to say i am going to mammoth for the first time on the 14th of this month for a 7 day fishing trip does anybody have tips on fishing the mammoth lakes basin, the nearby backountry lakes or mammoth creek? i would really appreciate any advice Your gonna have an awesome time man. Mammoth is the best!

For Twin Lakes head up to upper twin near the falls (its nice if you have a boat) and jig it with power worms or lip ripperz ( use orange or sparkly yellow) or go near the center of the lake off to the side (at upper twin) and sink real worms or just lip ripperz. For Mammoth Creek Samon Eggs are the best. Just search around the creek going down (the upper creek isint too good) and you gotta find what me and my brother call the "Honey Hole" The spot where the waters deep and just sink down ur samon eggs with a weight. Ive fished other lakes/creeks but not as much as these.

And aspeaking of Mammoth im going this coming up Wednesday. I might see ya :)

Spike/Hunter
07-05-2007, 09:11 PM
thanks guys all be sure to leave a report with pics

fishntoss
07-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Definitely use light line up there. I believe there is Lake Mary and Twin lakes and one or two others that I'm forgetting. Quite a few places to hike to up there also. Been awhile since I've been up there. Another place to check out is Devils Postpile. As it's a cool place to see, I seem to remember there was a trail there that would lead to some backwoods lakes and streams. But for sure check. Triple AAA would have some info as would a google search.
Some good places to fish without having to leave Mammoth.
Have fun................

Dean Wormer
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Try the inlet at George....nice place to have a good sit-down with a bear about who actually has ownership of the stringer sitting out in front of you. :banana:

:mrgreen:

Troutman65
07-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Hope you have a great time fishing and catching !!!!!

:thumb:

Welcome to FNN

Troutman65