PDA

View Full Version : Mola mola in Malibu

YakN'Surf
11-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Did some snorkeling in Malibu today and saw a mola mola in about 25 feet of water right off the shore, probably about 75 pounds. I was amazed, i didnt know they come this close to shore. We were able to swim down to it and pet it without it even flinching. Wish I had a camera, it made my day. Are they common around here inshore like this?

cappo
11-15-2009, 06:43 PM
pretty cool sight to see. never seen them that close to shore.

candyman
11-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Wow I didn't even know what a mola mola was until I searched it up... too bad you didn't have a camera, that must have been a sight!!!

Oh and here is a link explaining why they might come in so close!!! El Nino!!!
http://www.oceanlight.com/html/mola_mola.html

TShaffer
11-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Musta been awesome to see it up close like that. I've seen em on occasion on the way over to Catalina.

Ambassadorhawg
11-16-2009, 06:28 AM
It may be weak or sick or following it's food supply to be that close in. I have seen them within a 1/4 mile of the beach off the Central Coast. if it didn't react when you touched it, I'd say it was sick....They can swim very fast when startled....

murrieta angler
11-16-2009, 04:40 PM
While out one day this past summer, my kids and I came across one and they were positive that we were looking at a shark...:LOL:
As I got closer I told them it was a Mola Mola and my daughter took a picture for one of her classes at school.