PDA

View Full Version : Trolling motor help

pasadenafishin
11-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Lately i have been renting boats at irvine. But, the rentals just dont seem to go as slow as i want the to for trolling. I am thinking that maybe I could buy a trolling motor and hook it to the back of the rental boat. My question is, can a trolling motor just be hooked on the back of a boat without screwing it in? Also what lbs thrust motor?(just for trolling)

bassmeister
11-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey pasadena,

Dont worry about a trolling motor, you'll just have to lug a 40 lb battery or two around. Just take some anchor rope and tie it to a 5 gallon plastic bucket and drag it behind the boat. If you have an portable drill ( 12 or 18 Volt ) and a 1/2 inch paddle bit you can adjust the speed ( if the bucket slows the boat to much) by drilling holes in the bottom of the bucket untill you find the speed you want. I did this in the past to troll for crappie and works great once you figure out the speed you want for the gas motor you are using.

Socal Bassman
11-13-2009, 11:49 PM
You can use a transom mount trolling motor that you can clamp on to just about any part of the boat. Motorguide also makes a foot controlled trolling motor with a clamp similar to a transom mount. The difference is it is foot controlled so it frees up your hands. I figure you also have to use your own battery as well. A good deep cycle battery can run you $100 or more so that's something else you have to consider.

Hometown
11-14-2009, 07:30 AM
You can use a transom mount trolling motor that you can clamp on to just about any part of the boat. Motorguide also makes a foot controlled trolling motor with a clamp similar to a transom mount. The difference is it is foot controlled so it frees up your hands. I figure you also have to use your own battery as well. A good deep cycle battery can run you $100 or more so that's something else you have to consider.

i got my 12volt deep cycle at wall mart 85 bucks best deal i could find they have them from 55bucks up to the 85 dollar one i bought :HOMETOWN:

pasadenafishin
11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Hey pasadena,

Dont worry about a trolling motor, you'll just have to lug a 40 lb battery or two around. Just take some anchor rope and tie it to a 5 gallon plastic bucket and drag it behind the boat. If you have an portable drill ( 12 or 18 Volt ) and a 1/2 inch paddle bit you can adjust the speed ( if the bucket slows the boat to much) by drilling holes in the bottom of the bucket untill you find the speed you want. I did this in the past to troll for crappie and works great once you figure out the speed you want for the gas motor you are using.

hey man, thats a great idea, i do that when trolling for stripers in the ocean. How far behind the boat do you drag the bucket?

AnglerBob
11-14-2009, 05:10 PM
The good thing about the trolling motor though is the added stealth and the fact that if you mount it on a rented rowboat, it's cheaper than renting a motorboat. I plan on doing this at Irvine this season. The economics of this may or may not justify spending $ on a motor and battery, though.

Also unknown is how long the battery will run for, the first paddle back from Sierra Cove could change my mind on this plan :Smile:

CALFISHER4EVR
11-14-2009, 06:09 PM
You can also buy a drift sock to slow you speed. They also work good for winding conditions on the lake. Drop it in the water and let the wind carry you slowly over good fishing areas. When you are done, just roll it up and take it home.

karlow
11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Humm you need to add disk brakes to that thing!

KP

Other thought I have a trolly motor I could sale you!
I have neved used the thing, I traded a bait bag for it.
What do you have to trade?

Hometown
11-17-2009, 07:24 PM
The good thing about the trolling motor though is the added stealth and the fact that if you mount it on a rented rowboat, it's cheaper than renting a motorboat. I plan on doing this at Irvine this season. The economics of this may or may not justify spending $ on a motor and battery, though.

Also unknown is how long the battery will run for, the first paddle back from Sierra Cove could change my mind on this plan :Smile:

i went to sierra cove and back twice in my inflatable with a group 27 max deep cycle from wall mart