PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your catch fresh?

tizzfishin
11-16-2009, 09:48 AM
How do you guys keep your catch fresh while trolling? Last week I trolled Irvine and dragged the fish all around the lake on a stringer. I have a old fiberglass boat. Thanks

STEVE IN SOCAL
11-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Costco was selling insulated bags with handles, kinda like a big diaper bag, with a zippered top. Not sure if they still have them, but anything similar will work. Freeze some water bottles and put them in the bag. Then keep your fish in there.

Koshaw
11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I just reread this DOH. I suppose a cooler would be the best bet with ice water in it.

Stephen
11-16-2009, 11:29 AM
How do you guys keep your catch fresh while trolling? Last week I trolled Irvine and dragged the fish all around the lake on a stringer. I have a old fiberglass boat. Thanks

My wife and I are using these two:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1308

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_54119_100011014_100000000_100011000

Then, in the car we have a cooler, with two bags of ice in it.

tizzfishin
11-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Do you attach the basket to the side of the boat?

Stephen
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Do you attach the basket to the side of the boat?

Yes, hanging on a three foot parachute cord, with carabiners at both ends.

hookset
11-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Don't use those baskets for trout, it's illegal. There is a law against keeping trout alive, to prevent people from trading up to a larger fish if they catch their limits.

"No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat” (ref. Section 4.00[e].)"

Hookset

fishfinder
11-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Don't use those baskets for trout, it's illegal. There is a law against keeping trout alive, to prevent people from trading up to a larger fish if they catch their limits.

"No trout may be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat” (ref. Section 4.00[e].)"

Hookset

thats to keep them from using them for bait.
just throw some ice in a cooler. your fish will be fresher too.

tpfishnfool
11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Bleed them and put on ice asap. Thats it. Makes all the difference. You will notice when you eat em. Yum....

STEVE IN SOCAL
11-17-2009, 09:24 AM
2 or 3 guys in a boat with a dedicated cooler for keeper trout, as well as the obligatory beer cooler...too crowded. That's why I opt for the insulated bag with ice.

Stephen
11-17-2009, 05:16 PM

Hookset

Thank you, hookset, I very much appreciate the info!

Although, rangers checked my basket twice, once at Glen Helen, once at Prado, but they only checked what and how many I had in the basket. However, at those times the basket was NOT attached to any boat. I was fishing from the shore both times, with the basket tied to a stake.

How would this affect the use of a stringer?
Fish would stay alive on a stringer for a good while ...

Ultralight
11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
By far, the best way to keep fresh is to keep as cool as possible. This means a cooler with ice in it. That's what I do. Makes a big difference compared to just leaving it in the water in a basket or on a stringer. Of course, if you are fishing where there's snow on the ground then by all means, put it in ice cold water.

I've not heard about bleeding trout....how do you do that?

UL

smokehound
11-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Here's a good tip. Instead of normal ice, make some saltwater ice.

Saltwater ice turns into a slush that stays way colder than normal ice. On the down-side, though, it does take longer to make than plain ice.

Keep them in this slush, and they will look and taste like they came straight from the lake.

With any high-fat content fish, bleeding them out is suggested to maintain a clean taste.

hookset
11-19-2009, 10:45 PM
The ask a warden section is updated every Thursday and answers questions about fishing and hunting. Sometimes they answer some pretty unique questions.

I found this there.

Question:

I know that trout may not be maintained or possessed in a live condition in any container on or attached to any boat, but is it also illegal to have trout on a stringer? We like to keep our catch on a stringer and the stringer in the water to preserve the meat. We do not attempt to keep trout alive with the intent of changing out the smaller ones. We just enjoy a good fish fry. Thank you for any help. (Stas and Holly A., Buena Park)
Answer:

Keeping your fish on a stringer in the water is perfectly fine. The fish cannot swim freely when on a stringer, and this method does help to keep them fresh until you’re ready for your fish fry!

Taken from
www.dfg.ca.gov/QandA/2008/20080626.asp

WaterBound
11-20-2009, 01:01 AM
I personally use to troll around with my live fish basket attached to the front of the boat. When attached to the back there were infrequent incidents of the basket getting caught in the prop after slowing down when fighting and landing the fish. After a while I realized the fish don't make it through a whole day of trolling. Not to mention the wasted fuel in drag from the basket. So like everyone has said already bleed em and ice em in a cooler. It is worth it to bring a cooler no matter how small the boat. Just sit on it and bring some drinks. If you have the time get some dry ice. Or boil some filtered water then freeze it in a solid block, not cubes. With a good cooler and enough ice you will easily last a whole day of trolling in full sun. Don't kill the fish quick. Bring a small bucket along, as most lakes do not like you fouling their water with blood and guts. Then make a small cut along an artery. Some people prefer the throat while others the gills. Let the fish's own heart pump out all of the blood, this can take longer on catfish. This will ensure you get the most blood out of the system. The blood is what rots the flesh out. When you are done bleeding, finish gutting without cutting any internal organs. Then ice the fish.

smokehound
11-20-2009, 05:16 AM
You guys may find the saltwater ice method weird, so heres a chemist's explanation about my method in scientific detail.

"Adding salt to the ice/water mix causes a temperature drop that slows the melting rate and increases the freezing rate. The net result is that the ice melts more and more slowly after the initial addition of salt."

try it out, you will be pleased with the outcome. Your fish will be chilled quicker, and your beers will be COLDER because they have salt in them as well.

billy b
11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
When you bring the fsh inside the boat ... it is suggested that you kill it instantly ... some say rap it's head against the side of the boat ... bleeding sounds like a good suggestion .... for the same reason. Experts say to kill it and put it immediately on ice.

Many of those fish baskets have a trap door top that floats ... good idea if you're shore fishing or still fishing ... BUT ... when trolling or worse - when you move the boat the door will spring open on you and the fish will escape.

I have one with a floating top for shore (with extra long cord so I can toss it out pretty far) ... and one with a metal, mesh top (just like the sides of the basket) for trolling.

FWIW