PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear 11-14-09

etaggart
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Slept in on Saturday 'cause it was chilly overnight! Hit the water with the tube near the Observatory at 9am - air temp was 36 degrees, bright and sunny, water was 45 degrees at the surface.

Picked up my first of two at 9:30 on a fly. Really soft hit, but landed a 14 incher. Tried to set it in my basket for a nice picture and it jumped back in the lake just before I snapped it.

Long time in cold water until I got my next one between Lighthouse Marina and Big Bear Shores marina at 12:30. This one hit like a freight train. Took a while to land it (only 18"+, but it was strong and feisty) and, of course, it spit the fly in my net and I fumbled it back in the water trying to get it in my stripping basket for a picture :Twisted: damn cold hands.

The wind wasn't bad, but it was blowing, so I let it take me all the way to Stanfield Cutoff. Had two good bumps near the east launch, but otherwise it was pretty slow.

I think that was my last day tubing on the lake for the season. The wife and I will hit Bear Mountain for some very early season snow boarding on Sunday.

Cheers!

ET

diamondbear
11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I was trolling right past you in my boat on sat. near the observ. I ended up limiting out sat. and sun. trolling night crawlers at 20 ft. in the west end of lk. PM me for better details . The bigger majority of holdover trout are in the west end of lk. I wish I knew it was a fellow FNNer I trolled past . thanks for the report . // db

etaggart
11-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey DB,

Great job on limiting both days. I was thinking hard about moving to the west end, but I was DAMN cold and didn't want to waste any time on my last day of tubing for the year :(

I'll see if I do some shore fishing in December before the snowboarding gets good. Already waiting for Springtime knowing those holdovers are gonna be hungry for my flies!

I'll try PMing you if I get up for some shore fishing in December to see if you'd like to connect.

I think I need to start wearing some FNN gear when I'm out!

ET

Kimura6985
11-19-2009, 10:01 PM
If u r looking for someone 2 fish w\ @ BBL pm me I go all the time, have a small alum boat w/ all the fixin's, would luv the company, Cheers!!

MammothMagic
11-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Great report way brave out the cold your an animal.