PDA

View Full Version : vail lake cat slayage 13th

bassaholic90
11-14-2009, 12:41 AM
i said to myself im going to target cats today no matter what!!!! i always catch cats on accident there so id give it a shot ..... got in the water arround 7 no wind, water was glass got to our destination caught 1 2lb-3lb cat, about 20 minits later i was day dreaming then i noticed my pole went bendo ....:Shocked: 9lb cat! The wind picked up then a little later bendo:EyePop:this one is pulling like heck 11lber there where a couple more 8s and 7s caught arround 45 pounds of cats all together FUN FUN FUN FUN most fun ive had cat slayin

bluehunter
11-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Great job out there. Before Vail Lake turned members only - it use to be my favorite lake. Big channels and big blues in there. Possibly even a state record maybe as they was getting 70 pounders years ago out of there. I truly miss that lake. Thanks for the report.

Native Gal
11-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Bassaholic90,
Those are some very nice cats, Congrats.:Thumbs Up:

NG
:Big Grin:

Ted
11-17-2009, 05:30 AM
This last Spring:

http://images.socalbassfishing.multiply.com/image/3:totallybass/photos/15/600x600/13/vail-6-5-0905.jpg?et=5c04or5r%2BfUA4OItIv3p1w&nmid=173245273

Fishbreath
11-17-2009, 06:17 AM
You know bassaholic90, I have often wanted to do what you did and spend a day focused on the catfish. Glad you had a fun day. I am convinced that the reason for so many big catfish in Vail is a direct result of the strict catch and release policy. Instead of winding up in a skillet, they just grow big and mean with no other purpose in life but to terrorize bass fishermen. Bluehunter, I have not seen nor heard of any blue cats in a while. With their typical lifespan of no more than 25 years, they have all probably died of old age by now. Ted, yours is a big male in its spawning colors. Note the swollen lobes on the head. If it is OK, I will join Ted in a little thread jack here. Here is an 18 1/2 pounder from earlier this year that was one of five in the same morning over 10 lbs.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/May272009001.jpg

Str8t Slabaronies
11-17-2009, 07:11 AM
I hear nothing but good things about Vail...must be nice to get on it.

Larry you've been catching nice cats out of there for the last few years.

muskyman
11-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Vail has easy triple digits in that place. The forage is good for the big boys and the pressure is non-existent. With San V gone, it would be worth it to buy a membership. I too remember the good old days when that place was in its hey days. The crappie in that place are sick !

Fishbreath
11-18-2009, 06:18 AM
There are a lot of good reasons to buy a Vail Lake membership, but one of them may not be to find a triple digit blue catfish. As I mentioned in my other post, I have not seen nor heard of any blue cats large or small recently. You would think with all the shad used for bait this year that some would have shown up. I would love to see a blue catfish stocking program resume there, but it is not likely to be a priority. As far as I know the one that Mike Long caught years ago that was 80lbs is still the lake record. It was caught from a float tube. The channel catfish are another matter. They do reproduce there, they are more than plentiful, and they are big. I know of one in the mid twenties last year, and earlier this year Art Hill had two brothers as clients, who had a double hookup and both landed 20+lb cats. You are right in respect to there being no real fishing pressure for catfish. Virtually all of them are caught incidental to bass fishing. The same applies for the crappie.

bluehunter
11-18-2009, 07:08 AM
There may be a few left over though. They do not reproduce there and the population may not be entirely huge. Some die offs may have seen a few or so show up on the bank even at least. I believe they got some blues around same time as San V and Otay. Otay is still thriving with them becasuse I believe Vail followed those lakes with the initial stockings up the 1985 and the 1985 stocks is a lot of the real big ones being caught now. If fishing pressure was what it once was someone may have pulled in a few or so. A stocking program would be great there but since it is private and more so a bass fishery it s likely not to happen. Maybe sometime in the future. Till then its Otay and San V and Irvine.

Str8t Slabaronies
11-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Vail has easy triple digits in that place. The forage is good for the big boys and the pressure is non-existent. With San V gone, it would be worth it to buy a membership. I too remember the good old days when that place was in its hey days. The crappie in that place are sick !

There is no way I could catch and release crappies. That would be such a tease for me.

frank5968
11-19-2009, 08:22 PM
i would love to fish that lake...how much is membership

Ted
11-21-2009, 03:26 PM
i would love to fish that lake...how much is membership

Here:
http://www.vaillakeresort.com/index.php?p=3_4_Vail-Lake-Membership

----